Forums Latest Members

Bracelet for 6139-6040 «Silver ghost»?

1. Gulosten Aug 30, 2021

1EE1D717-38CA-4930-9656-612ACE86F67D.jpeg Hi, I recently picked up a 6139-6040 «Silver ghost» from 1977.

I would like to buy a bracelet for this watch. Anyone know where I can get hold of a original bracelet, or where I can find a new one that fits this model? Uncle Seiko did not have anyone fitting for sale.

The watch also came with a orange dial, do these have any value?

Thanks for all the help!

Best regards

MoclovFlop and m84 like this.
  2. spe777 Aug 30, 2021

The places I'd look (which you may have already tried): Ebay, Yahoo Auctions, and SCWF (Seiko Citizen Watch Forum).

m84 and Gulosten like this.
  3. JamesTYO Aug 31, 2021

I don't think this variation was ever sold in Japan so that would narrow your search slightly, and I think the actual strap was probably unique to that model number.

Gulosten likes this.
  4. m84 Aug 31, 2021

That's a great watch (been on my wishlist for years) and quite difficult to find in good original condition! Yours looks great condition, even though I've never seen a dial with pointy A's in the 'japan' script (but my knowledge is also not up to par on these)...
    Wear in good health!

Gulosten likes this.
  5. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Aug 31, 2021

Great watches! One of the most underrated and best looking 6139's in my eyes.

Mine:

Unknown-3.jpeg

If you didn't already know (which it sounds like maybe you did), if you see a bracelet and can't tell if it's quite right, you'll want to keep an eye out for endlinks that are marked "B242"

Best bet will be to find a donor watch that is beat up for cheap on eBay. I saw one with it's bracelet but otherwise junk sell for around $175 not too long ago.

The orange dial would have value if original, but as @m84 mentioned you want to be sure the text is correct. They all should have a Flat A in the sub script.

Good luck, bracelets are out there and are worth the hunt.

6. Gulosten Aug 31, 2021

Thank you so much, this forum is so full of knowledge!

I did not know anything about this as this is my first Seiko. All my other vintage watches are Omega, Heuer, Rolex, Breitling, Zodiac etc. I came across it at a local online marketplace for 700 USD, and had to buy it after reading this article: https://www.fratellowatches.com/seiko-6139-versus-zenith-el-primero-a386/

I’ve attached a photo of the orange dial, it is not in mint condition..

Is the current dial a service part or something since it has a pointy A?

Best regards

3FA2E4E6-AD1E-4B28-A782-606976525E48.jpeg

7. Gulosten Aug 31, 2021

Some more questions from a Seiko newbie

- Does bracelets have names/numbers like for Omega, or can they be recognised only from the end link number «B242»?

- On both my dials it says « Japan 6139» / «-6100 T». What is the mesning of the latest number as the watch model is named 6139-6040?

Thanks for all help so far

8. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Aug 31, 2021

I'm going to bet that orange one is the original for the watch and somebody swapped it for the one in there now. It's the real deal.

The one in your watch isn't a service dial, since they don't exist. It's just an aftermarket dial.

Gulosten likes this.
  9. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Aug 31, 2021

Clasps don't have model numbers like Omega. But you'll want to be sure they are at least marked "Japan" on the clasp for this generation. Usually something like "Japan B"

Endlinks and just bracelet design are the only ways to really tell them apart. Seiko used similar designs across different models, but with slight differences. Really just need to study the one you want and compare it to ones you find. For example, there's another Seiko bracelet out there that looks similar to the 6040 one, but the center links are wider and the sides of the links don't have the same chamfer.

If you can find one with the B242 endlinks, you'll be a little more certain it's correct since the bracelet will fit the links, if that makes sense....

10. Gulosten Aug 31, 2021

You are probably right. It came fully serviced so perhaps the former owner decided to change the dial?

11. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Aug 31, 2021

The 6100 on the dial is just the dial style code, 6040 is the case style code.