Forums Latest Members
  1. Pedro Johnston\ Jun 22, 2020

Hi,

Sorry for barging in, but it is my understanding that some of the guys in this forum are really skilled at identifying the value and collectability of vintage omegas.

I was looking for a thin dress watch, and in a YouTube video, the host suggested a vintage Omega at my price point. And they do look amazing. This linen dial is truly mesmerising, and the dimensions of this case really give off a class that you can't find in most modern watches at this price, which tend to be bigger.

Now, I love the watch (although, I don't really like the patina, it feels like dirt arround the indices, something to think about), and if I didn't find this forum, I wouldn't have given it much more of a thought, but here I am.

So upon browsing other posts here, I found that 350€ could be a fair price for this watch, IF all parts are original, and bonus points for an unpolished case, so I did some digging...

The serial for this watch, 14757, appears in omega's OVD but with a different dial! However, very confusingly, there are other watches in there with the 600 caliber that have very similar dials (particularly a branded seamster), AND, if I Google for listings of this number, this exact dial is the most common, although some are golden.

So, based on these pictures, how did you think I do? I'm not really a collector, but I'd rather pay a fair price, obviously.

Tell me if you need other pictures.Thank you much for your time guys!

(Also, the picture of themthe is from the seller but I can confirm it is legit based on the scratches of the case. Also also, the movement has just been overhauled, so there is also that value.)

IMG_20200622_141412.jpg IMG_20200622_141233.jpg IMG_20200622_141212.jpg IMG_20200622_141155.jpg IMG_20200622_141133.jpg IMG_20200622_141044.jpg IMG_20200622_140953.jpg IMG_20200622_140850.jpg IMG_20200622_140840.jpg Screenshot_20200622-143048.jpg
    Edited Jun 22, 2020
    Spruce and PauloSummer like this.
  2. Pedro Johnston\ Jun 22, 2020

Yeah guys my edit in the parentheses failed miserably, and I don't know why and I can't re-edit, it's supposed to say "the picture of the movement is from the seller"

wickedwabbit likes this.
  3. Canuck Jun 22, 2020

Collectibility of any item is based on individual preferences. This one is not necessarily a grail watch for many collectors, but it might be to you if you like it. I don’t see the patina on the dial markers that you refer to, but the dial appears to me to be original, and good considering the age of the watch. Others may argue that point. Plan on having the mechanism serviced, because it does not appear to me as having been serviced. Add the cost of servicing to the €350 price of the watch, and the price sounds high to me for what it is. Price of thorough, competent service depends on where you live. But figure to nearly double the purchase price.

4. Pedro Johnston\ Jun 22, 2020

Thanks for your thoughts. The main reason i bought it is because the seller, who has 100% feedback, and sells many other ligitimate looking watches, said, and repeated to me personally when asked, that this watch was just serviced. Maybe the photo is from before servicing? Perhaps i'll get it open and post a picture here, seems like the sensible thing to do.

5. wilderbeast Jun 22, 2020

Unless proof of service is provided, I would take the claim with a pinch of salt. Dealers often have batch services done on multiple watches and their watchmakers might not have been instructed to be as thorough as they could be. If it really has been done, then that’s a bonus, but you will want ensure it’s been done properly if you plan on wearing the watch often.

lindo and Archer like this.
  6. Canuck Jun 22, 2020

It would help if you could do that. There are telltale visual cues that give an indication of a recent servicing. There are also varying levels of “servicing”, but there is only one level that counts. Thorough, competent servicing. Some people put a bit of oil here and there, and call it “serviced”. A thorough service adds a cost to a watch the dealer is offering for sale. So many recently “serviced” watches, haven’t been.

7. MtV Jun 22, 2020

You could ask him what „serviced“ includes, but there’s still no guarantee that he’s genuine about that. While I’m not generally someone who likes to walk through life with deep scepticism regarding everything and everybody, it’s a healthy attitude towards most sellers / dealers. I‘d make exceptions for sales in this forum from established members and if there’s proof of a service from an independent watchmaker who I trust, but other than that I‘d assume the service was a hoax.

8. Pedro Johnston\ Jun 22, 2020

Alright guys thank you for your replies. I'll get it open and post the results here so that someone can confirm the claimed service!. It feels fantastic to wind though!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 22, 2020

Be aware that if you open it you could have difficulty in returning it.

Pedro Johnston\ likes this.
  10. Dan S Jun 22, 2020

I agree that the damage around the markers is not so attractive, but it is probably not very noticeable to the naked eye. The crown is apparently not correct and I imagine that the buckle is aftermarket. Still, you can't get too many serviced vintage Omegas for that price, so if the watch really received a full service (complete disassembly, clean, oil, adjust), then I think the price is fair.

