Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo Feb 4, 2014

Do you or have you paid a premium for a watch that includes box and papers? Is it enough of a perk to push a "good" watch above a "better than good" watch? I know original b&p is uncommon but does it really drive up what you're willing to spend?

2. nyc863 Feb 4, 2014

The box isn't so important because you can buy them, what is valuable is anything that puts its authenticity above suspicion so guarantee papers, original receipt, a letter from the first owner, hang tags with serial number, old service receipts. The more valuable and collectible the watch is, the more paperwork will enhance its value. Of course a great example without paperwork vs an unremarkable one with paperwork is going to be a difficult choice.

3. ulackfocus Feb 4, 2014

Real world example:

I paid $300 more than I wanted for my pre-owned VC Malte Grande because it had all the stuff it came with when it was purchased - box, papers, dealer information, cleaning cloth, etc.

Hardy likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 5, 2014

It is more so for higher end brand......

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

The short answer is that it adds a bit to the value of the total package, but not the big premium that some people hope it does.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

If its a vintage Omega Centenary from 1948 and it has the original box and papers, big plus, if it has the original receipt for $130 or whatever it originally cost, even better. Those situations I'd totally pay a premium just because its plain cool on vintage pieces like that.

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

Boxes and papers will make a desirable watch even more desirable but will not elevate a mediocre watch.

rick42650 likes this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 5, 2014

Especially for Patek. At the highest lever their "Letter from the Archives" is somewhat acceptable. However the original Certificate of Origin is generally required highest sales.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

Both good summaries of the situation. If I could only figure out how to wear the box and papers, I might pay even more of a premium.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 5, 2014

"On the Way to Going Broke" I was somewhat a collector. As time as and my bankroll went by, I bought, and traded for only what I would wear. After wearing a Patek Nautilus as my daily beater that all others worn everyday did not need boxes and papers. Just my 2c's.

11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 5, 2014

+1.

I had a Jardur chrono (Val. 72) that had box, instructions, 2 warranty slips with U.S. Agent's address (one to keep, one to submit?), and the receipt from a seller located at a municipal airport.

High cool factor.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

A lot depends on what was in the box along with the watch. Most higher-end brands included a lot of "stuff" as mentioned above.

[​IMG]

Having the original chronometer certification paperwork can add greatly to value, simply because it was hand written and personalized for each watch.

On the other hand, starting in the 1960's, instruction manuals were mass produced by the companies and were basically the same for all watches with similar features.

Some boxes are worth hundreds of dollars by themselves. Google "Speedmaster Moon Box" or "Heuer Helmet Box" for examples.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 5, 2014

It thus follows that some boxes are aggressively faked too. Where there is money to be made....