Forums Latest Members

Broken Balance Post: how to know which replacement part to order?

1. OneOldOmega May 30, 2015

Hello - I inherited an old, manual Omega, 1943/44 vintage. The case number is 2414-2 and the serial number is 9949133. I dropped it and was told I broke the balance post. My jeweler tells me he cannot find the replacement part. Before I go to another jeweler, I thought I would see if I could find a balance post online.

My question to you, fellow members, is how do I know which replacement balance post will work with my watch? If I can determine the correct part, I can try to find it online or have one made.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2015

The first thing is to identify the movement. It may be stamped on one of the bridges, or if it's an earlier caliber, it'll be stamped on the main plate under the balance.

Once you know the caliber, you can start searching places like eBay or watch parts suppliers like Esslinger (US), Ofrei (US), Jules Borel (US) Cousins (UK) or Boley (DE).

And to satisfy our never ending need for pictures of watches, no more help will be given until we see a picture or pictures of your watch!

;)

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 31, 2015

JimInOz likes this.
  4. KIMBER May 31, 2015

5. OneOldOmega Jun 30, 2015

Thanks for your help, gentlemen. My watch's movement is 28.SC. I see items on line for 28SC. Does the period in my movement signify anything I should be aware of?

6. Canuck Jun 30, 2015

On occasion, Omega appears to have changed their system of numbering their calibres, and parts from an equivalent later calibre number that will fit, might be available. Most watch material suppliers would be able to cross reference part numbers, and be able to supply the part. You might have to take the watch to somebody who is more familiar with older watches.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 30, 2015