Forums Latest Members
  1. rkkdervan Jul 25, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am young and new to vintage watch collecting. I found this large-face vintage Omega and from research on this site and on my own, I know it is a Frankenstein watch. The movement has newer parts with exception of the balance wheel. However, everything other than that seems to be original. I have read some differing opinions in this forum on Frankenstein watches. Some people have said they're only worth 50usd (next to nothing) no matter what, while others say that they are worth the sum of the original parts. Based on what I have read here, the sum of the original parts method would peg this watch at around 150-200usd (original dial, hands, case, and case-back).

Omega 1.JPG Omega 2.JPG Omega 3.JPG Omega 4.JPG Omega 5.JPG Omega 6.JPG Omega 7.JPG

Is it bad etiquette in the watch community to buy Frankenstein watches? Is my estimation a fair price? I don't plan on selling it again so resale value doesn't really matter for me. Also, is it possible to one day find an original whole movement for this watch piece (as in a complete movement from the similar time period)? If I were to put this movement in this watch, would it still be considered a Frankenstein watch?

I know the whole post may seem like an oxymoron but I am eager to get into the vintage game and the realistic time horizon for when I can comfortably afford a 500usd+ watch is in 5 years. Thank you for your time.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 25, 2017

There's no bad etiquette in watch collecting; it's a preference. Some collectors want original dial, crown, etc, some don't care. All that matters is if you like it. Movements are another thing. I would worry that it may not run properly if there are franken parts in it.

3. Canuck Jul 25, 2017

"Themovement has newer parts with exception of the balance wheel. However, everything other than that seems to be original."

I am having a great deal of difficulty in figuring out what you meant in the statement above! What are you trying to tell us, please? How can a movement with new parts otherwise be original? Are you saying the balance wheel is the only original part? If you are new to collecting, how is it you have determined that it is a "Frankenstein watch?" If you haven't bought the watch, check out the seller's return policy. If you can return it, maybe buy it and have it checked out.

4. rkkdervan Jul 25, 2017

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant that I thought the balance wheel seems to be the only original part. I thought that movements that weren't stamped with 3 digits (to identify the movement) and a small Omega sign meant that the parts were generic or replacement. The seller lists the watch as 60 years old and during that time the movements were stamped this way (as far as I know). I haven't bought the watch and the seller is not knowledgeable about the item. Also, I made that assumption because it looks like the metal did not age uniformly.

Thanks in advance for correcting me if I am wrong about anything said above.

5. any4xx Jul 25, 2017

I'm still a newby here, so my opinion isn't worth much. But I do have one. I collected cars for several years. I got out of "original" cars because I found that they owned me rather than gave me pleasure. I'm new to (fine) watches, but I refuse to allow another material possession to own me ever again. If I like something, I want it and will buy it. If I like most things about it, but want to change something to suit my tastes, I'll change it. If I really like a "vintage" watch for what it is NOW, I'll buy it and be happy. We can be driven crazy by being a slave to "originality." Although, certainly there is more monetary value in that. So my $0.02 is: If you like it and it runs, buy it.

Mister2kris, jud, Paedipod and 2 others like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 25, 2017

I do think it has a new bridge... but I'm not 100% sure I'd call this a Frankenstein... At least not in a derogatory way. While this may not be too market.. it's not a Speedmaster where there are a lot of examples and appearance of 100% originality is key.

Movement, case, and dial appear to be correct. Serial seems in the ballpark. But you would have to research it.

ConElPueblo and rkkdervan like this.
  7. Temprus Jul 25, 2017

You are totally wrong. For example, the 30t2 caliber does not have three digits and omega logo stamped on the bridge.
    The dial seems redone. Also, I think, that the case was not made by Omega. The movement seems to be assembled from different movements.

If the watch is so suspicious for you - why you want to buy it?

rkkdervan likes this.
  8. rkkdervan Jul 25, 2017

I don't mind that the watch isn't original. I just was wondering which parts were original and what a reasonable price would be based on that.

9. Canuck Jul 25, 2017

I think you need to find out the return policy, and if there is a return policy, let the seller know you wish to have it checked out. A 100% original 70 year old watch would be next to impossible to find. And if repairs have been done skillfully over those years using the correct original parts (after all, correct original parts are the only parts that will fit), it appears to me that a watch wouldn't really be a frankenwatch. There may be other opinions, but based on the pictures you posted, I don't see a lot wrong with the Omega.

You mentioned a "three digit number". I have uploaded a link to the Ranfft archive which shows a caliber 220 movement which has no three digit number. Earlier versions of this movement usually had the caliber marked beside the balance wheel (the flywheel), and they used a different numbering system on the earlier ones.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Omega_220

sjg22 and rkkdervan like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2017

Plenty of other watches out there that are complete and in better condition. No need to start off with frankens

Swiss watch picked up at a antique store ( about $50US )

image.jpeg image.jpeg

marco, rkkdervan and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Canuck Jul 25, 2017

Inside the case back, it appears to me as though the Omega symbol indicates is could be an Omega case. There are no extra case screw marks on the case flange around the movement which might indicate a movement swap. It looks to me as though the parts are correct Omega parts, but as to are all the parts "original"? There's no way to know, and is that really important, as long as they are correct? If the seller is asking 150 to 200, I personally don't think that is exhorbitant. If you would prefer an OMEGA for 150 or so, rather than a generic no-name watch for lunch money, it is your decision to make. The dial? Some have said it has been refinished. I guess I have a less jaundiced eye than some, but it looks okay to me. Mind you, i don't want to get into an argument on that topic.

12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 25, 2017

Dial looks fine to me as well, printing is nice and crisp as is the sub-dial texture.

2458 is a correct Omega reference number as well.

Just because the balance bridge has been replaced would not in my mind make this a franken. Remember at one time these were just watches, so parts were replaced without regard for future collectability (or not).

Edited Jul 25, 2017
    Larry S, Paedipod, efauser and 4 others like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 25, 2017

I can't see anything Franken about the OPs watch.
    Difference in bridge colours may simply be due to the main plate and balance being cleaned separately to the barrel and train bridges. This is done so that the balance assembly (minus cap jewels) can be safely cleaned "in-situ".

The crown may be new but is the correct style for the period, the dial looks original to me (based on the pics provided).

While it's not a pristine collector item, I would think it's a good starter at the right price.

mikechi22, ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.
  14. bigsom Jul 25, 2017

I like the dial, cool multi-tone texture. Also the dial doesn't look redone to me. The hands also look correct and are pretty.

I've never seen an SS caseback with a gold case in this vintage. I was under the impression that cal 30T2 or cal 26x watches were either SS or solid gold.

15. perks713 Jul 25, 2017

I think it's a nice looking watch. I couldn't even guess at what a fair price is but I say if it keeps time accurately you should go for it.

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 25, 2017

No, there were plenty of gold plated, typically 40 or 80-micron cases with ss backs produced. These would be the least collectable.

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. bigsom Jul 25, 2017

Thank you for clearing that up, excellent to know.

18. ConElPueblo Jul 26, 2017

If the price is okay, I wouldn't discount this one. Pleasing looks and a very modern size too. If you tire of it, I don't think it should be difficult to move on a 38mm rose gold (plated) vintage watch. The replaced parts in the movement, if any, wouldn't put me off.

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 26, 2017

FIFY :p

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  20. ConElPueblo Jul 26, 2017

Oi! :p

It's been more than a year since I last bought a gold capped Omega! :D

Tik-Tok of Oz and STANDY like this.