Forums Latest Members

BMW Feature Subscriptions are here, Heated Seats = $18/month

1. JwRosenthal Jul 14, 2022

I think this is why older BMW owners, like myself and some on this forum are so horrified by all this. We remember when the cars were thoughtfully designed from an engineering perspective- form follows function. They have strayed very far from that.

marco, JayBe, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  2. jaguar11 Jul 14, 2022

You could be right. I guess I was being pessimistic and just assumed it was reference to built in obsolescence.

3. vibe Jul 14, 2022

Wasn't BMW charging a fee for Carplay also? So many annoying things about BMW interiors. I'm a volvo man

4. johnireland Jul 14, 2022

The concept of "ownership" died with the impact of inflation and car leasing. Ownership signified an investment in an object with lasting value and use. These days nobody "invests" in a car...and rarely even services them. The majority of all Porsche's are leased, and turned in for new models as the lease ends. The over capacity of production in the car industry is forcing them to get as much turnover as possible, while reducing cost and maximizing profit. Making optional equipment available through software upgrades means they only have to make one model, and they can charge a monthly fee for the options. Microsoft, Adobe, etc., are all part of this trend. Modern home construction is trending toward smaller kitchens as people order prepared meals delivered to them. For cars, "self driving" will be another software upgrade/option feature that you will be able to order on-line as needed or desired, even on a daily or weekly basis. The car's computers will be reprogrammed by satellite. And sooner than later...it will all be purely rental and short term subscription. A transportation pod will arrive at your home, take you to your destination, then disappear. Another pod will arrive (on demand) when you want to go home, or somewhere else.

jaguar11 and gatorcpa like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jul 14, 2022

I know many people to whom this would sound wonderful. When zipcar started up around the DC area, I had at least a dozen co-workers who sold their cars. To them, a car was a liability and horrible way to commute to work in heavy traffic- not to mention parking, insurance, maintenance…I get it.
    I am lucky enough that my 6 mile commute to the train is actually fun with lots of twisties, chute-like on-ramps and high speed sprint runs (at least I see then that way). If I had to do the 50 mile slog to work everyday by car- I would want out too.
    For me a car also means freedom. Growing up in Los Angeles, it meant I didn’t have to rely on the horrible public transit or my friends/family giving me rides. It was a passport to self exploration.
    I still see my car(s) that way. My wife and I take mini “adventures” every other weekend and drive into the hinterland to explore all the back-country or small towns there are to see. I digress, but I love my car(s), but I may be in the minority.

marco and noelekal like this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 14, 2022

I value my independence, want control, and want to own, be it vehicles, homes, or my music and books. No leasing, rentals, Kindle, music streaming, subscription TV or other relinquishing of personal control is required here.

Next thing you know, Omega will be leasing Speedmasters for $90 per month for time only, $115 per month if you want operational chronograph pushers.

marco, JimInOz, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  7. mrbreen Jul 14, 2022

I beg to differ as I literally just changed a fan clutch on my e30. Btw, if anyone needs this specialty wrench set and you live in southern Wisconsin, you’re welcome to borrow it ;)
    BEFFBFD4-D666-47A1-98B4-D425E0780BAF.jpeg

marco, josiahg52, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 14, 2022

Those were produced from 1982 to 1994, so apples and oranges. Good luck self-servicing current production models!

9. JwRosenthal Jul 14, 2022

Cardinal and Schwartz- lovely combination

mrbreen and vbrad26 like this.
  10. wsfarrell Jul 14, 2022

I almost thought this was a joke. It's not. A subscription to running shoes for $29.99 a month. From the Wall Street Journal:

"To make a shoe that can be ground up, melted down and reincarnated as another shoe, Swiss sportswear brand On didn’t just need new materials and manufacturing processes. It designed a new sales model. In June, On began shipping the first 10,000 pairs of its latest model, starting with U.S. customers. The Cloudneo is pitched as “the shoe you will never own.” Instead, runners pay $29.99 a month for an endless supply, provided they return worn-out pairs to be recycled."

As the Professor says on Futurama,

futurama_professor.jpg

11. mrbreen Jul 14, 2022

Oh I entirely agree. I was just having a bit of fun. :)

Tony C. likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2022

I
    i heard my name?

noelekal and wsfarrell like this.
  13. wsfarrell Jul 14, 2022

"Oh, no room for Bender, huh? Fine! I’ll go build my own lunar lander, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the lunar lander and the blackjack."
    --Bender Bending Rodriguez

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Pvt-Public Jul 15, 2022

Oooooh, shiny !!

15. speedb Jul 17, 2022

"You'll own nothing, and you'll be happy."

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 17, 2022

Haven’t owned a car since 1989 and I’m very happy. Only leases.
    gatorcpa

17. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 19, 2022

18. jaguar11 Jul 20, 2022

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2022

Probably depends on the country, many like mine have pretty strict rules preventing them from wriggling out of warranty claims with fine print.

20. Pvt-Public Jul 20, 2022

In the USA I think you can get a B.A. and M.A. degree in “ warranty wriggling” it’s considered an art form.::yawn::::screwloose::
    I don’t think there is a doctoral program yet as that might lend it too much legitimacy.

kkt and noelekal like this.