Forums Latest Members
  1. Profscott Feb 9, 2014

hello I recently found a vintage omega constellation as can been seen in photos the winder is broken, is this watch worth fixing or what is its value in its current state

thanks

tmp_P1280066-1895951515.JPG tmp_P1280063-1014682743.JPG tmp_P1280074-1487533944.JPG tmp_P1280062-1608049575.JPG

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 9, 2014

Depends on whats wrong inside. Could be that it just needs a service+stem and crown and then the watch would definitely be worth more than the cost of repair.

3. Habitant Feb 9, 2014

Hard to guess at what it might fetch in its current state, and in any event, we have a policy of not valuing watches here.

Yes, it's more than likely worth repairing (see Joe's earlier comment). If you're interested, and let us know your geographic location in rough terms, someone here can probably recommend an expert with appropriate skills for the task.

4. Profscott Feb 9, 2014

Thanks
    im unsure if it is genuine also I'm not sure how to open it
    what condition would you experts say it's in.

regards

5. Profscott Feb 9, 2014

Also what is the correct name of this watch

6. rolexfantastic Feb 9, 2014

Genuine. Nice, even though oxidation is visible to the hands but worth restoring.

7. CdnWatchDoc Feb 9, 2014

She goes by Connie, but she can be anything that you like...;)

8. Profscott Feb 9, 2014

Anyone tell me what year this watch from? Thanks

9. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2014

Late 50's or very early 60's. Either a caliber 50x (late 50's) or 561 (early 60's).

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2014

You might be thinking of a different forum. We have no problem giving an opinion on most things round here :D

Mothra and Tritium like this.
  11. Habitant Feb 9, 2014

It is what is says on the dial: a 'Constellation Calendar'. Do yourself a favour and don't try and open it, unless you have the correct tools, you are certain to make a mess of the back and reduce the value even more.

What condition is it in? Requires service.

If you're dancing around trying to work out if you have a gold mine on your hands, then I'd suggest that you may not. It's a nice watch - potentially - but it can only be sold for repair as it is. A basic service on a watch like this, assuming that there are no significant problems, would be a couple of hundred bucks, minimum. Way more if you send it to Omega. So...anyone buying would have to factor this cost in, be they a dealer, a watchmaker or a collector.

Go to eBay, look under completed listings and see what similar models sold for; as I say, you will have to deduct an appropriate amount as previous paragraph.

12. Habitant Feb 9, 2014

Okay then, fire away SpikiSpikster, I'm not touching it. ;)

13. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2014

These aren't my area, but I know enough to say nobody is going to get rich from selling this watch.

By the way, where was this watch "found"?

14. Mothra Feb 10, 2014

If I were looking to buy this id look at the corrosion on the hands and markers , start worrying about the state of the movement and walk away. I suspect its best to list on ebay and let it find its own level - I'm frequently stunned at what poor condition watches fetch.

15. Habitant Feb 10, 2014

I hear you on this, but interestingly enough, I just bought a calibre 344 with fairly crappy looking hands (as here), yet whose movement is super clean, with no corrosion past or present. Perhaps high humidity air can get trapped under the crystal and do its damage, whilst not migrating too far inwards. Don't know exactly...

16. Profscott Mar 3, 2017

sorry this is a real bump up, but would anyone know the value to sell this watch. i got whale oil put into it to preserve the movement, it needs a good clean and a new winder and a good service.
    would anyone hazard a guess at its value fixed and or in its current state for selling

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 3, 2017

Whale oil!

Are you mad!

You should have used coal oil, the modern replacement for whale oil.

<end of jokes>

We would need to see recent pictures of the watch, especially the interior and the dial to be able to make any valid assessment.

ahartfie and ConElPueblo like this.
  18. Profscott Mar 3, 2017

ha well thats what the jeweler called it lol

it there any tips on getting the case off without causing damage.
    i was thinking its worth about 200£ or am i well off

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 3, 2017

As is on eBay you could get from say $200 to $400 even more if better photos

Spend a few hundred on it you will make it back or have a good watch to wear

20. ConElPueblo Mar 3, 2017

I'd say that on eBay you should get well more than £200. The bracelet alone is worth around £100.

Note that the hands are wrong. Replacements aren't that common...