Forums Latest Members

Buy a blank caseback to engrave for new moonwatch?

1. maxelman Jan 12, 2019

I'm considering buying a blank (or at least less-embellished) caseback for my new 311.30.42.30.01.005 and am curious if it's a standard size, and if I should be aware of any complications. Would this caseback for a Mark II 145.014 work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202537978001?ul_noapp=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks for any advice!

2. redzer007 Jan 12, 2019

No don't think that would work, very different cases, also that case back is not blank, it's just had the hippocampus polished out (most likely)

I'm not sure if there are blank casebacks for the moon watch

You can get sapphire casebacks, maybe get the sapphire engraved (not sure this is possible only a thought)

If there is something I'm sure someone will be along with suggestions shortly

3. ext1 Jan 12, 2019

The way to have the most blank caseback that will fit a modern speedy to my knowledge is to polish off the hippocampus and the speedmaster engraving off a premoon caseback. Of course if you're going to do this PLEASE do it on a service part. (I'm sure your wallet will agree)

Otherwise it would be hard to polish off the engraving in the center in the modern models, unless you're OK with just only able to work around the sides.

4. maxelman Jan 12, 2019

Any tips on how to get that service part? I don't have an AD I go to regularly, but I know there's a Tourbillon Boutique here in SF that should be able to order a part. How would I find that part number?

5. ext1 Jan 12, 2019

Actually it's kind of tricky....I had to get a couple myself and it wasn't easy (maybe I'm just bad at finding these things)

I am not aware that AD will do it for you. I wish it were that easy!

You can go ahead and buy on ebay the service parts but they are hella overpriced so I wasn't willing to pay the obnoxious asking prices.

I waited around and looked at watch forum ads and asked around and got one.

6. redzer007 Jan 12, 2019

Still think a display case may be best bet, there is loads of room around the edges for engraving

Have a look on
    http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/

I'm not affiliated in anyway, but I have one on my mark ii

Foo2rama and marco like this.
  7. ext1 Jan 12, 2019

I think if engraving only the edges, the standard speedy caseback will be better to start with. Or even a 3594.50 caseback would be the best. That already starts off with no text.

8. irta Jan 14, 2019

How about a see thru case back and engrave the saphire crystal?
    Just a thought.

9. mikekchc Jan 14, 2019

I wonder what that would look like - anyone seen an example?

10. irta Jan 15, 2019

I've never seen it but some LE's have inside of the caseback painted or a sticker applied and they look awesome.
    IE Gemini and Snoopy as examples.