Forums Latest Members

Brand new to vintage! Help if these eBay Omega's are fake or real!?

1. WhartonOmega May 17, 2018

Hi, I'm very interested in the following vintage Omega watches. The deals on these vintages I'm getting is awesome, and they look good. However, I'm not sure if they're fake, frankensteins, or reals. Would appreciate any comments and help with these watches, thank you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OM...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ME...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SEAM...BIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649#payCntIdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. gdupree May 17, 2018

How would you know if the deals that you're getting are awesome if you do know if they're fake, frankenstiens, or real?

If you fancy vintage watches, stick around, learn much much much more than you currently know, and proceed very slowly.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 17, 2018

I see obvious issues with all 3 hence the low prices.

airansun likes this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 17, 2018

Do a site search for South Korea and Philippines. Consider it the first lesson in your education. Then start with the stickies.

5. Edward53 May 17, 2018

What he said. No pain, no gain.

6. BatDad May 17, 2018

$10 credit for returns. Bargain.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 17, 2018

#1 is nicest of the lot, but being from S. Korea, it is almost certainly a refinished dial. Not that this is a particularly collectible watch anyway. If it was serviced properly, it is a good entry level Omega. Don’t pay more than $250 for one like this.

#2 and #3 have had major work done on them and are not desirable in the condition presented.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. WhartonOmega May 17, 2018

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate the inputs especially since I'm a first time vintage buyer. If watch #1 is the best with a refinished dial, I was wondering if that would be considered a frankenstein or would it still be a genuine? Also would I be able to get these watches serviced by Omega in the future?

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 17, 2018

I really suggest you educate yourself. Read the stickies on the vintage Omega forum. They will teach you a lot.

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. Gurn May 17, 2018

Exactly. Read, study, research and when you think you have it, well that means you don't. For me I've learned enough to know that I have much to learn.

11. Davidt May 18, 2018

Don't dive straight in, reasearch for a while first.

And post pictures, not just links.

12. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it May 18, 2018

Am I missing something, all of the above are running auctions so how do you know you're getting awesome deals? I expect what they achieve will be what they are worth. Not many bargains slip through ebay auctions these days TBH, if they end cheap there's usually a reason.

efauser and JimInOz like this.
  13. gdupree May 18, 2018

Again, we're not trying to be jerks here, its just that we've all been first-time-vintage-buyers before and nearly all of us have made mistakes in vintage purchases before - in every case, it was because we didn't know as much as we thought we knew. What's more is that we get countless new threads on this forum every day from individuals just like yourself, who either already have, or are about to make the same mistakes we have. So, you came here for expert advise, but our advice is basically don't buy any of the watches you posted.

First, my suggestion would be stay away from eBay. Instead, prowl around in our sales forum here. You will find sellers here to be generally more thorough, knowledgeable, and honest. Second, nail down which references you're interested in. Try to get it down to one specific model and reference. Then, focus on learning everything you can about the the smallest details of that watch. When you think that you've completed all of these steps as thoroughly as you can, then start another thread and do exactly what you did here - first tell us what you think about that watch, and what research led you to these thoughts, and then ask us what we think about it and if we think you have missed anything. If you follow this, you will quickly find yourself enjoying a new hobby, with many new friends that share that interest - and you will find yourself with a lot of knowledge about certain vintage watches, and will then begin helping newcomers who started the exact same kind of threads you were starting a short time ago.

At that, I think I have met my word count for the day. Best of luck and see you around.

connieseamaster and efauser like this.