Forums Latest Members
  1. Owen B Feb 11, 2019

Hello all,

New to the forum here.

Wondering whether anyone can tell me whether a 1952 Bumper Seamaster (2494 / 2657 cal 342Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) should have a screw in crown or not.

I just bought a reasonable one that doesn't have one and am concerned there is a stripped thread. Or is it too early to have a screw in crown?

Any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks,

Owen

2. zrleopold Feb 11, 2019

Hi Owen,

Is the linked watch the piece you purchased? If so, looks to me to be a redial.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2019

No screw in crown on 1950’s Seamasters.

The dial in the one you linked is an incorrect redial.
    gatorcpa

4. Owen B Feb 11, 2019

Wow - many thanks for the quick replies guys and the excellent advice.

I knew the watch was a redial when I bought it on e.bay. Am I right in thinking it should have "Automatic" and "Seamaster" below the logo?

And great to know the crown wouldn't be screw in.

The bumper mechanism seems to be very heavy. I have a couple of other bumpers and they create nowhere near as much thump as this one. I haven't opened it yet but it almost feels to me that the movement could actually be shifting in the case, which could account for it not engaging winding/disengaging hand adjustment perfectly.

I like the watch and was thinking of getting it properly redialled if the rest of it was sound. Otherwise I can send it back.

Thanks again all - really helpful.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2019

Send it back if you can. I know of no one who can re-do the dial properly.

Yes, that is correct.

upload_2019-2-11_15-12-12.jpeg

gatorcpa

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 11, 2019

The case has been polished to death and possibly re-plated to mask the horrors. Appears as though the retaining tab for the movement may be broken/missing.

7. Owen B Feb 11, 2019

Thanks Gator. I found someone in the states who claims to have original dies, or whatever they stamped dial logo's with. They didn't want much to stamp the relevant script on the existing dial.

And thanks X350 XJR - I guessed that might be the case about a retaining tab of some sort but I'm no expert. I hadn't spotted the polishing - just thought the case looked pretty tidy.

I can get some money back from the vendor and the watch would stand me about £350 as it is. I thought it was worth keeping and fiddling with at that price but it sounds like it should go back!

Thanks again all.

8. Owen B Feb 11, 2019

Also just read ConElPeublo's very informative piece on case polishing so thanks to him too..

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 11, 2019

If the "bump" feels more than normal, check that the springs are correctly fitted or even present.

Also check that the correct movement tabs and screws are fitted.

OSMBS.png

10. Owen B Feb 12, 2019

Jim,

If the bumper mechanism should have springs then it feels very much like they are missing to me. That would exactly describe the slackness, rattle then a harsh thump from inside the case.

I am far from a watch expert but something definitely feels mechanically incorrect.

I would check the movement tabs and screws as you suggest but I'm going to just send this one back for a refund without even opening it. I was going to try to fettle it but I think I can do better with my first donor item!

Thank you so much for the advice.

11. Owen B Feb 12, 2019

And thanks too zrleopold. I didn't think the redial looked too bad apart from missing script but I am still learning!