Forums Latest Members

Brand new Seamaster 300 Diver - Dust on dial!

1. Seamaster1994 Oct 2, 2018

Hi guys!

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if Im doing something wrong.

Last week, I bought my very first Omega (Seamaster Diver 300 - Ref. 212.30.41.20.01.003) from an AD in Norway and was really happy with it to begin with. I have never owned a watch in this price-range earlier, and this has kinda been my dreamwatch for quite some time now.

A couple of days went by, and I was looking at the dial up close in bright sunlight, and spotted a microscopic white dust particle right above the "R" in "Cronometer". I went inside, and used the flashlight on my phone to see if I could spot some more dust particles. I then spotted quite a few, but they are impossible to see if you dont have bright light on the dial. Some of you might call this nitpicking, but it sort of ruins the experience with owning my first Omega.. Most of the dust particles are nearly invincible, but now that i know where they lay, I cant unsee them (especially the first one, right above the "R").

I talked to my AD, and he told me that he was very sorry this had happened, and that i had two options. I could send it to him, so he could send it back to Omega, or I could send it through "The Swatch Group", who l believe are the ones importing Omega to Norway. I have also contacted Omega 2 days ago, but still no answer from them, so I am yet to receive a suggestion from them.

My question to you guys is: What would you guys do? Would you live with it, demand a replacement watch from Omega (I doubt this is an option either way) or send it back to them so they can clean the dial? I really dont like the idea of sending back a brand new watch, and potentially wait multiple weeks to get it back. I have also read that other problems can arise when you send the watch back to them.

Is there someone in this forum who has experienced similar issues like this? And how is Omegas customer service towards this kinds of problems?

I am really bummed out buy this, and thought it might be a good idea to listen to some of you guys before I do something more about it. I do not have a good enough camera lens to capture the "dust particles" on the dial, so I made a quick illustration photo to show where the particles lays on the dial. Keep in mind they are not nearly as visible when looking at it with the bare eye, but their definitely still there.

Thank you for reading, any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

White dustparticles on dial.png
    superfly likes this.
  2. JamieG Oct 2, 2018

Are they visible with the naked eye from around 300mm? If the answer is no, I’d live with it.

Welcome to the forum btw

IDXM, blufinz52 and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  3. repoman Oct 2, 2018

This is simple, it bothers you enough to post on a forum about it, so send it back to have it corrected, which Omega will be happy to do for you, and probably get it back to you faster than you expect. Is it annoying, yes, does it ruin the experience... hardly. You won't even remember a year from now this happened.

Seamaster1994 likes this.
  4. airansun In the shuffling madness Oct 2, 2018

Correct answer is to only buy vintage.

Then, dust is patina. ;)

Geezer, DaveK, Eve and 13 others like this.
  5. superfly Oct 2, 2018

Personally, I would demand a replacement because that's just the way I am. And I'm fairly persuasive, if I do say so myself. Omega should be embarrassed by the flaw, and the AD should do everything he can to help. There's no way I would accept it. Good luck! I hope it turns out well for you.

6. ama98 Oct 2, 2018

I would try to get this fix somehow. You paid enough so your expectation to get a flawless product is normal. Good luck and I wish you a quick resolution.

Seamaster1994 and superfly like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 2, 2018

3 in 3 days... spec is if it’s not visible from 30cm it passes.

blufinz52 likes this.
  8. Seamaster1994 Oct 3, 2018

First of all, Thank you all for replying! Some of the dustparticles are visible from 30 cm. Hard to see, but still there. Yes, it might be nitpicking, but I just feel like they shouldn’t be there in the first place. I talked to the Youtuber ‘Bark & Jack’, and his concern was if the dust might have gotten into the movement, or came from the movement in the first place.

I emailed Omega 3 days ago, and I still haven’t received an answer/suggestion from them. Is it normally this slow, or am I just being impatient?Will update the thread when they answer.

