Forums Latest Members
  1. Ruud Feb 10, 2014

I purchased an Omega Speedmaster 6 years ago for 1400 euro's. I didn't take it to the moon but it's broken now. Estimate by Omega to repair it: 620 euro's
    I find this an outrage. Watches that cost more than a grand shouldn't break down on you. And if it does: repair under warranty at all times.
    What is downright funny: I talked to an Omega emloyee about this outrage and you know what he said? "Imagine you would have bought a golden Omega Speedmaster. That would have set you back 9000 euro's six years ago, so in that perspective the repaircosts are relatively low"
    I could not believe my ears. I don't own a golden speedmaster for I'm no pimp nor a drugsdealer. From what planet is this guy?
    Anyhow: I've had it with this overpriced, sub-standard quality watchmaker.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 10, 2014

We'll honestly I don't know anyone who sends an "ordinary speedmaster" to omega for service. There is no good reason too.

secondly think of it the other way, you bought a high precision robust chronograph for "only" €1400.

a good non omega watchmaker (search theese threads) will service it as well, and with more sympathy, than Omega.

and for less.

persco and Ruud like this.
  3. alam Feb 10, 2014

Oh boy! This will be a fun thread to follow! Grab the popcorn bag!!! ;-)

Omegonkey, OmegaWIS, epl108 and 5 others like this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2014

The repair cost is a bit of an outrage, but that's how the Swiss watch companies roll - there's no reason you have to use them for this particular watch. As for expensive things being exempt from breakage, or those nice perpetual warranties that always come with pricey items, well....

Ruud likes this.
  5. Ruud Feb 10, 2014

Thanks, this helps a lot. I spoke to people about it in my country (the Netherlands) and I was advised to bring the watch to an old school mom-and-dad jewelry shop. One guy had the same experience with Omega and decided not to have his seamaster repaired by them. Instead he brought it to a jewelry shop in Benidorm, Spain and got it back in working order for 10 euro's

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2014

Okay I'll bite...

There is a lot of room between not doing anything to it, and taking it to the moon. Your post implies (to me at least) that "something" was done to it, so what was that something?

Detail on what "broken" means would also be helpful...

Your prerogative to be outraged at whatever you want - just don't expect everyone to agree.

Quite a business model you propose there - can you name a watchmaker - any watchmaker - that offers this?

If I can give you some advice, don't ever buy a Jag. My 1987 VDP retailed for 68K when new, yet I had to repair it more often than all the other cars I've ever owned put together. I'm sure they are better now, but price does not necessarily equate to robustness, in particular when Lucas electronics are involved! Crazy me - looking seriously at the F Type...love that car, but I digress...

I thought this thread was about Omega, not Rolex? Sorry could not resist...j/k of course.

Cheers, Al

persco, ron n, TLIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ruud Feb 10, 2014

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2014

Please stop overwhelming me with the extensive details about the situation with your watch - I just can't handle the incredible volume of information you are giving me!! LOL!

I work on Speedmasters all the time, and I likely touch one 5 days out of every 7 days that I work. It takes a lot to "break" one, so I can't really take your post very seriously if you are unwilling to give any details...

Good luck.

Cheers, Al

ashleysteadman and TLIGuy like this.
  9. ulackfocus Feb 10, 2014

Anything mechanical will be subject to repair. That's an absolute - at least here on Earth. Never been to the moon so I can't speak for stuff up there.

Flockavellian and Varasc like this.
  10. cristos71 Feb 10, 2014

I see you are from NL, I don't know where you are based but I have a very good watchmaker who works on a lot of Omegas. If you like I can give you his details.

Chris

11. Mothra Feb 10, 2014

Al, you may have heard this one, but over here we often refer to 'Lucas, Prince of Darkness' which made me giggle....

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2014

I was going to quote that'd but wasn't sure it would travel. For those that haven't heard it, it was a nickname earned in the 60s and 70s due to the fact that Lucas lights and electrics failed so often... especially amongst motorcyclists.

13. alam Feb 10, 2014

See? I told you so! ::popcorn::

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2014

It's very familiar to this former MGB owner

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2014

Even in Australia we've heard about that one :)

16. Ru4scuba Feb 10, 2014

I've had a few Omegas serviced by the official Omega SC in Seacacus NJ that we're not broken. The services were all just slightly under what you paid for a broken one.

These are finely tuned instruments....services are going to cost.

That said, I learned along time ago that if I take my car to a trusted mom and pop shop vs the dealer for service, I'll likely get better service and a better deal.

Best of luck in your situation.

17. ulackfocus Feb 10, 2014

Interesting choice of screen name too. I guess it would be appropriate use the word 'rude' as your moniker to join a watch forum who's primary brand is Omega just to make wild claims with no specifics.

18. ICONO Feb 10, 2014

It's very familiar to this current E Type owner

pjuk likes this.
  19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 10, 2014

:D

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2014

Captive export market ;)