Forums Latest Members
  1. DitchGreen Sep 9, 2017

Hi all. This is my first post & I'm seeking the advise of those more knowledgeable than myself.

I'm interested in this Breitling Top Time 2002:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=122686040087&globalID=EBAY-GBPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Attempting to do my due diligence prior to bidding, I've been using the springbar guide here:

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/collectors-guide-to-breitling-top-time

And it is raising a couple of potential issues:

1. The guide pretty clearly states the Venus 188 ran 1948-1966. However the seller states the watch is 1970s.
    2. In the 'variations' section of the guide there are no 2002 with purely silver dial and hands.

So here's my question: Which is right, the watch or the guide? Perhaps there's a third option and I am misinterpreting the guide?

All help greatly appreciated

2. Nathan1967 Sep 9, 2017

Hi

I'm not sure that the guide is completely comprehensive, I'd also recommend looking at Fratello's guide to Breitling which may have some alternative examples.

I'd also recommend posting on the Breitling Forum, WatchFred is a leading authority on all things Breitling and he and the mods there will help steer you on the right course. With 48hrs to go in the auction you may not have enough time though.

For what it's worth this Watch looks pretty good to me- (though I'm viewing on my phone). The things to look out for are Tachymetre bezels are often misaligned, I also see a lot that have missing lume, poor damaged dials and damage to case backs, this one looks ok.

I'm selling my Top Time 2000 here https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-...me-reverse-panda-£1650-ono.61328/#post-790121
    which is a good example, please feel free to use that as a reference too if you need.

All the best

Nathan

DitchGreen likes this.
  3. DitchGreen Sep 9, 2017

Thanks for your comments Nathan. If I don't get this one, I'll get another, and will now know to try and get a nod from WatchFred first.

PS. If yours was steel, I'd be all over it. I'm over-represented with gold watches though.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  4. Nathan1967 Sep 9, 2017

Thanks- I did feel a bit like the Spiv from Dad's Army when I posted the link to my watch....."psssst wanna buy a Swiss watch, or some suspenders guvnor", but it was worth the try!
    Seriously, though they are great watches there's a rate of 1 or 2 a week available on eBay and sellers like Corr Vintage often have them too (at a price though).

Good luck with your search!

DitchGreen likes this.
  5. Edward53 Sep 9, 2017

You might want to look at this page: http://www.breitling-museum.com/1960-1969.html which may not be the final word but it does show a 2002 with silver dial, said to have a Venus 188 movement. If the ebay watch is a 2002.3 from 1971 then in theory it should have a Valjoux 7730 which actually is no different from a Venus 188, however the Springbar guide is a bit unclear on the detail of the 2000s series and I'm not sure it's totally correct. Personally I think the seller's watch is fine, just a bit polished for me. He seems to be selling an impressive collection of Breitling, Omega and Rolex which generally look pretty good to my limited eye. ETA: I don't know who the seller is or have any connection with him.

DitchGreen likes this.
  6. DitchGreen Sep 9, 2017

Thanks Edward. That Breitling Museum link was enormously helpful. My hunch is the eBay watch is okay, but my knowledge is very limited.

I had noticed the over-polishing. None of the watches I own are perfect. Over polishing isn't a deal breaker for me, just effects the price I'd pay. Repainted dials or watches cobbled together from different sources - they'd be deal breakers.