9. peripatus Oct 3, 2018

Slightly worrying to think there could be dust in the movement as well. The 30cm visibility test might just be acceptable for the dial but dust in the movement would be a different matter.

Seamaster1994 and Madjam1966 like this.
  10. Madjam1966 Oct 3, 2018

I'd definitely send it back or else it'll be niggling you daily and you'll then wonder, in months to come, why you didn't do it. It's always annoying when a new toy is imperfect and denial creeps inot as you want to enjoy it, especially as it's an eagerly awaited and new acquisition. Send it before you find more dust, which you probably will. All the best.

11. ama98 Oct 3, 2018

I share Bark and Jack's concern. It is indeed an important question how the dust went into the inside of the watch. It is worry some that it passed the QC of Omega.
    Re the response time, my experience is that they need 2 days to answer even for a simple question. If I would bet the answer will be that you should visit an authorized repair center as they need to see the watch in person.

12. rkim11 Oct 3, 2018

I had a hair-like particle in a brand new 2531.80. Another one I had condensation in watch after cleaning. Took it to AD both times and they got me a new one. That was early 2000s though, thought QC was better now.

superfly and Seamaster1994 like this.
  13. chanbar Oct 3, 2018

Send it back or exchange it since it will sit in the back of your mind every time you look at it

superfly and Seamaster1994 like this.
  14. Rman Oct 3, 2018

A watchmaker at an OB should be able to open it up and blow the dust off with compressed air. Crisis over.

Agree that it shouldn’t be there but strange things happen in this chaotic world. Might be donut crumbs from International Coffee Day.

IDXM and Seamaster1994 like this.
  15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 3, 2018

Why is anyone answering this question?

Is not odd that new members posing the question of microscopic dust on Speedmasters and Seamasters on consecutive days?

I like to prod the forum as much as the next guy, but even a watch idiot like me could have something a little more original.

Is this a banned member with a new IP address.

I guess saying you made a quick illustration is pretty inventive.

"I do not have a good enough camera lens to capture the "dust particles" on the dial, so I made a quick illustration photo to show where the particles lays on the dial. Keep in mind they are not nearly as visible when looking at it with the bare eye, but their definitely still there."

Edited Oct 3, 2018
  16. Rman Oct 3, 2018

Are you saying they are secret Rolex agents trying to sully the brand?

Damnit I responded to the question.

Foo2rama, IDXM and Seamaster1994 like this.
  17. ext1 Oct 3, 2018

Well, exactly because it's kind of banal question that so many people are able to answer it. Doesn't require that much specialized/rarefied knowledge to answer. Just the puzzle-solving phase of normal science

18. Seamaster1994 Oct 3, 2018

Are you serious haha? Do you think I use my time to post a long and detailed post like this just for fun? What do I earn from doing that, if i dont have an issue with my watch? And yes, this is a quick illustration. I am a graphic designer, so i figured its better to illustrate the problem, when my iphone couldt pick up the dust on the dial.

IDXM and superfly like this.
  19. Seamaster1994 Oct 3, 2018

Thank yo all so much for your opinions/suggestions/answers. I am pretty new to this, so everything helps.

Update:
    Omega replied back to me, and told me that I could send it to "The Swatch Group" which are the company who imports Omega to Scandinavia. They will send me a travel case tomorrow, so I can send the watch back to them.

If i understood correctly, a watchmaker at the Swatch Group will inspect the watch, and make a decision as to whether they can fix this on-site, or if it must be forwarded to Omega. I shared my concern about the dust getting into the movement. I also noticed that the clasp on the watch might ble slight off, as there is a gap in it, and it seems a little loose (see picture). Can anyone with a SMPc tell me if this is normal? I wonder if I've been very unlucky with my first Omega, or just getting paranoid. Skjermbilde 2018-10-03 kl. 21.58.48.png

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 3, 2018

Edited Oct 3, 2018
    DaveK and Seamaster1994 like this.