Forums Latest Members
  1. cdw2222 Aug 29, 2012

Hello,
    Long time lurker here.I'am looking for a bit of advice on removing a no.12 bracelet from my constellation it appears to have solid bars where I would expect spring bars,if I move it to a certain angle there is a recess but I having no joy moving it with a spring bar tool.Any ideas before I just cut it off.

Thanks Colin.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 29, 2012

It would be helpful if you could post a couple photos.

My first thought is that someone used spring bars which are too long.

3. cdw2222 Sep 2, 2012

Sorry for the delay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bonus
    [​IMG]

Apologies for crappy iphone pics,as you can see (hopefully) when held at an angle a detent in the bar can be seen this is solid and cannot be moved.

Any thoughts

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

You're watch does not have solid bars. While it appears a tight fight, any competent watchmaker should be able to remove it if you can not yourself. Personally I would remove it with a 140mm flat-head screwdriver, as a spring bar tool can be harder to get in there and could damage the lugs with a slip.

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

+1, if it doesn't come out with a screwdriver bring it to a watchmaker. It's worse when people use the springbars with no notches on watches without lug holes, sometimes it can take an hour to get them off. :thumbsdown:

6. cdw2222 Sep 2, 2012

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried a very small jewellers screwdiver with no luck,I think I will put a little WD40 in and leave it overnight.If that doesn't work I will give it to a professional.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 2, 2012

Here is one other possibility. I've seen many Omega bracelets which were originally fitted with spring bars which had a tab on one end which protruded up through the notch in the bottom of the end link. These often get twisted around so the tab isn't visible.

IMG_0906.JPG

8. N2FHL Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2012

I think you're on the right track. In the picture with your thumb on the back, it looks a little green in there- probably corroded. Soak it for a couple of days and it will probably loosen up. You should then replace it anyway.

If, as Kyle described, someone used a spring bar that is too long you may not have room to depress the pin on the end. These I break out. This can be done without damage to the case or bracelet. You pad the whole end with a thick rag and carefully twist 'til it breaks. Hard to describe, but it works.

Another option is to saw it out with a thin jewelers blade between the lug and endpiece. It takes patience and care not to leave marks on either.

9. cdw2222 Sep 2, 2012

10. goodman Nov 26, 2020

I have found another option myself. Just take a rounded unsharpened kitchen knife and use it to bend the underside of the metal plate close to the case. The metal is quite easy to bend this way. Once you get about 3 - 4 mm space use your tool to turn the spring bar in a direction you can press it. Press it from the side and it is done. It takes about 10 minutes, when you are careful not to damage the bracelet. I have also used a plastic bag and put it on the back, so that it does not get scratched when the knife is touching it. It really is not possible to get out otherwise, because the original bars can only be released by the pin from the side.