Forums Latest Members

Bromegas: Help me choose my 2nd watch!

1. Son of Light Aug 30, 2016

Well, I'm new here, and also new to owning Omegas - or anything besides Fossil. I picked up the new Seamaster diver in blue and absolutely love it. I'm not planning on starting a collection, but i think for various reasons having a second watch would be a good thing. I intend to wear both often and hard.

With that said, I need help determining what my next should be. To justify a second Omega, I want a master coaxial with the magnetic resistance since my diver has the 2500D. I recognize this second option will be pure luxury as I have no real world need for the 8500 movement or the magnetic resistance. I just like the idea of having Omega's top movement - whether or not it's technically "in-house." My 2500D is within +2 sec a day; in my life I don't need much better than that!

On to the point: I'm torn between two pretty different options and what I'm asking is ideas about aesthetics and versatility as well as what would be a nice alternative to the diver. Either:

A) Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial (Spectre style)

Or

B) Aqua Terra blue dial (or maybe white/silver dial with blue hands).

So what do I do?

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 30, 2016

Both.

Same answer I gave the Weber sisters in 1969.

kov, fibonacci086, flw and 7 others like this.
  3. Son of Light Aug 30, 2016

Well currently I'm completing my dissertation and going out on the job market, so don't quite have the income for both! I finagled my first watch by unloading musical gear I didn't need, and I can swing a second but forget about a third.

Obviously I get your point, of course.

4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 30, 2016

The AT.

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 30, 2016

Ok, ok.
    Wear them both and let them tell you which one!

If all's equal, the blue AT has been around longer and is revered by all as far as I've heard.
    You may even get a deal on a preowned.

The Spectre is hotter but will it standup over time?

6. Son of Light Aug 30, 2016

Interesting question about the rest of time. To be entirely honest- the regular version with the 20-30-40 markers and the arrow second hand is just not quite as perfect to me as the Spectre edition with the lollipop second hand and the 0-11 on the bezel. Maybe I just answered my own question??

AT it is?? Do we vote for blue?

7. ulackfocus Aug 30, 2016

A second watch? Unheard of!

You need at least one for every day of the week.

Jwit and Taddyangle like this.
  8. GuyADJ Aug 30, 2016

The Seamaster 300 for me.....

9. Son of Light Aug 30, 2016

Would you mind sharing why one over the other?

10. GuyADJ Aug 30, 2016

It's purely personal but I have a real antipathy for any sort of blue watch. I have a black Aqua Terra annual date which is a great watch, but quite chunky for my small wrist. Having seen pictures of the Seamaster 300 Spectre they look so classically cool, you couldn't go wrong. I would love to have one myself.

Son of Light likes this.
  11. Superdoc Aug 30, 2016

Kids say the cutest things...

Longbow, Jking, flw and 8 others like this.
  12. Superdoc Aug 30, 2016

With a more serious response....

Spectre is long since sold out, and you'll find yourself at a price point for a different class of watch.... but if it sings to you, then it's worth every penny....

Personally I prefer the classic diver bezel to the spectre... but my taste is irrelevant to your decision.

The AT is a great watch... and what I would definitely recommend. The blue is stunningly beautiful, but if it is really going to be it for a while, you may consider the Opaline dial... this way you can wear it hard on bracelet and scratch the hell out of it and it will play that sporty role well.... and, when the occasion demands (and it will, even if not very frequently) you can throw it on a black leather strap, and it dresses up beautifully....

Every man needs a dress watch.... even if he thinks he doesn't.

13. Son of Light Aug 30, 2016

Appreciate your thoughts. This is precisely what I thought about the AT- I actually like one of the "golf" editions which I believe is listed as a silver dial though it looks white. Is this Opaline? I love the blue hands on the white dial.

Regarding the actual Spectre watch, I would never buy it. Until or if I earn well over 6 figures, no watch will be worth it to me over $3500. The AT can be had GM around 35-3600, which is where I got my diver. I'm fine going that route.

Every man definitely needs a dress watch; I couldn't agree more.

Nobel Prize and GuyADJ like this.
  14. Superdoc Aug 30, 2016

The new Ryder cup one is pretty interesting too with the "golf Ball" dial... but I agree with you the one with blue hands is very sharp...

now ... because you're new here... you get one free pass on the 1st rule of Omega forums... "This thread is useless without Pictures"...
    2D9A9094.JPG 2D9A9883.JPG
    (grey is a great colour too!)

DSC06294e.jpg

(one of each is an inevitability)

2D9A9367.JPG
    so much better than the 0-11 bezel...(remember Sam Mendes demanded a re-design which resulted in the 'Spectre' because he thought that this was too stark for the close up on screen... he also thought that Bond and Blofield being brothers was a great idea...)

2D9A9876.JPG

oh... Sorry... not sure how that last pic got in there ;)

Longbow, jsaen, GregH and 6 others like this.
  15. GuyADJ Aug 30, 2016

Great pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Son of Light Aug 30, 2016

Fair enough! Here is the blue dial version I'm seriously leaning towards:

[​IMG]

GregH, Jwit and nurseford25 like this.
  17. nurseford25 Aug 30, 2016

I agree with @Superdoc, the Opaline dial is superb. It's both sporty and dressy and makes for one killer watch. I love mine and don't regret getting it one bit. It's just a little more versatile than a diver, having said that though my PO is my hands down favorite. So get the one that speaks to you the most.

18. w.finkenstaedt Aug 30, 2016

Blue AT is my choice. Perfect for dress, casual, anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 30, 2016

I have the blue AT and the SM300tiCM.

Since you only want two watches (really no one here can relate) and the other one you have is the Seamaster diver then you may want to go with the AT. The AT dresses up much more than the SM300.

But really, you need a Speedmaster too.

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. BruceTheManLee Sep 1, 2016

Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial (Spectre or non-Spectre) over the AT....

Son of Light likes this.