Forums Latest Members

Bulova Ambassador 18kt- micro rotor

1. nkb Mar 26, 2020

Good day!
    I am wondering what the vintage Bulova experts/enthusiasts think of this vintage Bulova 18kt dress watch?

Date code indicates it is a 1966 production model.
    It has the micro-rotor movement 12EBACD.
    My research indicates that the dial, hands and crown are original.

Condition:
    Case looks good, dial has some spotting
    movement ok (has some scratches).

Price : $1000 US which comes with a 1 year movement guarantee.

Is there anything I am missing?
    Is the price reasonable (considering it is a dealer)?

I think it is an attractive dress watch even though I am not sure about Bulova as a vintage brand.

Would be happy to get opinions!

bulova1.jpg

bulova4.jpg

bulova2.jpg

bulova3.jpg

bulova5.jpg

bulova6.jpg

bulova7.jpg

omegasaso12, SportChief and Larry S like this.
  2. SportChief Mar 26, 2020

The watch appears to be in wonderful condition: very clean and original dial, sharp and unpolished case (although the screw in the back seems odd to me, does that serve a function?), most likely the original signed crown and the movement is of high quality. Bulova used a modified version of one of Buren's microrotor movements, which were of course used in Buren's own watches at the time and also famously in Hamilton's "Thin-o-Matic" series of watches. The Bulova 12EBACD was a modified version of the Buren 1322 movement. A unique feature about it is the 54 hour power reserve. Anyway, I can't really say if this is a good buy or not, since I'm not familiar with the prices, but hopefully this information helps.

nkb likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 26, 2020

Maybe it's just the photos but the sides look kind of beat up and I highly doubt that is the original finish on the back.

Even from a dealer I don't see a $1000 watch here.

DaveK and nkb like this.
  4. nkb Mar 27, 2020

Hi

Do you mind elaborating further?

What price do you think is reasonable given the condition in your opinion?

5. nkb Mar 27, 2020

Hi thanks for replying!
    I researched about the screw and there are suggestions it was to allow filling the case with nitrogen to improve waterproofing but I cannot confirm that.

I agree with you about condition but price is probably a bit on the high side!
    Thanks again

6. Professor Mar 27, 2020

From its position it looks like its there to allow access to unlatch the stem without removing the case back, perhaps to make it easier to clean and polish the case without stuff caking up under the crown.

Edited Mar 29, 2020
    nkb likes this.
  7. nkb Mar 27, 2020

Yes that is indeed the case as confirmed by the seller!

8. nkb Mar 27, 2020

The photos are not the best quality IMHO.

From what I have found on the internet different examples of the case back (with varying degrees of polishing).
    The horizontal brushing is evident on most .

caseback1.jpg

caseback2.jpg

caseback3.jpg

9. Vitezi Mar 27, 2020

Even if you intend to buy from a dealer, it's always worth your while to see what similar watches have sold for at auction. Although this was not an auction result, an 18k no-date version (with a caseback serial number not far from yours) sold on a Buy It Now on eBay for $680Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network in December 2019:
    [​IMG]

The back appears polished:
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, perhaps carefully review both watches for their condition and then make a judgment call on whether the one you want is worth another $300-400 more than the one that sold on eBay. Has your example been serviced? Those micro-rotors can be difficult to service correctly.

As another data point, a black-dial stainless steel version sold at auction for $442Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network in March 2020:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waltesefalcon, nkb and DaveK like this.
  10. nkb Mar 27, 2020

Thank you very much for the wise advice!:thumbsup:

I will do my checks and balances before parting with money

11. nkb Apr 2, 2020

Hi again

Just an update I have negotiated further with the dealer and he is willing to sell now for $870 making it a better proposition remembering it comes serviced with a 1 year guarantee on the movement.

One further question: Is it anymore difficult for a watchmaker to service a micro-rotor movement vs a conventional sized rotor movement?

12. Vitezi Apr 2, 2020

Some forum members have reported difficulty finding a local watchmaker willing to service microrotor movements, but you may not have any problems depending on where you are located or if you are willing to ship your watch to a watchmaker. Microrotors were used on most Universal Geneve Polerouter models, so you may want to inquire on the UG forum for watchmaker recommendations.