The pre-purchase advice that I would have given you is to spend a little more for a watch that you love. I was sad to read that you don't like the look of the aging around the markers. Generally, when I don't like something about a dial, I just notice it more and more over time, and I end up selling the watch.

Pedro Johnston\ and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. amcclell Jun 22, 2020

No one will be able to confirm that it has or hasn't been serviced through photos. Unless the seller has a bonafide receipt to validate the claim, I would take it with a grain of salt and price accordingly.

Edward53 likes this.
  12. amcclell Jun 22, 2020

Is the case referenced above from 1959-1960? The movement and dial look like they belong but maybe it is just the polishing that makes it look older.

13. MtV Jun 22, 2020

According to the movement serial 19xxxx, it should be from 1962 - the 14757 was build from 1960 and the caliber 600 should be correct, so that seems legit, I guess. But I do agree that it looks older.

14. Pedro Johnston\ Jun 22, 2020

That is very sound advice! But honestly, I do like the watch very much, I have smaller wrists so the size feels amazing, and to think it's an actual omega with an actual omega caliber from 1960 just adds to the class and enjoyment. The patina is just a minor detail really, I'll see how we get on in the coming week. I wouldn't be willing to spend 200 more on a dial with minor or a better looking patina anyway.

It seems that the servicing is the main point people are bringing up, and I hadn't given it much thought to be honest. A friend of a friend is a watchmaker so I might have him confirm this for me within the return window...

Besides all that this will be exclusively a dress watch. My work isn't formal so I'm looking at using it a haldful of times in a year, same as my suit! So even one servicing would go a long way for me, if the watch is accurate enough.

lindo and MtV like this.
  15. Albe100 Jun 22, 2020

I'll second this one. It's happened to me in the past. The movement was serviced, even had a warranty and the service provider was willing to take it back and service it again. However before doing so I took it to my local watchmaker, and after looking at it, he said the watch was serviced, however very poorly. Needless to say, I didn't send it back and had it serviced by my own guy. Worth taking it to a local reputable watchmaker just to have a look at it and tell you if the service was done properly if at all.

16. Dan S Jun 22, 2020

People are bringing up the service because the cost of a service is a substantial part of the value of this watch.

Pedro Johnston\ and JwRosenthal like this.
  17. Pedro Johnston\ Jun 22, 2020

Of course, and i realize this, and it was one of the primary deciding factors for this purchase, as i have heard full services can cost in the upper 200's. What i didn't really think about was how easy of a lie that is on the seller's part. I just assumed it to be true, due to his ratings, knowledge and return policy. So I guess that was naive on my part, but then again, i can still return this upon confirmation!

18. Canuck Jun 22, 2020

“Serviced poorly” equates to “wishy washy “, or not serviced. If you keep it, have it serviced.

19. Pedro Johnston\ Jun 24, 2020

I Just want to give a follow up if just for future reading!

So that friend of my friend opened it, and although he can't tell for sure without taking out the something something bridge out, for what he can see the movement appears to have been cleaned and lubricated. Besides that, he mentioned that the amplitude of the doodlething looked healthy and the watch is losing about 6 seconds per day, which is pretty good! This whole inspection took like 2 minutes but everything looked fine.

I have been wearing it every day since i got it, to maximise the chance of exposing anything wrong with it before the return window ends, and i really like it. It's so comfortable, that i want to wear it as a daily! But i rekon the watch is much too fragile to risk that...

Anyway, and as Canuck mentioned above, even if this isn't a particularly special Omega, i really like it, for it's textured dial, and the symmetry of the applied hour markers, it's really great minimalism, very classy!. I'll leave the more collectable Omegas to you boys, and i'll be happy for just having a nice little dress watch. To be honest, in this price range, i can't think of many better options for new watches anyway, given i already own the now ubiquitous seiko SARB033 (which now looks positively gigantic, and is my "shirt-and-jeans" watch, on a strap). And between this and, say, a Tissot, even though Tissot is nice, there is just something special about the heritage and prestige of Omega. That logo really does feel special. I'm also getting kind of Zen with the patina. I never owned a vintage before, and i'm starting to enjoy the uniqueness that each patina lends to the watch. Mine has this particular pattern. It's my pattern now!

Anyway thank you so much for your replies, amazing forum! I'll definitely be lurking!

20. Dan S Jun 24, 2020

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. The only issue I see as a daily wear watch would be the lack of water-resistance. Otherwise I don't see an issue; it's not "fragile".

Pedro Johnston\ likes this.