Forums Latest Members

Building authentic tudor ranger

1. toomanymse30m333 Apr 26, 2014

• image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok here it goes I've always been a Rolex fan so much so that back in days of being a gator in Gainesville almost put myself out of college vintage watches they don't mix lol . Flash forward 20 years still love vintage watches .so I picked up a tudor / rolex beautiful case ref 9050 and just picked up a authentic ranger dial non date I paid north of 500 for dial and 400 for case so my due diligence has got me running in circles .looking for the correct movement and where to get it . I know the ranger is highly faked . This watch is for me to wear and enjoy . The eta movement doesn't have to be tudor signed but that's my 1st choice thks

tinger likes this.
  2. speedbird Apr 27, 2014

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that case is a fake. Rolex never laser engraved those markings, and back when the Ranger was made, I'm not sure lasers had been invented yet.

3. toomanymse30m333 Apr 27, 2014

What's the take in dial

4. speedbird Apr 27, 2014

Pop off the bat I'm suspicious of any Ranger dial but this one is pretty easy. Hate to tell you more bad news but it's also not genuine. Overall bad printing quality, font is too thick, not Rolex quality.

As a side note, the case back on a ranger should be flat and not tapered like the one you have.

If you can, get your money back on both because neither are genuine.

Sorry for the chopped up responses, been a busy night tonight.

i have some photos of the genuine article stuffed away in my archives somewhere if you need a reference point, PM me

5. speedbird Apr 28, 2014

There are a few watches I like but won't own. The Ranger and 5500 Explorer come to mind. They're like buying a pet mermaid, you have to trust that the dealer is selling you something real.

I'd love to have a 5500 Explorer in my collection because they look like a baby 1016. So nice. Even if my own mother had one for sale I would probably pass, they're easily made from parts. Not that I don't trust dear old mother, she's a saint, but I don't trust anyone with a 5500 Explorer. I've let a couple slip past, even though I was 99% sure they were okay. The Ranger is in this category. The difference is that the 5500 is made with genuine parts usually, while there are tons of fake parts made for both the Ranger date and no date.

6. toomanymse30m333 Apr 28, 2014

lol my due dillagence started after it was too late case is in its way from Italy however the dial has not been paid for last nite I was looking at picture of case and the 3 and the second mark don't line up . Seller claimed it was orginal and not repainted . I not so much of a purist . I'm building a NOS speedmaster panda out of new case and new dial and yes a new 1861 movement . Having said that this ranger is a bit more perplexing the movement is the missing link thanks for all your help

7. toomanymse30m333 Apr 28, 2014

B

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 28, 2014

So are you returning the parts or keeping them and going ahead with it? Because if its the later, we really can't have it on the forum due to the rules regarding that. I know that sounds a bit harsh given you did purchase the parts in good faith but we can't have fake watches on here.

9. toomanymse30m333 Apr 28, 2014

10. speedbird Apr 28, 2014

No matter what's engraved between the lugs, or what the seller says, that case is fake as is the dial. I'd start the process of the returns ASAP if I were you. These things are a minefield sadly. Chuck them back from whence they came

11. toomanymse30m333 Apr 28, 2014

Sadly I will take your advice . Is the case newer tha nearly 70'a maybe . The part that threw me was a website dedicated to fake rangers the case looked nothing like this one . My fault

12. speedbird Apr 28, 2014

The case was surely made within the past decade or so but not in Switzerland. No saving this one

13. speedbird Apr 28, 2014

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. I recently bought a fake Omega bracelet off eBay. I'm not as up on omega as I am vintage Rolex. I only paid $40 so I'm not too broken up about it and new the risk, however you being out $900 on this really sucks. Hope you can get it sorted out. Let me know if I can help. I can send you photos of authentic Tudor Ranger cases and dials if you need them

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  14. toomanymse30m333 Apr 28, 2014

15. toomanymse30m333 Apr 28, 2014

That would be great I tried pm u last nite from my iPhone w no luck . I've been in contact with sell who is on some of the Rolex forums and is a rare vintage rolex dealer and guarantees it authentic . I am a optimist at heart his profile on ebay backs him up 100% tons of positive feed back and really nice vintage watches . I tend tobelieve he is the real deal . I can send you his response .Didn't want to post it not cool

16. speedbird Apr 28, 2014

Pvt message sent