Forums Latest Members
  1. Trenstar Apr 13, 2019

Hi, I'm new here! Fresh off the purchase of a Speedmaster Pro, and feeling like a bit instantly hooked. It's a bit crazy how quickly I went from "Well, if a guy were to buy one nice watch in his life, what should it be?" to "Wow this thing is really nice, I should probably get another style sometime".

So, while I'm in no rush at this point, I think I will try to find a used diver someday. I reckon it would be smart to get one that has the same size lug distance, so that I have the option to switch bracelets/straps between watches, in the event I get a leather strap one day etc.

I really like the look of the Seamaster 300, but I noticed that the lug width is different from the Speedmaster. However I thought I saw something about that being a new change, and that older Seamaster 300 models were 20mm between lugs, same as the SMP.

Anyone know when that case size change occurred, and what kind of identifiers I'd want to keep my eyes open for, in order to find a Seamaster that could take same bracelet/strap as the Speedmaster?

Cheers,

2. WYO_Watch Apr 13, 2019

Welcome to the forum - And congrats on the Speedy! Now post us some pictures of it - and get a I.D. picture (we like pictures).

I can’t tell you if/when the Seamaster left 20mm. Potentially the master of seamasters @padders may be able to direct you.

But I will be the first to recommend that lug width shouldn’t be the only (or even main) driving force toward your next piece. First, Speedmasters and Seamasters have different bracelet designs. Some people interchange them, but I doubt it’s that common and you likely won’t. Second, other watch characteristics are more significant than being able to save a few bucks on straps. I’d recommend going with the watch you saw and liked. Maybe you would be best suited to narrow down a few Seamasters you like based on color, bezel, dial, case size, etc.

I’ve only owned three “modern” Seamasters (none were remotely new) and all three are very different. This can show you some of the diversity in the line you are looking at.

The first was a prebond with an integrated bracelet. But the bracelet was so comfortable I don’t know why anyone would want to switch it out anyway. Super underrated watch if you ask me, I’d love to get my hands on the rarer full size auto. Not my watch or photo:
    559B457B-DD71-4EEB-9536-4178CBD6BA0D.jpeg

The second Seamaster I owned was an omega multifunction. What it lacked in rotating bezel it made up with on its digital dial. It was an awesome watch and I would also like to own another... my watch and wrist: DED357FC-D043-405B-BCE2-9F706A4254D0.jpeg

The third Seamaster I’ve owned is the Bond full size automatic with blue wave dial and it has a 20mm lug width. I consider this the original and most classic of the Seamaster lineup (even though the quartz is really the original bond). Same ugly wrist, different watch:
    6474DB04-66AB-4A4B-84AC-81D734E2F5C9.jpeg

starcraft, ConElPueblo and padders like this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 14, 2019

Thanks for the namecheck @WYO_Watch though I had never considered myself an expert, just a collector who got bit carried away but are right in that I have had err quite a few of those mentioned above, multiples of each in fact. And I do like to monkey around with bracelets.

To the OP. It is more normal in collecting circles that the abbreviation SMP refers to the dive watch more formally known as the Seamaster 300m. (Note the m) as seen in photo 3 above. This was launched as the Bond style and several others back in 1993 and it was joined by the wonderful 2254 and 2255 sword hands versions around 1997. Crucially this 41mm full size in all its versions up until 2019 has 20mm lugs. While the lug spacing may be the same as the Speedmaster Pro, the case curvature is not so unfortunately you may find that the bracelet doesn’t fit both. It may be better to put one on a leather strap. Omega have marketed other watches with similar names, the Seamaster 300 (no m) for instance which has 21mm lugs I believe but as I say you may find that even a watch with a 20mm bracelet won’t allow fitment of the Speedmaster bracelet.

Edited Apr 14, 2019
    WYO_Watch likes this.
  4. Trenstar Apr 14, 2019

Thank you for all the info! And yes to clarify I wasn't thinking so much of switching bracelets from one to the other, just thought that if I do get another with the same lug spacing, and I get a leather strap one day, then I would be able to use the leather strap on both watches. And yes it was the Seamaster 300 with 21 mm lugs that I noticed, which prompted the curiosity. PS I really like that one in the bottom photo, is that the "sword hands" that you speak of?

WYO_Watch likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 14, 2019

No, that is the original Bond style SMP which has skeleton hands. Here are some sword hands models, the 2254, 2255 and the AC:

IMG_6397.jpg IMG_6318.jpg IMG_5368.jpg

WYO_Watch likes this.
  6. 77deluxe Apr 14, 2019

7. Trenstar Apr 14, 2019

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 14, 2019

Well strap hell exists...

22mm Planet Ocean, SKX, Sinn 903
    20mm Speedmaster Pro
    19mm Speedmaster Date, vintage Seiko
    18mm most of my other pieces.