Forums Latest Members

Brand new PO8500 has a movement issue

1. POinNY Jun 3, 2016

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Planet Ocean 8500 42mm orange bezel yesterday. My Authorized Dealer had to special order it and said it was the last one left in the regional warehouse. All looked good upon inspection. Please note I also have another 42mm black Planet Ocean 8500. I love the watch so much I wanted another!

I haven't even had it for a full day and I'm noticing something weird that the new watch does that the old one does not do. When setting the time with the crown pulled all the way out (position 3?) so that the seconds hand stops and rotating the crown clockwise to set the hour, I'll notice the seconds hand does a small "twitch" in place. It never moves beyond that, it just sort it twitches in place as I rotate the crown clockwise to go back in time. I noticed that there's no consistency when it does it. Sometimes it will happen, sometimes it won't. It happened first when I stopped the seconds hand on the 12 o'clock marker and rotated the crown clockwise - that's when the seconds hand would twitch in place. Now it doesn't happen on the 12 o'clock marker anymore, but on other areas of the dial.

I checked the same thing on my old PO8500 and it does not happen. This is why I'm worried. With the old watch the seconds hand would never move in place when turning the crown counterclockwise or clockwise. My old PO is also about 3 years old so maybe it's fully broken in. I don't even know if break-in is a process for new mechanical watches, but it's just a theory of mine. I'm worried something might be loose inside. Is this possible? Should I go to my Omega Boutique that happens to have a watchmaker onsite and explain to them the situation? Has anyone else with a PO8500 noticed this? If not, would you mind testing yours to see if it happens?

Again, procedure is as follows:
    - Pull crown out all the way so that the seconds hand stops completely
    - Rotate crown clockwise as to turn back time
    - Check to see if the seconds hand "twitches" in place
    - Check this in various areas of the dial

Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited Jun 3, 2016
  2. Canuck Jun 3, 2016

There may be other opinions on this, but I'd say nothing to worry about.

3. stamsd Jun 3, 2016

You paid good money for a brand new watch. I would say that ANY concern that you may have is a valid one that the AD should look in to. Better to sort it out now rather than have someone tell you that it's wear and tear that you caused.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2016

Relax and enjoy your watches instead of obsessing over the small things.

gttime likes this.
  5. POinNY Jun 3, 2016

I get that. But is this normal? Wouldn't you consider it strange that my other PO8500 doesn't do this? I would think that would make many people curious that something might be wrong.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 3, 2016

Archer's a pretty obsessive watchmaker, if he doesn't think its anything of significance I wouldn't worry

OMGRLX likes this.
  7. POinNY Jun 3, 2016

I know, I'm happy he chimed in. But it still doesn't explain why my other PO8500 doesn't do this with the seconds hand... shouldn't these watches behave identical as far as mechanisms? I just don't want it giving me issues down the road. I think I'll pop in to the NYC Omega boutique tomorrow and have them take a look for themselves

8. RARJ Jun 3, 2016

I'd perhaps bring it to their attention, get it documented, and then wear it for a month or so and see if it levels out.

9. POinNY Jun 3, 2016

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2016

As you have been told here and by multiple posters on WUS, there is nothing to be concerned about...

OMGRLX, Nitzbar, gttime and 3 others like this.
  11. POinNY Jun 3, 2016

Ok, thanks.

Just a FYI...I reread the first post and realized I made a mistake so I edited it. It happens when turning the crown clockwise when the movement is stopped, not counterclockwise as I had previously indicated.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 3, 2016

Your watch is in spec. I think more then a few people know exactly what causes this behavior but it is normal. Anyone with a 7s26 movement should know what causes it. I think they are afraid to tell you as you will go demand something not broken to be fixed. At least one Omega qualified watchmaker has told you it is normal.

OMGRLX and Nobel Prize like this.
  13. OmegaCard Anti-sticky exaggerator extraordinaire! Jun 3, 2016

Fahgettaboudit.

14. TNTwatch Jun 4, 2016

OMGRLX and Foo2rama like this.
  15. themarshmall0w Jun 16, 2016

When you pull out the crown to the setting position the hack stops the balance from moving seizing the gear train. The cannon pinion is friction fit onto a flat gear that is connected to the third wheel of the gear train. When you're setting the time the cannon pinion disconnects itself from the gear train in order to move the hands freely. What you're observing is the slack in the gears getting pushed back and fourth by the cannon pinion when setting the time.

overlinjw and OMGRLX like this.
  16. overlinjw Jun 16, 2016

My SM300MC did the same thing when I set it... It's just from the jolt of the jumping hour mechanism I guessed. Never affected the timekeeping or anything so I fugottaboutit. You should too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk