Forums Latest Members

Buy the seller not the watch!

1. wx_073 Mar 15, 2019

Hi Folks,
    wondering how it works to you as it saying buy the seller not the watch? Does it matter at the end of day?
    Long story short.
    Found the watch I was looking for, outstanding condition, with the history, papers, priced very well. Contacted seller with few questions just to make connection and build formal relationship as everything was stated clearly. But from other end was straight statement cash only - thats ok, inspection only at AD- no problem, he's local seller few hours to drive. All conversation went through PM and when I asked to provide me some personal details and phone number to continue the conversation seller rejected it without any reason. I was told to come with cash to AD and buy the watch if I like it or don't waste his time. I explained that everything is ok, I have genuine interest in the watch and could provide all my details as well. He just said he really don't care about it,- take it or leave it! I know that the watch is really what I'm looking for.
    Would I just buy the watch and enjoy it? But will I enjoy it if I'll give my money for the person who even don't have a will to listen what I'm saying and what I got only rude behaviour?
    Never had situation like this before but in my case I'm feeling it's a dealbreaker.
    Whats your thoughts folks?!

2. ATWG Mar 15, 2019

Walk away, if the seller is not willing to provide adequate information to make you comfortable. Always buy the seller, there will be other opportunities.

George.A, 89-0, Ree and 7 others like this.
  3. JanV Mar 15, 2019

Hmmm..... Cash only deal... No names or numbers..... Maybe should be looked into a bit more, sound like someone’s trying to fence stolen or shady items? Just my thoughts...

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 15, 2019

If someone was going to rob you, follow you out of the AD, then this is how they would do it.

Wetworks, wx_073, KingCrouchy and 3 others like this.
  5. chronoboy64 Mar 15, 2019

+ 1 or ist is "hot" stuff

6. BradleyJ. Mar 15, 2019

Not defending the seller but me personally, I don't give out my personal phone number and I'd prefer to keep it between email and PM/DMs. That's just me and others would be fine with dishing out their number. I look at it this way, there's tons of tire kickers, if you had to check emails, PMs AND answer calls from all the tire kickers it would get old fast. Not sure what other personal info you were looking for.

On the other hand if this person is a watch seller and it's a business, then he should act more professional. If this is a personal sale, then that's probably just how he operates. Cash only isnt that bad if it's a personal sale. He may want to avoid fees.

In the end I'd say go with your gut. If you dont feel comfortable then dont go thru with it.

7. wx_073 Mar 15, 2019

I'm 100% sure the watch is legit as the seller have well build reputation on local forum other way I wouldn't contact him at all. Atmosphere of trust and comfort is very important for me personally before you pass your funds to somebody else. In this situation it feels like vacuum.

8. Bushido Mar 15, 2019

It's takes just as much effort to type something polite as it does to type out a rude response. If I'm contacting someone, in which I am polite and professional, and their response is the opposite, they can shove off. Basic decency in interaction requires minimal work.

In your shoes OP, I would find the watch elsewhere.

Wetworks likes this.
  9. wx_073 Mar 15, 2019

:eek: Agree it could happen. Anyway the plan was leave the watch for movement service as it was done 9 years ago.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 15, 2019

Idk. I see it from his side if your an unknown on the other forum. Meet at AD,verify watch, leave for service under your name...

If that’s the case not wierd, but you don’t have to buy from him if your uncomfortable.

wx_073 likes this.
  11. wx_073 Mar 15, 2019

Thats what I'm about. I bought the watch from US, here on OF. Seller offer me to make a Skype call and we have a short conversation. It's no questions left after our chat except good memories which ones stays for long time. And without dubt conversation help me to trasnsfer funds with peace in mind. Sometimes you need just to smile, shake hands or say welcome. :)

Bushido likes this.
  12. OMEGuy Mar 15, 2019

Dealbreaker for me.

13. wx_073 Mar 15, 2019

I didnt see any problem leave the watch for service under my name if money paid for it. Other way maybe I took it too much personally...

14. drhombus24 Mar 15, 2019

What kind of personal information are you asking for? I exclusively buy all of my watches locally, and I only get the guys name and phone number when I do buy. Everything else I can pretty much get from a quick google.

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 15, 2019

Yes, good memories, and an awesome watch. :)

wx_073 likes this.
  16. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 15, 2019

The seller may not be the most diplomatic guy around buttttt, he may be protecting himself from theft, robbery or burglary. If he gives you information that can be used to track him to his location, that would make him very vulnerable.

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. wx_073 Mar 15, 2019

Seeing your point here, actually its main public sales platform (cars, jewellery, furniture, etc.). Both of us long time users here with feedbacks from previous deals so most likely he's not my seller as I'm not his buyer.

18. Wetworks Mar 15, 2019

Buy the seller. If you're not comfortable, move on. You're spending good money on something you want, there shouldn't be an added stressor taking away from your enjoyment. As the Brits say, tell him to 'sod off.':cool:

wx_073 likes this.
  19. Evitzee Mar 15, 2019

You are buying a watch, not making a buddy for life. He's given you pictures and wants to meet to do the deal, at a watch dealer. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me......so drive the few hours with cash, inspect the watch and decide if you want it. Then do the deal. If he is setting you up for a robbery or to sell you hot merchandise he is going through a lot of effort.

I did a deal a couple of months ago in a similar fashion. Found a new watch (MSRP $13,000) which a small online dealer was offering, I wanted to trade in a 3 year old JLC watch. We emailed a few times and he said he needed $800 in cash plus my JLC for his offering. Fine, and we arranged to meet at a small watch repair joint at a strip center that was 225 miles away. I drove in with my watch and $800, we inspected each other's watch, I gave him $800 in cash and walked out happy as a clam. Never even thought that I might be set up for a robbery to steal my JLC and cash. It's good to be careful but there seems to be a lot angst on this forum. A face to face deal presents no problem to me as long as you meet in some sort of public place and not in a dark alley after dark on a moonless night. If you are looking for some sort of 'experience' in every transaction you should pass on this one.

Edited Mar 15, 2019
    wx_073 likes this.
  20. BradleyJ. Mar 15, 2019

Seems like a deal was set up like any other face to face transaction. Maybe just paranoia?

20190315_223532.jpg