Forums Latest Members

Bracelet re-attached, now fits poorly...UPDATE

1. Maximus84 Jun 17, 2016

So, just over a year ago, I took the bracelet (new one with screws etc) off my Speedy Pro to try out some straps. I noticed when I took it off that the end links (particularly the small flange on either side) had scratched/gouged the underside of the lug. Being new to this game, and not wanting to see these ugly marks (yes I know they're on the underside), I tried to polish them out a bit with some Cape Cod cloth. They looked better but the marks hadn't been completely removed. I was conscious of over-polishing, so I left them as they were.

Here I am, some 13 months later, and I decided to put the bracelet back on. I then noticed the endlink fitment to the case wasn't as tight as it once was, particularly on the 12 o'clock side. Indeed, there is even a little bit of movement in both lugs. I was trying to work out why this could be then it hit me - could I have polished off so much of the underside of the lug that it changed the shape/thickness of the lug, meaning the fit of the end links now isn't as snug? I'm currently kicking myself massively that my initial naivety may have screwed the lugs up, and now the poor fitting and movement will just make things worse, with dirt ingress etc.

Anything I can do?

2. yinzerniner Jun 17, 2016

Are you sure you're using the correct springbars? And I don't just mean by width, but I mean by diameter and pin size? The lug holes in the lugs are made to fit 1.8x1mm spring bars (middle diameter x insertion pin diameter), but some springbars are 1.5mmx.8mm. Using skinnier spring bars could easily induce a good amount of movement. .3mm (differences in middle diameter) plus .2 mm (difference in pin diameter) which would easily be noticeable.

ctpete likes this.
  3. Maximus84 Jun 17, 2016

Yeah, it's the same bars that came with the watch/bracelet. And I'm pretty sure there was no bending etc. I got the Speedy with the new box, accessories etc and it comes with some spare springbars, but they're longer, and for straps.

4. cwindham Jun 17, 2016

What year is your Speedy Pro? I had my endlinks start to rattle. There is a thread on here somewhere explaining endlink rattle and how to fix it. The bottom 2 end pieces that stick out need to be bent upward. I had my 633 endlinks doing the same thing u described.

5. Maximus84 Jun 17, 2016

I got it in Nov '14. It's the newer bracelet with the screws etc. It has 1958/957 on the clasp. If I could bend those bottom pieces you talk about I think it would improve things, but they look too short and thick to do anything with.

6. cwindham Jun 17, 2016

7. Maximus84 Jun 17, 2016

^^ Thanks for the link. I could how that fix would work with hollow links, but not for these solid ones.

I guess I'm just wondering if my potentially over zealous polishing has caused me an issue here. The gap and movement is only slight, but enough for me to notice straight away. I'm annoyed that I may have ruined the lugs for eternity and I'like never get a snug end link fit again!! Haha!

8. yinzerniner Jun 17, 2016

I think theoretically it's possible since the fins of the solid end links should be tight against the underside of the lugs, but that would've taken a LOT of cape codding to get to that point.
    Just as an experiment - try putting mounting the bracelet with masking tape on the underside of the lugs and leave just enough to act as a him between the fins and the lugs. If this solves any rattling or looseness then you probably polished off too much material. If that's not the case then there's something amiss elsewhere so at least you'll eliminate the possibility that the damage was self-inflicted.
    Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

jfdomega and Maximus84 like this.
  9. Maximus84 Jun 17, 2016

Thanks for the input. I realise it's a bit subjective, but how much would you say is a lot? I reckon I did about 10mins on each lug, dipping a cotton bud in the cape cod cloth to absorb the polish. Maybe I didn't appreciate the power of the cloth, and the potential effects of maybe altering the shape of the lugs. It does seem like quite a drastic result though!

I'll see if I can try what you suggested - a similar thought had crossed my mind!

10. Donn Chambers Jun 17, 2016

I seriously doubt you removed enough metal with a cape cod cloth to do any serious damage -- they just aren't that abrasive. The more likely solution is you bent or damaged the spring bar removing it. Since you said it's worse on the 12 o'clock side, switch the spring bars and see if it's better. If it is, then it's the springbar.

The other possibility is the springbar isn't seated properly.

Maximus84 likes this.
  11. Maximus84 Jun 18, 2016

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can try either, or both of those suggestions! I don't think the bars are bent, but you never know. Trouble is, we're moving house (and countries!) soon so most of the stuff I need has been packed away already!

12. Maximus84 Jun 18, 2016

Ok, so my watch box (and tools) are all boxed up ready to be sent away in our shipping on Tues, so I'm not really able to get at it myself to check springbars etc.

