Forums Latest Members

Bought, then sold, then...

1. Watchguy31-us May 28, 2014

So I normally give a new arrival 90 days then come up with a decision to keep it or sell it.

So far, that has left me with a Rolex Explorer II, an Aqua Terra, a Connie C, and a JLC RMD (which isn't going to make the cut and is on the selling block).

Do any of you ever have "sellers remorse"? I really regret flipping my Speedy. At the time, I made the decision that it wasn't for me...but now regret it.

Have you ever bought the same kind of watch back? And if so, did you just end up selling it again?

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 28, 2014

I bought and sold this model twice. No regrets the second time!

[​IMG]

alam, gatorcpa, timeismoney and 2 others like this.
  3. ulackfocus May 28, 2014

That's longer than me sometimes. :p

Do you mean RdM as in Reserve de Marche? If so, shoot me a PM with some pics. Thanks!

Yep, usually until I get the model I was replacing the flipped watch with. I'm trying to upgrade my collection as I go. For instance, I flipped a Tiffany's Mark Coupe for a Blancpain Villeret which then got sold for an Audemars Piguet ultra-thin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are other examples, like the Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece that was sold to partially fund the VC Malte Grande.

The first one that comes to mind is the Omega Centenary reference 2500.

The first one:

[​IMG]

The current one:

[​IMG]

Bought, sold, then rebought a Benrus Pointer Date too, along with a few others.

Technically, I also sold a blue dialed Aqua Terra and then bought a blue dialed Aqua Terra a few years later - although the old one was a caliber 2500 and the new one is a caliber 8500.

Another twist is the upgrade on condition I did on a 1961 Flagship date-at-12 caliber 341. I went from a really nice specimen….

[​IMG]

…. to a near mint one.

[​IMG]

Nope, learned my lesson with that particular watch, although pie pan Constellations seem to come & go annually or faster. Used to have a thing for date-at-6 waffle dialed Seamasters too.

ELV web likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 28, 2014

Sweet! Tell me about this one.

5. Watchguy31-us May 29, 2014

Well, it appears it isn't uncommon!

I think I'll get a moonwatch with a sapphire crystal. My complaint was that I kept scratching the crystal and hexalite (even though it's true to the MW) has been outdated.

I would assume a good rule is that if you sell a watch a SECOND time, it isn't for you ;)

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 29, 2014

Very pretty watch, but it fails on one of my more esoteric criterion. It lacks substance, by which I mean in this case, weight, or heft. It simply strikes me as being too light for its size, and while it may not be fair to judge quality on that basis, I do prefer more substantial watches. The irony, I suppose, is that I have small wrists, and don't wear watches larger than 37mm. But substance is independent of size.

7. ulackfocus May 29, 2014

Well if you run into one again let me know. I like light, thin watches.

UncleBuck likes this.
  8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 29, 2014

Bought, lent to Dennis, broken by Dennis, serviced, sold and finally traded back to me today. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long71 likes this.
  9. ulackfocus May 29, 2014

Yes ( :oops: ), but I paid to repair it!

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 29, 2014

I know, was just kidding. :D I owe you one!

11. ulackfocus May 30, 2014

Nah, you don't owe me anything. It was my clumsiness.

To let the rest of you in on what happened, Kyle sent me the watch so I could check it out and shoot macros of the dial since it was such a good example of the crazing on black Omega dials from the 50's. While popping the case back off, the crown broke off because of a rusty stem. :confused: I shot Kyle a text (or a call, I don't remember) and told him I'd have Steve take care of it and service it.

Moral of the story: don't send ulackfocus old watches to open up.

..... or do send them if you know something is fragile so he breaks it - you'll get a free service and a new part out of it! ;)

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2014

..... don't let jamokes play with watches

13. ulackfocus May 30, 2014

Fuhgeddaboudit!

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2014

I don't sell unless I really have to, as in usually when I bought a new watch on a CC and need to make the bill go away in a reasonable timeframe, but its happened 3-4 times. Never regretted as it only ever happens on a big upgrade or really special piece.

15. Watchguy31-us Jun 8, 2014

Dsio,

I hear you on the CC. Any time I've done that...when I get ready to pay the bill, the thought "OR, I could just sell some watches I don't use" sneaks into my mind.