Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedieMan Apr 22, 2018

Hi, For those in the USA, I am looking for a leather band with an OEM buckle. Since looking for vintage style seems to be filled with fake options, I think the next possible step is going the retail route.

So, Has anyone bought an OEM leather band (with buckle) from the omega boutique somewhere in the USA. If you have, how much did you spend?

2. fwright00 Apr 22, 2018

I bought an Omega 20mm Alligator Deployant of off a jeweler in LA on Ebay (magicstrap) for $175 and was happy with it. The Omega Deployant itself I got from OF was about $210 shipped, slightly used but in great shape. Really happy with both. I'd previously ordered an "Omega" deployant off of ebay for $30 or $40 but it was clearly a knock-off, especially when placed side-by-side next to the authentic one.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. fwright00 Apr 22, 2018

Also, check the "Watch Parts and Accessories" forum, I bought my deployant from @yinzerniner and had a great transaction and he's got some great leather bands for sale over there.

4. SpeedieMan Apr 22, 2018

Thanks fwright00. I assume the strap with the regular buckle would be less expensive than that right? This is for a 1956 seamaster that I am restoring. The deployment buckle didn't exist on omega watches at that point.

5. fwright00 Apr 22, 2018

Not sure if the lug width on a '56 Seamaster is 18 or 19mm. The first band/buckle combo in this page might be available, I'd message him if it suits your taste:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/oem...ato-deploy-tang-18-19-20mm.64058/#post-853566

I'm new enough I don't have a better suggestion for buckle hunting other than stalking the accessories for sale forum, but I would assume buckles will be cheaper than the deployants. I've been on the hunt for bands myself for a non-omega 60's era watch and just ordered one from Hirsch, they're a bit pricey and come from England, but I've heard great things about their quality from OF. They come with non-branded buckles though but could be swapped out when you find the right one.

6. SpeedieMan Apr 22, 2018

I was on their site earlier! The whole reason I started this post is because it appears that 99% of the buckles on ebay tonight are reproductions. I have wanted this particular watch since I was a little kid. Im almost there, but the band needs to be right.

7. fwright00 Apr 22, 2018

I hear you. I'm on the hunt for a vintage JLC buckle for a 60's Memovox and just resigned to being patient until one pops up here. Looking at prices for your Omega buckle, here's some that have sold recently for comparison, looks like 80-200+ depending on steel vs gold, style, etc. I'm sure experts here can pop in and suggest which buckle style is most "period appropriate". It's the little things that no one else notices that can be satisfying in these projects sometimes.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-buckles-and-straps.70968/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/1960s-omega-sun-buckle-16mm-in-stainless-steel.70931/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-vintage-buckle-16-mm-w-hirsch-strap-reduced.70636/

8. SpeedieMan Apr 22, 2018

:)
    The case (when it finally arrives) is stainless. I'm ok with dropping 80 bucks on a stainless buckle, but I want a real one. I know I can get a copy for 15 dollars. If push comes to shove, I will just get a really nice strap and use the buckle that comes with it until an OEM comes up. If the boutique price is reasonable, I might just go that route too.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 22, 2018

1) Learn to spot original buckles from this forum. Try using the search feature.

2) Hunt eBay.

Original straps are not really available or expected on pieces from the 50-60’s