I may see if I can take it into my AD to have a look. I had just thought that even if I didn't bend the springbars myself, maybe if I put the bars in the 'wrong' end of the bracelet, I.e. The 12 o'clock in the 6 link and vice verse, then maybe the fit is slightly different, and switching them back may cure it (as Donn mentions).

The gap and movement is very slight, and it shouldn't annoy me, but it is! Been trying to ascertain whether 15mins of sturdy polishing on each lug would've been enough to create this effect - from a visual standpoint the lugs look fine, and I can still see the original scratches/gouges that were only fractions of a millimetre deep anyway. Puzzling, to say the least.

Here you can see some (poor) photos. One, with gap, how the bracelet is naturally hanging, one without, with me pushing it against the case.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. Donn Chambers Jun 18, 2016

Hard to tell from the photos, but it does look like the springbar isn't seated properly. Do you have a loupe or magnifying glass you can get a closer look from the back?

If you aren't sure the springbar is seated, I wouldn't wear it. I had the bracelet detach in a (thankfully cheap) watch once when I thought I had the springbar seated and it wasn't.

14. Maximus84 Jun 19, 2016

I'll see if I can dig my loupe out later to have a better look, but just eyeballing it, they seem fine - straight and with no wiggle where the springbars seats into the lug. There is a very slight between the lug and the wider bit (collar?) of the springbars, but I assume this it to get purchase on the bar for removal.
    image.jpeg

15. Maximus84 Jun 19, 2016

For reference, I found an old pic of how the lugs were seated prior to taking the bracelet off for the first time.
    image.jpeg

16. Maximus84 Jun 19, 2016

I've had a look. It's not good news. I took the bracelet off and had a good look at the lugs. One of them in particular has slightly less material on the underside of the lug, and the edge is ever so slightly rounded. It's very minute, but it's there. It's looks like in my desire to get rid of those initially gouges (caused by the bracelet anyway) I went to bit over the top with the Cape Cod and now I'm destined for an ill fitting bracelet and slightly rounded lug.

I'm fuming with myself. It's a painful lesson learned, and it'll be a while before I get over it. This watch is a lifetime watch and future heirloom and I feel like I've ruined it after less than 2 years.

Given the material has gone, I take it there's no way it can be rectified at service time?

:-(

17. yinzerniner Jun 19, 2016

Uhh, sorry to hear. I think the only way it can be rectified is by getting a whole new case. I believe Omega offers this (at cost, of course) during their full service, and will even re-do the serial number on the lug to match the movement. However, the watch will no longer be all original.
    Some careful shimming should take care of the looseness if you desire to keep the piece as original as possible. Every watch tells a story, and now yours has one as unfortunate as it is.
    But seriously, how strong are your fingers to produce such drastic results!

18. Maximus84 Jun 19, 2016

Bugger! Yes, it is most unfortunate. I've learnt to live with superficial marks and scratches, as character and war wounds. This kind of damage, especially as I did it on purpose trying to improve things, is hard to take though! Especially as it's been there for over a year and I haven't noticed, now with the bracelet back o it's quite stark!

At the time I was conscious that polish removes bits of material etc, that's what polishing is. I just never thought it could make such a difference!

What do you mean by shimming, for the looseness? I'm not sure how I'd feel about changing the case. If I did it at first service, i.e. 4 or so years from new, it would mean it would still have the same case for 25+ years after that as I plan to pass it on to my child eventually. It's not an LE or a particularly significant reference, so I have no issues on the value etc. But then the case is an integral part of the watch, and already has other marks and nicks that I remember doing and form part of the story. Plus there's the cost - I dread to think how much Omega would charge for a new case!

I feel a little better about it now I've spent a couple of hours playing with my 2yr old. Always gonna kick myself though!

19. Donn Chambers Jun 19, 2016

Sorry to hear this. I'm still surprised cape cod would take off so much material, but that one picture you posted really makes it clear. I think all you can do is to wear it on a strap, or live with the gap. Best you can do is forget about it and move on.

20. Maximus84 Jun 19, 2016

Sadly, I know you're right. I feel a bit stupid about it now but you live and learn. As some kind of fix, I've put a couple of tiny strips of clear tape on the lug, just where the fins are, to try and bridge the gap. It's kind of improved things, but is far from elegant!

I've had the watch on various straps since May of last year, and everything has been fine! Decide to put the bracelet back on and......damn!

Maybe it's a freak occurrence with the cape cod, I dunno. Hopefully a lesson for someone else thinking of getting down with the polish in the future!