Forums Latest Members
  1. tikkathree Mar 2, 2018

I've pretty much had ten years of autos and hand crankers on the back of most of a lifetime of quartz watches. You might ask if it's snobbery but for me there is something in the tactility and engagement with autos & hand crankers. I have a Porsche Design Eterna quartz which doesn't get an even share of wrist time, more like once every 60 days.

Now, maybe four years after my first foray into Omega I'm back again and deeply, deeply smitten by my Aqua Terra opaline Co-Axial and am giving thought to what next and whilst a blue teak dial is on the bucket list I do look at the relatively lighter prices of pre-owned quartz models of AT, Seamaster and Seamaster Professional 300m. I realise that some of the AT aren't teak dials but the whole quartz thing....

Maybe it's just me. My retired lifestyle is relatively slow-moving so I don't have the need for a quartz watch but, as I say, the quartz versions cost less than the Co-Axials: what can you say to persuade me that a quartz Omega really IS a legitimate Omega?

2. N05J3W3 Mar 2, 2018

I'm open to the idea that Omega's thermo-compensated movements are a horological accomplishment, and that watches like the X-33 are a natural and logical evolution of Omega's purpose. Even on the dress side, the Double Eagle offers that precision along with fine casework and a masterful bracelet design.
    Horological appreciation is about more than the MSRP, right?
    Interesting that Grand Seiko's quartz models are not quickly dismissed as something other.

3. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2018

Don't look for me to endorse a battery powered assault on horology. :cautious: :thumbsdown:

Before my recent avatar change, my tag line was "vociferous quartophobe". I, too, did over a decade of quartz watches (in my 20's) and am not interested in regressing. Only move forwards, never backwards..... which is ironic, given the timeline of mechanical versus IC chip watches.

tikkathree, blufinz52 and Fritz like this.
  4. N05J3W3 Mar 2, 2018

I guess I see this as a red wine, white wine issue. Sure, I have a preference, but there's a time and place for each. Good wine is good wine, in whatever variety.

bardamu likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2018

As a collector of both wine and watches, I couldn't disagree more. A stainless steel bracelet with a battery powered IC chip using a quartz crystal as a regulator that has a time display is not horology, it's technology.

Dedalus05, Yam2k, flw and 2 others like this.
  6. N05J3W3 Mar 2, 2018

Mechanical tech or electronic tech, it's performing the same function, is it not? Horology as 'the study of time' has lots of room for both. A modern Porshe may be equipped with a PDK automatic and all of its electronic aids, but I'm not sure that makes it less of a car. It seems to me that an open-minded enthusiast who dives deep into this hobby is likely to arrive at an appreciation for well-engineered and executed mechanical and quartz, eventually.

But then, we don't need to agree, do we?

kwolson59 likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2018

If you weren't so new, you could have saved all that typing and simply countered with a post of "May I remind you of the Reverso of MisFortune?" and I'd have shut up. :p

8. N05J3W3 Mar 2, 2018

Just searched that. I think we've all been very close to that kind of situation, if we're honest about it. Good to see you have a sense of humour about it.

Perhaps, had you kept it, it would have grown on you? <g>

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2018

I'd actually forgotten that until now, but I'll have to find the thread again at some point, must have been an odd feeling winding it up and going man these JLC movements are sooo nice and smooth in how they wind its like there's no resistance at all, no wonder they're used by AP & Patek

tyrantlizardrex and ulackfocus like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2018

But I've been saving this for over a year for you :(
    [​IMG]

Alpha, Fritz and ulackfocus like this.
  11. N05J3W3 Mar 2, 2018

Tough crowd, huh?

ulackfocus likes this.
  12. timjohn Mar 2, 2018

PDK? I draw the line at anything with full synchromesh. 612F3603-C68A-49D6-BCA4-35465CCFA5F1.jpeg

noelekal, Alpha, eyedoc751 and 4 others like this.
  13. CaptDngr Mar 2, 2018

Truthfully there are only a handful of quartz movements I find appealing.

