Forums Latest Members
  1. Brendon Aug 9, 2016

Hi

I took the case back off one of my bumpers today and noticed that a screw had come loose. Fortunately I've got the screw but not keen to try and replace it myself as I'm sure it would end up lost or worse still a ruined cal 354.

My question is if I continue to use the watch without replacing the screw for a few months would this have a disasterous effect on the movement?

Thanks

Brendon

image.jpeg
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 9, 2016

Another job for

image.jpeg

dx009, Giff2577 and voere like this.
  3. Brendon Aug 9, 2016

Thanks. I should have included continuing to use the watch "before I take it to a watchmaker!"

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 9, 2016

Maybe it will..
    image.jpeg

and maybe it won't.

image.jpeg

The question is....
    image.png

Edited Aug 9, 2016
    cvrle1, STANDY and voere like this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 9, 2016

That is one of the three screws that holds the winding weight not the proper nomenclature for the part if recall it is called the oscillating weight. Should be an easy fix. I would not wear the watch if the other two screws are loose it could cause the weight to rub on the case back. or the weight may just fall off the arm and have no auto winding period. Since you are not comfortable installing the screw take the watch to a watchmaker. Any watchmaker should be able to fix your issue
    Good Luck

Edited Aug 9, 2016
    Brendon likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 9, 2016

orly4.jpg

7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 9, 2016

It appears that it's just a matter of installing the screw however key word "appears" the hole could be stripped, threads buggered up on the screw it could also be the wrong size screw was installed etc etc I am no watchmaker but I would attempt to install the screw and if it was just a matter that the screw just backed out it would be a done deal
    I'm talking watchmaker not mall battery changer

VBG I even have a set of screwdrivers to tackle that job. In the picture I have a loupe resting on the stand I do not use the loupe very much but I keep the loupe in the box to keep the dust off I am too lazy to store the loupe properly by the way the picture is meant as a joke

ast.jpg
    Edited Aug 9, 2016
    Brendon and Northernman like this.
  8. François Pépin Aug 9, 2016

It is a very easy fix for a any watchmaker and even any good amateur...

wsfarrell likes this.
  9. ChrisN Aug 9, 2016

These screws have to be properly tight. I wouldn't install that with the rotor in situ as you're pressing down on that piece of steel which is in the centre bearings of the rotor. I'd take it apart and install it on the bench and you really don't want to do that. When you take off the oscillating weight upper bridge there are a few parts that become misaligned... I think you're right to exercise caution and as one screw has come loose and worked it's way out it may be that others are on the way so it seems a good idea to get it looked at.

If you think about how these bump, they cause continual light shocks and that will loosen screws even worse than a typical auto.

Regards, Chris

Brendon likes this.
  10. Brendon Aug 9, 2016

Thanks for your considered comments Chris! I was concerned about pushing down too hard on the weight. I was going to give the replacement a go but think I'll leave it to the experts now!