Forums Latest Members

Box and papers value added

1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 18, 2018

Question concerning box and papers.....

-lack of papers for a modern watch, say an Omega of any type in the $5-10k range. What amount of value would be lost in your opinions?

-box? You can always get a box. Would lack of a box reduce the value in any big way.

-you have your modern Omega watch serviced by Omega. Thus you would have service paperwork from Omega. Would this replace the lost value of not having the original papers?

-original box and papers mainly for those that collect or is a must? (unless service papers provided)

I am sure I left out other pertinent questions......I am after all fairly new to the watch game

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 18, 2018

Well, Pop, box and papers fill the desire for a factory original, complete package.
    Service papers aren't as good just like a service dial isn't as good.

It's not a game breaker/deal buster but I feel that original box and papers are worth 10-20% because they are so damn supportive of provenance and originality.

Just as the original box increases the value of vintage toys, it increases the value of our toys!

I bought a Seamaster in '72 and threw away the box, papers and 1170 bracelet ::facepalm2::. I value the watch head at 3k but if I still had it all, I'd be at 4k with the bracelet at $700US and the total package at $300 (+10%).

3. Rowdy Oct 18, 2018

I went to Rolex AD a while back and they were willing to take my SMP 2255 on trade. First thing they ask me is if I have box and papers. I think if I had complete package it would have been worth couple hundred more.

4. paulw Oct 18, 2018

Surely it's the same for all high end products - anything which gives it a history make it either higher value or just plain easier to sell.

Paul

Snowman and marco like this.
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 18, 2018

Question again here, if you have watch serviced by Omega, does it give you another couple years warranty?
    Or does it just give you a piece of paper showing service?
    Would service by Omega on an Omega not show authenticity?
    Read some past threads on this topic, box and papers add couple to the value on average.
    I will assume a freshly serviced watch with a 2 year warranty period adds back a couple dollars. Am I assuming correctly? As a buyer paying a couple hundred for serviced watch is more desirable than the “last service unknown” disclaimer. Right....

Edited Oct 18, 2018
  6. Renton Oct 18, 2018

over here where i live, if you go to a vintage watch dealer shop, the first thing they ask is: does it come with box and papers? if not, they immediately say they will have to cut your asking price by 6-10%. reason being "without box and papers, it's hard for them to resell".

Snowman likes this.
  7. boogedyboo Oct 19, 2018

I would assume the % of the final price associated with box and papers goes up with the age of the watch. In order words, box and papers for a 105.012 would increase the selling price by a higher margin than B&P for a modern 3570.50 so I would say between 5% to 30% of the final price.

To answer your other questions:
    - Box will have less value than papers as boxes are generic where as papers are unique to THAT watch
    - Service paperwork is not a solid replacement for original papers but helps to put minds at ease with regards to authenticity when buying vintage watches. In addition, it gives assurance that the watch has been serviced and it will normally come with a warranty
    - Boxes and papers are not a must but will help if you eventually plan to sell. If you don't plan to sell, they will just sit around and gather dust.

Snowman likes this.
  8. Snowman Oct 19, 2018

I would always go that extra mile to get a particular model with box and papers
    But that’s just my particular ocd issue

9. Adamtrigg10 Oct 19, 2018

Normally when I’m looking at getting a watch I will always look for box and papers because then you know the dealer has taken care. It’s not a 100% must have but would much prefer it. If you plan to sell the watch I would say box and papers are worth it.

Snowman likes this.