Forums Latest Members

Buyer has bank info, now being dodgy, help?

1. jayrock26 Mar 4, 2016

Hi guys,

so im selling a watch on another forum and me and this guy mark has come to agreement on a sale. the method of payment is bank wire transfer. now its been 3 days and he indicates hes out of town and cant do the wire and is suggesting a check. he has all my bank info and im getting the feeling its a scam hes not making attempts to go to the bank and send the money...

any help?
    joel

2. Dombo63 Mar 4, 2016

Walk away. He can easily arrange transfer over the phone. A cheque can bounce up to three days after showing in your account.

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 4, 2016

Contact your bank, put a temporary hold on all cheques written from your account and block any wire transfers.

4. jayrock26 Mar 4, 2016

will do asap, it seems fishy and hes a slow responder he even asked for my address

thanks for the help

5. uvalaw2005 Mar 4, 2016

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Once someone has the bank info, it should be 24 hours at most, no reason a check would be better for him.

6. wx_073 Mar 4, 2016

Just inform your bank about this situation. Cheers.

7. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2016

Send him a scathing message calling him all sorts of vulgar names, threaten his pets, and then close your accounts, move to Montana, and live off the grid.

..... just kidding!

Malik713, flw, Nitzbar and 5 others like this.
  8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 4, 2016

if you pick up odd vibes: walk

otoh: i once did a bank wire from LatAm to Germany and my bank also INSISTED on an address of the seller (money laundering laws,iirc)

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 4, 2016

Yes, asking for the receiver's address is not uncommon.

But agree with others. If you have a bad feeling, take precautions. It's a bit odd that you'd make contact to buy a watch, then go on a trip.

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 4, 2016

And your bank will likely close your existing account and open another for you. Let them do this without complaint. It's the best for them and the best for you.

The more you wait, the greater a risk you take.

Tom

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

Even when it is not a scam things can go Incredibly wrong.
    Dealing with 2 of the 10 largest banks in the US.
    I sent money for a watch to a member here and my bank took 3 days to send it
    Then the recipients bank lost the money for a week.
    Then the wire transfer division in the recipients bank could not figure out how to get the funds in the correct account, another week..
    Finally the recipients personal banker at his branch got it done in twenty minutes (he had been out on vacation, you can't make this stuff up.)
    The recipient did not want to send the watch until the funds were in the correct account.
    Then the US Postal Service mislabeled the package with another (placing the receipt for senders payment on another's package.
    Thus, giving my package tracking showing the watch was in route to Phillidelphia! ( Which is fine if your name is Ulackfocus, but it's not :mad:)
    The package tracking then showed picked up in Phillidelphia.:(:(:(
    Finally the P.S figured it out and then the watch arrived 2 days later.
    By that time my hand was shaking as I opened the package the second it was handed to me. Thank God the watch was there and all correct and not a box of rocks.

13. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 4, 2016

Just had a client put Apollo 13 on a wire description.. Bank froze it for over a week because they thought I might be selling government stuff...

Nitzbar, Traveler, jayrock26 and 2 others like this.
  14. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2016

Yeah, well that's the initiation when you buy a watch like that. We forgot to tell you about the process? :D

15. abrod520 Mar 4, 2016

16. Ray916MN Mar 4, 2016

Stuff does happen on up and up transactions.

I bought a motorcycle off a guy across the country. The bike was legit and on the up and up. I first found it on consignment at a reputable dealer and I got all the maintenance records from them. Wire the money to the seller and the wire gets held. ??? The wire is held, but I can't get a clear answer why. My brokerage says more information is needed on the recipient. They want the recipient's home address. OK. I'd already figured that out during my background check on the seller, I provide the address. OK, now we need his DOB. OK, I'd figured that one out too before sending the funds. OK now we need his driver's license number. Wahhhh??? I don't have that and I'm not going to ask the seller for this information, especially since I still don't have a clear answer on why the money is being held and I'm not meeting my commitment to wire the funds. I tell the seller there is some kind of delay on the wire, but that I'm working on it.After 2 days of back and forth, I finally get the answer on why it is being held. The recipient is on some kind of terrorist watch list OK, we're at a stalemate. Can I stop the wire and get the funds back. You can stop the wire, but the funds can be held. How long can they be held for. Indefinitely. Are you serious? I cancel the wire and overnite the seller a cashier's check. After another few days, the bank calls me up and says the funds have been released and put back in my account.

Frightening that a simple attempt to legitimately buy something can get your money stuck in a black hole and make you look like a wanker to a seller.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 4, 2016

As said some banks want the address of who you are sending. Get it a bit if swift code doesn't work.
    I get stuck out of town with dodgy Internet I wouldn't use for bank transfer

Give him a week to put money in your bank account and move on. Not as if you have sent him the watch yet.

Archer likes this.
  18. Perseus Mar 4, 2016

I use a savings account for receiving wire transfers. The bank man said they wouldn't be able to remove any money with that info.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  19. jayrock26 Mar 4, 2016

thanks for all the feedback guy! i contacted my bank they claimed it was okay if anything happens i will get my money back as it would be fraudulent.

Kringkily i actually laughed out loud a little bit at your comment... classic

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

Remember: Wire transfers in the US are regulated and controlled by the FED. The rules and requests for information are from the FED. All documents pass through the FED for approval. No communication between the two banks is permitted that does not go through the FED first.
    This is all Gov't keeping track of all transfers of large money sums.