Forums Latest Members

Buy Speedy Tuesday or Mod a 3572.50 w/ Mitsukoshi dial for $5K less?

1. larryganz The cable guy Mar 14, 2018

The title says it all. For the price of a Speedy Tuesday, I can pick up a used 2005 Speedy 3572.50 (Hesalite up front and sapphire case-back), and install my Mitsukoshi dial and silver hand set + leave the $5K difference in the bank. I have to decide by the weekend.

I'm already going to install my White Italian Dial, black hands, red sweep second hand, and 15 Pulsations dial, into my 2013 Speedy 3570.50 for the Paramedic mod, so this would be my second mod. Then I'll have my black dial 1976 Speedy, and both modded Speedy's. How many Speedy's is too many?

I have at least 2 sets of hands for each dial mod, so I only have enough to get through the next 30-50 years worth of watch services (assuming 3-5x that I can reuse each set of hands). With a Speedy Tuesday I wont have to worry about stocking spare parts as it will be all original. (I also have a spare crystal, bezel, pushers, crown, mainspring, barrel, and 1171 bracelet for my 861 Speedy - now looking for spare Tritium hands).

What say you?

If I get the #ST I might not mod my any Speedy's at all, and I'd maybe have to sell my spare dials and hands to help defray the cost of the #ST. But I also am NOT IN LOVE with the #ST and feel I might be interested only for Fear Of Missing Out. If I have a couple of modded 3570/3572 and get bored with them I could easily sell one or the other or both later.

nima0071 likes this.
  2. pascs Mar 15, 2018

Thats a tough one. I have both a Mitsukoshi mod and the ST and the ST definitely is something special, maybe a bit more than the Mitsukoshi mod. It could just be because one is a mod and the other is a limited edition from Omega. For my Mitsukoshi I used the hands from the FOIS so it has a slightly different look than the normal Mitsukoshi.

The Italian dial, I never took to the dial as its cream and I was just never happy with it. It will be interesting to see how you like it. Maybe with sapphire it looks less cream but in the hesalite case I had it in it didnt work for me.

And the question how many Speedies is too many, I better just :D rather than answer that .......glad I bought my Speedies and mod parts some years back before the prices got so steep.

3. larryganz The cable guy Mar 15, 2018

Thanks, prices have doubled since I got my dials and hands a few years back. I've just been slow to move on getting the donor watches.

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 15, 2018

You answered your own dilemma, no? But love...she is a funny thing...

5. Bushido Mar 15, 2018

With last year's ST being a reverse panda dial, I could see Omega releasing a panda this year for their #ST second release. If that were to happen, would it sway your plans in a direction with the Mitsukoshi mod or 2017 ST? It would seem that if a panda is released, it would give you the dial and the LE in one package.

Personally, I missed out on reserving an ST last year and have toyed with getting a 35th anniversary. I've decided to hold on either until I see what Omega brings in 2018.

whitewolf777 likes this.
  6. Ree Mar 15, 2018

With ST trading above retail at the moment, I think it's best to wait for another week and see what Basel will bring. If anything catches your eye then buying one at retail would be a pleasure.
    I've done a Mitsu mod before and now sold it. I liked it at first but overtime the fact that it's modded bugged me. Maybe that's just me.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. larryganz The cable guy Mar 15, 2018

I woke up in the morning after the #ST was announced, but reservations were gone and I got on the wait list. Omega sent me some swag, but no ST.

I like the #ST but I'm just not sure it's worth the premium over just installing my mod dials into a pair of older Speedy's and still having $5K left in the bank. And the numbering on the subdials not being symmetrical still drives me a little nuts. but from a distance all you see is a sweet panda dial so I could forgive it.

The draw of the #ST is that it's a nice panda Speedy that I don't need to mod and worry about maintaining spare parts for later (mostly hands that wear out), and it doesn't wear small like my previous CK-2998 LE. The #ST that I'm considering is at a fair price, it can ship as soon as I pay, and I've dealt with the seller before, but it's only being held for me until Saturday.

If prices go up later I simply wont like the "price to enjoyment ratio" enough to buy, so I feel pressure to jump on it now. I really don't like this "now or never" feeling, especially when at this point it feels safer to drop $3K on a Speedy to mod than spending over $8k for a #ST.

Plus, I'm still on the list for a ceramic bezel Daytona, and if I drop a big wad of cash on the the #ST now then I might have to decline the Daytona if it ever comes in after 2yr on the wait list (I don't go into debt for watches).

8. lillatroll Mar 15, 2018

I would wait. If you have any doubt then why spend the money? Basel World is next week, I would wait until then, you might find something that hits all the right buttons and not have the funds available. Secondly, any release is unlikely to be on your wrist before Autumn and your Daytona might turn up in the meantime.

9. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Mar 15, 2018

Definitely agree with waiting for Baselworld just around the corner. Also the price on the secondary market has dropped alot on the ST, I think there's still room for it to hit close to RRP as I think there's still plenty of flippers waiting to trickle feed them onto the market. If Basel reveals some exciting new designs it could further impact the ST and be the key moment to grab one.

10. chunkythebulldog Mar 15, 2018

So you sell your ST at list or close to last month and then you start a new thread saying you didn't get an ST but only some Omega "Swag" but are now contemplating buying an ST?? Sounds like a load of BS to me.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/shipped-my-snoopy-out-just-6-hours-ago.70885/

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 15, 2018

Unpopular opinion but the ceramic Daytona beats the ST...

Black bezel white face panda Daytona’s with all of their problems are iconic. The ST which has so many cool details lost on most owners no longer does it for me.

WRBOmega, speedamatuer and Traveler like this.
  12. bazderome Mar 15, 2018

Well it's not the same budget at all you cannot really compair the two! I personally don't like the ceramic bezel

Tet likes this.
  13. Ree Mar 15, 2018

14. chunkythebulldog Mar 15, 2018

You're correct and apologies to @larryganz I read it as ST

15. larryganz The cable guy Mar 15, 2018

I don't see where you think I EVER had an Speedy Tuesday. What are you smoking? I'd like to try some... ::bleh::

16. lillatroll Mar 15, 2018

The thread is about a Silver Snoopy not an ST. There does not seem to be any mention of an ST in the OPs thread on the Silver Snoopy.

17. larryganz The cable guy Mar 15, 2018

In Feb and March I sold my Snoopy for cash, traded a GMT II Coke for cash and 3570.50, traded one of my two POLMLE for a Grey Side of the Moon, and sold my 40mm black Rolex 16570 Explorer II for cash. Both Rolex 40mm felt too small on my wrist, and the GSOTM is for my son.

Most of the cash was used to pay off a furnace and hot water heater, plus an unexpected tax bill. I'm just looking at finishing up with some cash left over vs putting all of what's left back into watches.

18. chunkythebulldog Mar 15, 2018

Fresh mountain air

Already apologised was reading another thread on the ST when I posted on this one

19. larryganz The cable guy Mar 15, 2018

And I had this thread open for a while before I actually posted, so I didn't see your apology until after I posted. No problem.

20. lillatroll Mar 15, 2018

I think lots of people posted at the same time, no big deal.