Forums Latest Members

Bought a vintage Longines with a cool racing related story

1. emilio Dec 11, 2015

I recently came across a nice Longines and really liked the look of it.

dial.jpg
    Made a few pictures of it when I received it and contacted a few fellow watch enthusiast. One of the other watch enthusiasts decided to dive deeper into the engravings on the back and found out that this watch really has an interesting story to it.

As can be seen in the pictures the watch engravings tell that the watch was given to a certain W.V. Arnold by A.W. Fox probably in 1953. According to the internet the movement serial number also dates the watch to 1953.

Engraving.jpg

At first we were thinking this was kind of a friendship watch given to W.V. Arnold to celebrate their friendship. When diving deeper into both names we found out that the giver is the once famous racing driver Arthur Wingrave Fox more commonly known as Arthur Fox. (Source: motorsport magazine archive)

Arthur Fox is mainly known as being owner of the Fox and Nicholl racing team racing mainly Talbots and Lagonda’s pre war. The team entered the 24 hours of Le Mans from 1929 until 1937. They even won Le Mans in 1935 with a Lagonda which can be seen in the Louwman Museum in The Hague (the Netherlands) [​IMG]

The folllowing picture shows Arthur Fox his international traveling pass which was probably used for the 1929 24 hours of Le Mans. (source: Aston Service Dorset).

[​IMG]
    An other picture of Arthur Fox I found trough ebay which looks more like a cartoon/caricature:

[​IMG]
    Now you guys are probably dying to find out who the receiver was. It turned out that W.V. Arnold worked for Arthur Fox from 1911 till 1955 according to an article I found in the archive of the motorsport magazine.

Now the engraving talks about 1911-1953 so there are two options. One being that the source is wrong considering the working years and the other is that after his official retirement he still worked two years for mister Fox. One thing is sure and that is that mister Arnold worked on the Le Mans winning Lagonda in 1935!

band.jpg schuin_links.jpg schuin_rechts.jpg

2. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Dec 11, 2015

Cool! Its fascinating the stories that we come across. Thanks for sharing

emilio likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 11, 2015

Excellent story and post! Thanks much!

emilio likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2015

Great post, what could be better than a watch with a motorsport connection!

cvalue13 and emilio like this.
  5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 11, 2015

I believe one of our Forum Members owns a Steve McQueen Bullitt watch. It's a Benrus Series #3061 black dial. This is what he wore in the movie Bullitt with what's considered the greatest chase seen ever!

What the hell, if Steve McQueen wore one, it's good to be cool ;)

6. emilio Dec 12, 2015

Ok it is not worn by Steve McQueen...

However you don't find a cool story behind a watch engraving often.. Most of the time you don't find anything at all about the engraving..

7. Brench Dec 12, 2015

Cool story and nice watch!

emilio likes this.
  8. cristos71 Dec 12, 2015

Great post with an interesting story Emile.

emilio likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 12, 2015

Very nice find. Interesting story!

emilio likes this.
  10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 12, 2015

If it was worn by Steve McQueen: Who could afford it? None the less it's as I said: It's good to be cool :)

11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 13, 2015

great watch forensics

emilio likes this.
  12. CdnWatchDoc Dec 15, 2015

Fantastic story! This is what makes collecting vintage pieces great fun! Thanks for posting

emilio likes this.
  13. danomar Dec 16, 2015

I love stories about a piece's provenance. Thanks for sharing!

emilio likes this.