Forums Latest Members
  1. PhilF Jul 27, 2019

Ok, admit to being a newbie Speedmaster owner, I've successfully changed bands & bracelets on Seikos, Bulova & others, I have an assortment of quality strap tools as well as the tool that came with my Speedy.
    Read the book that shows how to change the bracelet, including the caution "This manipulation can result in damage to your watch" that my Omega Boutique will be pleased to make the change for me. Ok, my AD is a 2-hour round trip and the nearest Boutique is an hour and a half minimum on a toll road (Pa Turnpike$$$).
    I haven't installed my new Velcro NATO because, quite frankly, I don't want to scratch the lugs on a $4000+ watch and a long trip for a strap change is kinda dumb.
    Should I order a Bergeon 6825 Bracelet tool from Otto Frei? Looks like it should make the task less risky. So what's the collective opinion here? Should I just try it with the factory-supplied tool? I'm a retired Biomedical technician, so I'm not without skills, just a bit intimidated by the $'s involved if I screw this up.
    Appreciate any advice, thanks

2. avidmark Jul 27, 2019

Yes! I have a knockoff version and it still saves my lugs.

connieseamaster and PhilF like this.
  3. OmegaFan503 Jul 27, 2019

I use the omega supplied one. It is pretty good.

You can try putting tape under the lugs near where the pins are. It will give some protection to scratches.

waveguide and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Dan S Jul 27, 2019

A good tool helps, but it won't totally substitute for skill and experience. I would suggest practicing on a different watch until you're confident you have developed the necessary level of skill. With enough experience, you won't be concerned about scratching the lugs.

whyboddau, Turpinr and PhilF like this.
  5. snunez Jul 28, 2019

I second the tape method. I use camera tape and it works well when you are new at this, or even experienced but out of practice. It's cheap at any camera store. I think they call it 'gaffe' tape.

waveguide likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 28, 2019

Paperclip, pocket knife, credit card, fancy bergeon, expensive Rolex or Omega branded tool - I've used them all and each works if you are careful and take your time.

p.s. Taping is for WUSses. :p

connieseamaster and TheBosston like this.
  7. Bugbait Jul 28, 2019

Get a decent tool (Bergeon works) to reduce the chance of the tip breaking off and hitting something you don't want it to, like your face or eye. The cheap tools can break on the first or second use! For the relatively small cost (about £11-13 delivered in the UK) it's not worth considering the cheaper alternatives in my opinion. I've tried them, it was a regrettable experience.

tikkathree and PhilF like this.
  8. PhilF Jul 28, 2019

After many years as both a Gunsmith and Biomedical Technician, learned early on that you can't depend on cheap tools, with few exceptions, investing in quality tools always pays off, not only in quality of your work products but also your safety, cheap stuff tends to follow Murphy's law. There's also my decision tool: You can get good and you can get cheap, they seldom come in the same box. Virtually never been disappointed when I got something that was better than I thought I needed. Thanks for the nudge, I ordered the Bergeon!

pkaye6 likes this.
  9. PhilF Jul 28, 2019

Further information: I'm 71, and have some fairly nasty nerve damage to my right hand, definitely not as steady as I used to be......I'm still active as a Gunsmith, but, becoming more selective about what I tackle these days. My Speedmaster was a retirement present to myself, I'm learning horological skills, but I'd rather not make my Speedy a learning experience where I have to "fail & try again"

10. PhilF Jul 28, 2019

Appreciate this, however, governed by what's on the Snoopy Speedy, "Failure is not an option" I've widgeted and ratcheted my way through lots of stuff, not afraid to fail except with this watch. I worked too hard and long to earn it, trying to insure I get it right the 1st time.

gerrya likes this.
  11. cholack Jul 29, 2019

Look up Spring Bar Pliers by Horofix - it is exactly what you need . I think you’ll need to order in addition to that the 0.8mm tips

tikkathree, PhilF and wsfarrell like this.
  12. PhilF Jul 29, 2019

Looked seriously at Horofix, but opted to go all-in and ordered the Bergeon 6825. They looked fine and were less expensive, but the "Made in China" was the spoiler for me. They may be just ok, however, in the gunsmithing world, a Chinese tool is questionable due to the shenanigans the Chinese play with tool-steel metallurgy. I tend to avoid Chinese tools like the plague, I don't even try anymore. Seen just too much cheating to have any trust or confidence, they'll screw you in a heartbeat. You generally get what you pay for, sometimes less. The Swiss, as far as tools are concerned, still seem to have some pride & ethics.....some other areas, not so much. I'll always opt for Swiss, German, US and yes, Japanese tools as a matter of preference & trust.

13. tzachi Jul 29, 2019

Bergeon, the expensive tools, are not really (IMO) that better then a normal Chinese tools to justify the diff.

14. SantaCruz Jul 30, 2019

15. Bugbait Jul 30, 2019

Have you used both? The cheaper tools can have burrs and are constructed from cheap steel that can easily break off during use. Been there, painfully done that.

Even higher quality fine screwdrivers are worth it. I've changed the battery on my X-33 multiple times myself and I wouldn't trust cheaper screwdrivers on those fine titanium screws.

I don't use Bergeon screwdrivers but they're not a few pounds/dollars per set either.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 30, 2019

Maybe they aren't, but when I started I had to buy three sets of screwdrivers before I found ones of acceptable feel and quality. For the same price as the three Chinese made sets, I could have bought a set of Bergeon.

However, I didn't, I decided to get a set of VOH screwdrivers and I'm totally satisfied with them.

17. cholack Jul 30, 2019

Well, if you research it a bit, you will know that the tips are compatible with Bergeon tips, and the pliers are nearly identical.....anyways, they work beautifully for me and I have no issues with the Horofix ones.

PhilF likes this.
  18. PhilF Jul 30, 2019

Noticed that, also noted then when you added a set of the Bergeon tips, the price was close to equal. I guess this whole process is a learning curve, I did learn that Otto Frei, while he has good stuff, does a lot of commentary on how unfair Swiss suppliers are and his shipping costs are over-the-top in today's market. For spring bars and small stuff, totally outrageous. I like having spare parts, but I'll wait and order from either Omega or my AD. Did order a Horotec screwdriver for the bracelet screws off Amazon, fits the bracelet screws perfectly.

19. PhilF Jul 30, 2019

I guess a sticky with "reccomended tools" and where best to source them would be helpful for those of us just starting to put our toes in the pool. I've taken a "Buy once, cry once" attitude when it comes to quality, probably unnecessary in some areas. Thanks for all the experience-based advice, it's appreciated. Assembling a basic tool kit for dealing with (Omega) straps & bracelets is what I'm trying to do, fairly well equipped for Seiko & most others, but tools for bracelets where links are $125 and screws are almost microscopic require some good information, getting there slowly, horological tools are a different world from Biomed and Gunsmithing.

SantaCruz likes this.
  20. Hands90 Aug 1, 2019

Honestly I do not understand how people claim to change the straps especially when tapped without scratching the lugs.
    I've gone back and forth with this on a number of watches and no matter what I do there will be scratches.

The simple act of taking the bracelet off like this in the Omega manual will scratch your watch lugs.
    The spring bars will create hair line scratches (I believe these just don't bother people like they bother me.)

For me I think it's time to break down and buy the Bergeon 7825.
    I've determined this is the only way to take off the bracelet.

I wonder what Omega uses? (also do not be surprised if you google "AD scratched my lugs")