Forums Latest Members
  1. Preacherman Apr 19, 2018

Im interesting in picking up some books to help me better identify vintage watches. I know about the Omega-A Journey Through Time, but I can’t pay several hundred dollars for one of those. I’m looking at the 2011 Omega training book, and the American Pocket Watches Encyclopedia and Price Guide. Are these worth picking up? Any others I should look for? I’m not just interested in Omegas but other vintage watches as well. Thanks for any advice that is given.

Buster, Wivac and noelekal like this.
  2. Canuck Apr 19, 2018

I recently referred to the American Pocket Watches-Illinois Watch Co., Encyclopedia and Price Guide, Volume 2, by Bill Meggers & Roy Ehrhardt (the “blue book”) when I replied to your post on your Illinois pocket watch. The ISBN # is 9-913902-3-9. It pertains to Illinois watches, only. A Google search indicates price from $125.00 (used), to $250.00, (new). I consider it to be the definitive volume on Illinois watches. However, I think you might be looking for a reference that covers a much broader range of antique and vintage watches. In other words, breadth rather than depth. I have spent 45 years collecting watches, and books. I have acquired a sizeable library of books. The subject of antique and vintage watches is so huge, that I have only scratched the surface! A good place to start, a book that gives you breadth, but not a lot of depth in any one brand would be the Engel, and Gilbert “bible”, the 2018 issue, of the Complete Price Guide to Watches. It is available from Amazon, or from your favourite book store who may have to order it. As your interest develop, you can get into more specialized volumes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Pric...=1-2&keywords=complete+price+guide+to+watches

3. Preacherman Apr 19, 2018

Thank you Canuck! I found the pocket watch price guide you referred to on eBay used for $10. I’ll look for the other on you mentioned as well.

4. TOTIZ Apr 19, 2018

The Complete Price Guide to Watches is definitely on Amazon. I’ve just looked and ordered it myself :whistling:
    Thanks for the tip @Canuck :thumbsup:

5. Canuck Apr 19, 2018

6. TOTIZ Apr 19, 2018

7. river rat Apr 19, 2018

For military watch collecting I have these.
    A concise guide to Military timepieces by ZW Wesolowski
    Military Timepieces by Whitney
    Military Wristwatches by Michele Galizia
    Zero Hour by William Schorr this is a good one a Mode from MWR put together but hard to find now.
    TM 9-1575 War department tech manual on ordnance maintenance wristwatches, pocket watches, stop watches and clocks dated 6 April 1945 a vintage manual on US military timepieces original copies can still be found cool photo's inside.
    And here is one I have not got yet see link
    http://www.knirim.de/ueberse.htm

shishy and Preacherman like this.
  8. MCC Apr 19, 2018

Yes I bought it but much cheaper than shown here !! It is more a coffee table book than a real detailed watch book but it has a nice description of basic movement functions and some great photographs

superfly likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 19, 2018

A Journey Through Time, Moonwatch Only, Universal Watch Geneve by Pietro Sala, Longines Legendary Watches by John Goldberger.

10. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 20, 2018

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 22, 2018

12. TOTIZ Apr 22, 2018

@MCC I‘ve just found a copy on Amazon Germany for USD 63, so I think I’ll go for it. Thanks for your feedback :thumbsup:

13. Preacherman Apr 22, 2018

Well I won the auction! 9.99 plus S&H, about $25 total for this book.
    Since I’ve been so interested in watches the past few years, my wife suggested I look into attending the Institute of Swiss Watchmaking, up in Dallas. Does anyone have any experience with this school? (Maybe I should start a new thread?)