Forums Latest Members
  1. Nova1978 Jan 12, 2014

TexasKevin and pitpro like this.
  2. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 12, 2014

Congrats!
    To me service depends on if you are going to wear it regularly,
    or are just collecting(hoarding)
    If not wearing it, and it's working ok, not necessary imho.

3. Nova1978 Jan 12, 2014

Thanks. I am definitely will wear it half he time

4. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 12, 2014

There you got your first "like"
    ....But you gotta learn how to post the pics inline;)

JohnSteed and Nova1978 like this.
  5. Nova1978 Jan 12, 2014

Haha thanks . ya I jus copy and paste instead of upload. Not my pics either sellers

6. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2014

:thumbsup:

We'll make a regular out of you yet.

7. Nova1978 Jan 12, 2014

that would be bad...I will be poor. Thx for your help

8. Interstatetime Jan 12, 2014

The case looks un-polished. My advise would be to polish the crystal but never...ever polish the case at all. If you polish the case it will never be un-polished again....But that is just my advise and it is your watch.

JohnCote

9. Nova1978 Jan 12, 2014

Oh ...what's unpolished? Does it take away the vintage look? Or just ruined it?

10. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 12, 2014

42 posts already. He will be.

11. Interstatetime Jan 12, 2014

Nova,

Without very specialized equipment and a lot of skill it is impossible to restore a factory finish to a watch case. Even Omega service can screw it up. In my opinion if a watch has very much of its original factory finish left it is sort of a crime to "re-finish" it. It is especially a crime to simply buff off the scratches. Lots of people can't stand scratches and just have to re-finish but it almost always subtracts value...and as I said, once you remove the original finish you will never have it again...ever. Cleaning the case and polishing the plastic crystal is fine. Again, this is simply my mad prejudice. I think a lot of collectors share it...but it is your watch.

JohnC

MMMD likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Jan 12, 2014

Let me weigh in with a balanced opinion. What JohnC said above is pretty much dead on - hard core collectors want completely original pieces. Once original is gone, be it the paint on the dial or the factory edges on the case & lugs, you can't get it back again.

However, there's a flip side to this coin. The Genève you bought is a great watch to test out what you like. Wear it for a while and see if you like what's known as wabi-sabi because you might enjoy it. If not, have a watchmaker who's sympathetic to vintage restore it without butchering the case so it retains a large percentage of it's original facets and crispness, but looks much newer. While that is one of the last nice Genèves made, it's not like it's an 18ct Constellation DeLuxe worth thousands so you have room to learn without killing a true collector's piece.

Many of us have an early Genève automatics. They make a great daily driver (i.e.: you wear it often under normal use) and are very attractive watches. I'd say it's one step past a starter vintage Omega. Somebody who knew a thing or two must have helped you vet that. :whistling:

Interstatetime and John R Smith like this.
  13. Tritium Jan 13, 2014

Very nice Geneve. I like it as is, and wouldn´t polish the case.
    Try to upload a nice wristshot and you´ll have your second like;)

14. Interstatetime Jan 13, 2014

Well said...I wanted to say that but couldn't figure out how to do it as tactfully as you did. I am not nearly as much a purist as some people I know. One thing I have learned over my 35+ years of collecting is simply to be conscious of the effect of any "fixing" I do...or perhaps more importantly, what I let someone else do. When you send a watch to a watchmaker make sure you send it with specific instructions. Most people who send watches to be fixed are not collectors and most watchmakers believe that customers will want watches polished. If you don't know your watchmaker well put "no polish" instructions in writing.

JohnCote

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 13, 2014

Enablers in motion......

16. Nova1978 Jan 13, 2014

Very true. This will my official first Omega, but who knows...i might get another

Thanks whoever been helping me.

17. Habitant Jan 13, 2014

Hmmm. Just a guess, but I reckon you'll be back...

18. Nova1978 Jan 20, 2014

[​IMG]

So I got watch from Tony C. I swapped the omega ss band with $8 band from amazon and polished the crystal. What you guys think?

Dablitzer, Northernman, Gavin and 6 others like this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 20, 2014

I'm no watchband snob, but an $8 watchband for a nice watch like that?

Really?::confused2::
    gatorcpa

20. ulackfocus Jan 20, 2014

I think you got a great watch - but you know that already from our PM chat. ;)