Forums Latest Members

Brand new SM300m Pro losing 4 seconds overnight

1. msp1518 Jul 30, 2019

This is the new laser wave dialed SM300m Ceramic. New from an authorized dealer. The first few days I gained less than a second. Amazing.

Then it was a perfect + - 0.0 for one night and now every day since has lost seconds. Saturday to Sunday it lost 2.

Last night I set all my watches to the atomic clock (including my two GShocks) and this morning at 8 AM the Omega had lost 4 seconds. It was laid crown down overnight. That is 4 seconds in 10 hours from a fully wound watch.

I am stumped. In the 10 or so days that I have owned it it most certainly has been abused or dropped. I haven't even gone jogging with it.

Ideas?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 30, 2019

Try setting it down in another position overnight and see what difference it makes.

Foo2rama, cholack and Mad Dog like this.
  3. msp1518 Jul 30, 2019

The night before it was crown up. Tonight I'll lay it flat.

4. redzer007 Jul 30, 2019

also Id allow a few weeks for the movement to settle down - this could be an old wives tale, but anecdotally seems to be a new movement will take a few weeks to bed in. My guess is that position left overnight will have a significant impact on accuracy.

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 30, 2019

You might want to search for info on the time-keeping accuracy so you can see how it is an average based on multiple positions of the watch. Sometimes people think a watch is out-of-spec due to the gain/ loss in one position, when it is supposed to be assessed by looked at multiple positions. Then if you find it is out-of-spec bring it to the OB.

6. snunez Jul 30, 2019

There are also some inexpensive iPhone apps that let you keep track of accuracy over time. I found it useful, and it includes positional information.

7. msp1518 Jul 30, 2019

I am not freaking out yet, but just perplexed. This is my 4th automatic Omega and highly unusual compared to the others, not to mention the non-Omegas I have owned. For right now I plan on wearing it every day, outside of my time at the gym (that's what GShocks are for). Hopefully things will get better in short order.

8. ama98 Jul 30, 2019

It happened with mine as well. Really depends on the resting position. I didn't spend much time to find which one is the best position but if I leave it in a different one over time it balance it out and go back to 0 to +5 sec range

9. msp1518 Jul 30, 2019

Interesting. In a cringe inducing way. :) I will be wearing it pretty much 24/7 over the coming days and see what happens. It's just a tad disconcerting.

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 30, 2019

Here is some info from Omega's web site about Chronometer ratings: "To earn the title of chronometer, the mechanical movement’s average daily variation in rate must be between -4/+6 seconds per day, or a precision of 99.99%, the highest precision attainable by a mechanical movement. The precision of a mechanical movement depends on the individual habits of the wearer and can therefore vary. A qualified OMEGA watchmaker can adjust the precision of a watch to within the OMEGA tolerances, which are from -1 to +6 seconds per day."

More in-depth info on the testing/ certification requirements can be found by searching (you might want to check COSC on Wikipedia). METAS is a little tighter tolerances, but still gets tested in multiple positions/ temperatures. I'm not sure if yours is METAS or COSC (sorry, I do not know modern Seamasters as well as older ones)

11. mjb Jul 30, 2019

I have the same watch, bought new in late April from an AD OB. It runs about 4 seconds fast a day. Within COSC specs but nothing like the accuracy that I became accustomed to with Rolex. I've found that it has settled down a little bit as it has aged (I stopped keeping track of actual seconds gained) and I put it crown down at night which helps a bit.

12. msp1518 Jul 30, 2019

The watch is Meta certified and +0.0 to +4 is the range.

-4 over ten hours is way out of spec.

13. mjb Jul 30, 2019

I didn't quite get that 4 seconds in 10 hours... I thought it was between two days. Heck, take it back, it's under warranty, and have them regulate it! Yes, it's annoying and it will be gone for a while, but isn't that why we pay the premium for a new one?

14. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 30, 2019

15. msp1518 Jul 30, 2019

Unfortunately they are a 9 hour drive from here. I live in the middle of nowhere. Not an Omega dealer in driving distance. So it's not a great situation. I sold my Planet Ocean because it was constantly becoming magnetized and running way fast (30 seconds or more p/day). I thought these new META certified movements, which are anti-magnetic to 15000g would solve the problem. And naturally, I love the new design. It's stunning.

If things do not improve by next week I will be forced to contact the dealer about mailing it in for service.

EDIT: Crown Left?????? No clue.

16. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 30, 2019

Whatever you do...never buy a vintage watch...ever.

Foo2rama and Mr Blond like this.
  17. msp1518 Jul 31, 2019

An insulting comment. I have plenty of vintage watches.

18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 31, 2019

Not really, it amuses me when people time their watches and worry about a few seconds here and there on a mechanical piece.

To each their own.

Bugster987, Foo2rama and 89-0 like this.
  19. msp1518 Jul 31, 2019

I am now losing 6 seconds in a 24 hour period. That is cause for concern on a META certified movement.

Meanwhile, Omega Service just told me spec is -6 to +6, which is not correct. So I am pretty much beside myself.

20. AntonisCy Jul 31, 2019

That is not correct