Forums Latest Members
  1. immmhus Aug 30, 2016

hi guys,

Was having a look on my local auction site and found this broken omega planet ocean, it says he took it to the watchmaker and he said the escapement movement was broken. It's current $600Nzd stay away or go for it? He will be putting up matching numbers of case and movement tonight and he is a well trusted dealer

image.png
  2. Malik713 Aug 30, 2016

It is a modern piece so it can't be THAT expensive.

PS. it looks like the bottom piece of rubber is ripped so that will need to be replaced as well. What movement is it, A,B, C, or D?

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 30, 2016

Well service plus base price vs a used one... That one looks to have a decent amount of wear on the bezel.

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 30, 2016

stay away ... better deals will eventually pop up ... no need to go dumpster diving for an Omega

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Tyreman Aug 30, 2016

It all depends but thats a big depends+- How old is it movement in it etc. Moisture been in it. Cost to fix. Looks used.

6. Modernism Aug 31, 2016

Looks like a 'C' movement

7. fflump Aug 31, 2016

Who owned this watch? A bare knuckle boxer?
    Factor in new strap, new bezel as well, and even then the case will probably look like it's been use to bash tent pegs into the ground.

No point whatsoever.

8. bgator Aug 31, 2016

Personally it wouldn't be worth it to me. I'm much more willing to pay market rate to get a good quality sample than run the risk on something like this to possibly save a few dollars in the end. This is a common watch too so it wouldn't be hard to find a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 31, 2016

Not everyone wears their watches as if they had delicate orchids strapped to their wrists. As long as the watch is not moisture damaged inside, and the OP isn't after a pristine specimen, I don't see a lot wrong with this one - it's not even all that beat up really.

Regular service at Omega will fix movements issues (again provided it's not been full of water or something), and you could throw it on a NATO or leather strap for cheap, so could be a reasonable price in the end...

10. rcs914 Aug 31, 2016

Everything has a price at which it is a good deal - at $600NZD it is a steal. The question is how much past this is it still a good buy? And that's a question I can't answer.

11. soybeanwatch Sep 2, 2016

Tough one... If saving the money is worth more to you than peace of mind then definitely go for it. As there never is a guarantee in this hobby of ours one might find solace in not having to worry about the unknown where others chase the thrill of the kill. Either way I'm sure you'll be fine but not knowing exactly what caused the breakage/failure would give me the heeby geebeez.

12. ulackfocus Sep 2, 2016

I used to run a home for wayward and damaged watches until I found it was cheaper to buy mint primo examples than try to rehab old project watches. Besides, project watches never end up being mint & primo.