Forums Latest Members

Breaking News or am I late? 2018 Year of .... Seamaster

1. rominvicta Jan 31, 2018

2. nurseford25 Jan 31, 2018

I like how it says they are going to market “special editions”. The LE’s will never end!!

I’m going to predict an LE version featuring the wave dial (an updated 2531 style watch). For the production model SMPc 300 I think a new master chronometer movement but not much else for these models. We will see.

3. Bushido Jan 31, 2018

I had read that article earlier today as well. I believe some members have been predicting an SM focused Basel this year with the anniversaries. The report appears to bear that out it part. As for predicting what we may see, other than more diver models being moved to their METAS movements, I haven't the foggiest idea.

4. Cuttysark Jan 31, 2018

Again and again Limited Editions

ulackfocus likes this.
  5. keepschanging Jan 31, 2018

Limitless limited editions

Limited editions without limits

Unlimited limited editions

Etc. etc.

6. Cuttysark Jan 31, 2018

:thumbsup:

7. Kmart Jan 31, 2018

There has to be a saturation point somewhere with all of these LEs. It seems to me there's only so many people willing and able to drop $7k or so on a new Omega (or several) every single year.

Jwit likes this.
  8. jimmyd13 Jan 31, 2018

True, but I have tried on a Planet Ocean, in various guises, at least three times over the past couple of years and never been able to convince myself to buy one (they're just too damn high!) ... maybe there's a few people out there, like me, who would find a Seamaster more attractive?

GBTRIUMPH and Wetworks like this.
  9. lillatroll Jan 31, 2018

It makes no difference to me how many LEs Omega produce, I do not feel compelled to buy it because of some BS marketing ploy. My only considerations when buying a watch are wether or not I have the funds to buy it and if I love it or not. I find it hard to believe that this is not the case for 99.9% of watch buyers.

Edited Feb 1, 2018
    Dedalus05, 67ViP, Shailor and 6 others like this.
  10. sgrossma Jan 31, 2018

Id' venture to say that there are millions of semi-serious watch collectors and usually 2000-3000 LE runs. Some collectors have enough resources to buy them all and some buy 1 or a few. I don't think the market will become over saturated with the current rate of production. They've been doing this for so many year and yet many LEs are very difficult to source. I'm not worried and look forward to whatever is next!

yadseuT likes this.
  11. rainking Jan 31, 2018

Definitely interested to see which models appear, though it's a bit amusing that Omega already released the Seamaster LE as part of the trilogy in 2017. My biggest gripe with some of the LEs is that I wish certain models were just made as permanent offerings in Omega's lineup. The 1957 Speedmaster reissue, for instance. I couldn't justify the outlay for one of those at the time you needed to order one, but if they were still available later this year or next year, I'd most certainly end up with one. It's too bad when some of the best-looking offerings from a company aren't part of the full-time catalog. I understand all the marketing and brand building theories behind these decisions, I just don't like them lol

GBTRIUMPH and Tiny Iota like this.
  12. M'Bob Jan 31, 2018

They've done the 300 Master Co-Axial, in different metals, and then the Spectre. Last year, we had the Trilogy. What could they possibly offer in a SM 300 that they haven't mostly covered?

13. llvhhui Jan 31, 2018

I’m looking forward to whatever comes out. Maybe they’ll do a retro of 1948 first Seamaster.

Johannes123 likes this.
  14. 77deluxe Jan 31, 2018

I suppose they wouldn’t keep doing this if it didn’t generate sales.

LouS and yadseuT like this.
  15. Kmart Jan 31, 2018

Perhaps a new twist on the SM300 MC? Smaller case size, closed caseback, different seconds hand maybe... they could go a lot of ways with it. Somehow I doubt that's what they're thinking but I definitely don't think they're done with that model.

16. Flashman Jan 31, 2018

Putting aside seriously rich types who can and do buy LEs at the drop of a hat, I think there's always new people coming into the brand all the time, for whom a LE might be really, really attractive and seem really, really special. A totally different mindset to someone who's seen it a dozen times before. It's those people who would help buy all these LEs because, at the end of the day, if they didn't sell, Omega wouldn't be as into them :)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  17. rominvicta Feb 1, 2018

As of my understanding Seamaster LE would have a lesser appeal to majority of WIS members, rest wouldn't care whether LE or not. Unless something equal or better than Spectre is to be released, which I doubt would be the case.

18. Flashman Feb 1, 2018

I dunno... I think new people entering any field will see a limited edition whatever-it-is and at least think about it more.

Limited edition holds a lot of cache with people... especially people who are new to a field and might not know much about it.

19. BostonCanuck Feb 1, 2018

An example of how limited editions should be done is the IWC "150 Years" anniversary collection just introduced at SIHH. Classic. Timeless.

An example of how limited editions unfortunately are all too often done by Omega is the Planet Ocean Michael Phelps. Ugh.

20. frederico Feb 1, 2018

‘Sactly. Anyone else old enough to remember the 80s and 90s where every third car on the road was an ‘SE’ model of the standard version?

Flashman likes this.