Omega's is one of them (in either the X-33 or the Z-33.

Others I find exciting (due to their incredible accuracy and reliability) would be the Breitling SuperQuartz and the Grand Seiko 9F82 Caliber (+5s/year accuracy -- though it's not in any watches I actually find personally appealing).

14. ulackfocus Mar 2, 2018

Don't forget the mecaquartz hybrids - a quartz caliber with a mechanical chrono module on it. There are nice ones from Seiko, JLC (found most commonly in the IWC, where the subdial and day/date look like a 7750), and I think Breitling.

kwolson59 likes this.
  15. Riviera Paradise Mar 2, 2018

What about this "quartz" watch Dennis, with a quartz regulated escapement?

Not my preference visually...but pretty impressive finishing

16. lillatroll Mar 3, 2018

I think the main reason we spend stupid amounts of money on watches is because the perception of something being "hand crafted" justifies the price.
    There are quartz movements that are well put together with high quality finishes and look good too. The omega 1538 movement found in the seamaster is a fine movement and will be hassle free, more sturdy and more accrate than any mechanical or automatic movement In any price class or any brand you can think of.
    What it really comes down to is your own perception of what a quality watch should be. If you feel that a quartz watch will be somehow inferior then I don t think there is much point in buying one because you will never be really happy with it.

Anj, N05J3W3 and Vitezi like this.
  17. tikkathree Mar 3, 2018

I think I can agree that we don't need to agree.

You have successfully baited my hook though. The air-cooled v water-cooled Porsche thing: unless you're pointing towards one of the more extreme track-focused iterations (in which case we aren't comparing like with like) my 2wd water-cooled 996 is way more capable than the air-cooled equivalent and now represents reliable every day performance motoring (whereas the air-cooled currently represents high investment high days and dry days collector car motoring).

Now, back to quartz watches: thus far down the thread you appear to be a lone voice but I'm going to read on. Thank you.

eyedoc751 likes this.
  18. tikkathree Mar 3, 2018

New bulkhead and rear crossmember required any time soon hahahaha!

19. tikkathree Mar 3, 2018

Oh I've tried mecaquartz - I don't bond with them. The Seiko versions, they just feel quartz. And they don't look anything like a wobbler which most commonly has subdials at 9 - running seconds, 12 - chrono elapsed minutes and 6 - chrono elapsed hours woth day and date usually at three. See? That's what I'm measuring against - the good old wobbler.

20. tikkathree Mar 3, 2018

Well bless me! Here's a kind soul taking the trouble to transfer some knowledge... I'm off to EBay. with "1538" in the search field......:)

UPDATE: I went to EBay and looked at a number of Seamaster Pro 300m and Seamaster 200m (some shocking looking photos of decayed lume), thoughts? Beater, why do I need a quartz beater when I currently have three perfectly nice and new/virtually new autos which get pressed into beater service (an Ollech & Wajs 7750, a new Brass Armida and a Taiwan microbrand both of which use Seiko's NH35 movement).

I like the black wave dial, I'm unconvinced by the blue wave. I'm not in love with those skellington hands.

Why, I even looked at the Polaris but whilst I get the funky space race look, I fear that the case size would wear me down just like Bulova Hummers did.

Then I reminded myself that I'd started by trying to not look at older quartz ATs: that was at least two weeks ago. I also reminded myself that I have brought a Seiko 7T34 quartz chrono on holiday with me and that's currently over there, not being worn, like the kid nobody picks for the team even though he's a solid reliable defender.

Know where I am now guys? Square One. But I think I'm seeing a little more clearly that buying a quartz Omega would be buying one for the sake of buying one. So if I do buy one it ought to come as part of a package of reasons, like a teak dial, date window surround and look absolutely fantastic. Yes I think we might have it summed up there: the risk of an impulse purchase is passing quickly. The acid test? The quartz watches I own and seldom wear. Phew!

Edited Mar 3, 2018