Forums Latest Members

British Horological Institute

1. vincereynard Jan 3, 2016

I am seriously considering taking my interest to another level by attending a few courses at -

http://bhi.co.uk/training-education/short-courses

Perhaps starting with one of the courses indicated? ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 03 12.22.jpg

Does anyone have experience of such courses?

A happy and peaceful 2016 to you all.

Vince

2. PatrickJ Jan 3, 2016

How much are the courses your referring to?

3. Pvt-Public Jan 3, 2016

I took 2 basic beginners Pocket Watch classes at the NAWCC. while they were not intended to make pros out of people they were quite informative and did give me the confidence to at least clean and oil my own Pocket Watches. I am seriously considering more of their classes on such things as using a watch makers lathe, and other repair type things. The classes are not cheap. Sorry the NAWCC classes are in the US not the UK.

4. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 3, 2016

Hello Vince,

I have attended 2 short courses at BHI and found both to be informative, fun, excellent value for the money and a great overall experience. If you stay at Upton Hall the cost is very reasonable, and it includes breakfast and 2 lunches. There is a pub across the street and most students and instructors meet there for supper each evening and the watch/horology discussion goes on for the night...

It is well worth your time if you can have a tour of the museum, incredible collection, and the library is a treasure trove of books, last visit I spent about a week in the library alone.

Some courses have pre-requesites for attending, you can check which ones with a quick call to Zanna, her number should be on the website.

If you do attend, I think you will gain a lot for your time and money.

Rob MBHI

vincereynard, wsfarrell and PatrickJ like this.
  5. vincereynard Jan 3, 2016

£860 including 4 nights B & B.

Exactly what I want to gain. A bit of knowledge and confidence to tackle basic servicing to begin with. Plus knowing the proper tools etc.

Thanks for the reply. I shall probably go with my brother so I should be able to persuade him to drive as well!

As you point out, some courses require pre-requisites, so the second course will have to wait!

Vince

6. PatrickJ Jan 4, 2016

Thanks for the info, mind you for that price I will put it towards service costs.