Forums Latest Members
  1. fzhu052 Sep 23, 2016

The crown seems wrong but I guess it is an easy fix. Question is on the dial, especially 6 o'clock hour mark does not perfectly align with the cross hair end. What do you think? Thanks a lot! Frank

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 23, 2016

My best guess is that the dial has had markers removed, been cleaned re-printed and the markers replaced. There are even bits of brass/gold on the dial.

3. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 23, 2016

Looks like a redial to me. The cross hairs should go through the hour markers. Do they? Hard to tell from photo

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 23, 2016

Hmmm not sure about this one
    The cross hair doesn't bisect the star and appears to be 'off' on the 6 marker but the font looks good to me
    It's an early snap back
    Seen a number of examples where they just miss the Y in MOY like this one
    Not sure if the crown is correct but probably should be a fat crown
    Edit
    Hands need consideration
    Indices have space for (radium?) lume and the seconds sweep is too long

5. Kja Sep 24, 2016

Actually I'm the seller of this watch! Second hand is correct, they are all a little longer on the early ones, and I know it's not a redial because how perfect the print is and there is perfect facets, every redial I have ever seen had had slightly rolled edges and these are sharp from factory. Not sure about markers being redone.... It is an American market one, maybe that? I believe buyer is going to watchmaker on Monday so we will find out.

6. Kja Sep 24, 2016

I also offered buyer a cloverleaf crown if he wants.

7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 24, 2016

Cross hairs could have been added later to increase (decrease?) value.

8. Kja Sep 24, 2016

Just noticed the 3 is not perfect either.. I'm curious.. I never thought about it when I had it. If something is wrong I will take care of buyer obviously.

al128 likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 24, 2016

Don't think so. Dial looks like original Omega to me. It is possible that some cosmetic work was done at one time (fix markers, maybe cleaning), but I do think printing is original.

Hands look a little funny to me. They look like the proper style but are a bit too long for that particular dial. Omega had several different dial styles and hand lengths. This one looks like someone put a good dial with incorrect length hands. Seconds hands were sometimes sold at a standard length and then trimmed by watchmaker.

I think the crown is a correct factory replacement with a tube that is too long, unless these pictures were deliberately taken with crown in the hand setting position.

Overall, this looks like a collector's watch that was restored years ago. Whoever did the work was careful enough to get Omega parts, but was not so careful to get the correct Omega parts for that particular model.

Still a good looking package overall, given the state of most 1950's Constellations out there.
    gatorcpa

10. Kja Sep 24, 2016

I think I gave a good deal.. A swidge over $550.. I feel I practically gave it away.

11. Kja Sep 24, 2016

Here are two examples with the same length second hand, I really believe it is original and some where just longer for whatever reason..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 24, 2016

I think you did also.
    gatorcpa

13. Kja Sep 24, 2016

I wish I could have sold it here but I don't have the post count.. Man I HATE selling on eBay.. Never again.. One guy made me pay for him to return it because it had a scratch on the dial! I didn't even try to fight it because I really need the money.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 24, 2016

You do now. You should be automically free to post a for sale ad as you are over 200 posts.

Let the mods know if it isn't working for you.
    gatorcpa

15. Kja Sep 24, 2016

Oh great! thanks!

16. fzhu052 Sep 24, 2016

Thanks all and nice to meet you here @Kja!

The crown is not in hand setting position. It just sticks out so my original thought is that it is a wrong crown.

[​IMG]

@Kja, hope you don't mind I share the eBay listing. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201672340095Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. Kja Sep 24, 2016

No not at all.. I'm curious too. I will send the cloverleaf one I know fits?

18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 25, 2016

thats the good thing about doing business here!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

19. fzhu052 Oct 6, 2016

Turned out the stem is wrong size. Watchmaker did some work and now the crown looks right.
    [​IMG]