Forums Latest Members

Breitling...What does the market think about this watch?

1. Interstatetime Sep 21, 2014

A watchmaker friend picked up this Breitling 765 which seems to date from about 1961. It is about as new/unworn a watch as I ever see and I see a lot of watches. The movement is a Venus and looks as good as the outside of the watch.

All that being said I am not usually a fan of Breitlings and certainly no expert on the brand. My friend wants to sell the watch and despite my aversion to Breitling I love the watch for its look and its condition. All of my research leads me to believe that it is a scarce watch, especially in this condition. I can find similar watches for sale online at what seem like ridiculous prices. I can't find much similar that has actually sold on eBay or at other auctions.

What does the watch market...the watch fans...the watch experts think about this caliber/version and about this watch?

Thanks

JohnCote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 21, 2014

I don't know much about these at all, but the dial looks redone.

3. Interstatetime Sep 21, 2014

I don't know...I look at a lot of dials. Perhaps it looks different in photos because the crystal is dirty and diffracts the light. It did not look re-done to me when I held it in my hand. Also the rest of the watch looks so new that I can't imagine why the dial would have needed a re-do. That being said, I will have to look at it again with a loupe.

JC

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 21, 2014

The back has been redone also look at the S in stainless steel and the whole shock protected is just wrong ::facepalm2::

5. Interstatetime Sep 21, 2014

Damn...I am starting to think twice about this watch. It looks so good and the edges are so crisp in hand...but I guess I should have looked at my good old iPhone photos a little bit closer.

JC

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 21, 2014

My concern with these "generic" looking Breitlings is that so much of the collector value is tied up in the name on the dial. This provides a powerful incentive for fakery.

In those days, Breitling didn't have nearly the marketing success that they enjoy today. Also, the same parts were used by many different watch brands, so swapping is very easy.

Unless there is iron-clad provenance with the watch, I would recommend extreme caution.
    gatorcpa

Interstatetime likes this.
  7. Interstatetime Sep 21, 2014

You know...I said in the original post that I look at a lot of watches...and I do. However, I think I may have let my heart overpower my head when it comes to this one. Thanks all for getting my mind back to right.

JohnCote

STANDY likes this.