Forums Latest Members

Blue: AT 2503 and Rolex 116234 DJ

1. rgito Aug 28, 2017

List,

I have been looking for my first "luxury watch" for my 50th b-day/25th anniversary. I am drawn towards the 2503.33 (white with blue markers), but have never seen or been able to try one on to be sure that is is "the one."

Recently, however, I was traveling in another city and walked into a Rolex dealer on a whim. The saleslady and I struck up a conversation and she brought out new "old stock" Rolex 116234 datejust with the blue dial and stick markers. It had the most beautiful blue dial I have ever seen. I put it on and found I almost could not take my eyes off it. The shop has had it for some time and wants to sell, so she was will to give me 25% off. This makes the price for a brand new watch at around $5k.

I know that Omega made the 2500 AT in a blue dial/silver hands version, but I have likewise only see pictures of it. Likewise it has not been made in awhile, so any one of these I find is going to be used and (may) need service.

Question: Does anyone have experience with the 2503.80 blue version that can help me compare it to the Rolex 116234?

I really like the 2500 AT dial design...but that Rolex is giving me serious second thoughts. Thanks for your help and advice.

Rolex_blue.jpg
    RMA and davidswiss like this.
  2. gostang9 Aug 28, 2017

I cannot give you any info as to the 2500 AT, but I can say I think you'd be very happy with that DJ! It's stunning and a very classy elegant watch. Sounds like it really caught your attention too so I wouldn't overthink it too much and go with your gut instinct. Every watch I own was bought because the watch held a special charm for me and I haven't regretted any of them.

3. Jking something intelligent and witty... Aug 28, 2017

I love my 2503.80! I wears well and I have the 2500c (2009) and it still keeps excellent time within COSG specs. I can't recommend it enough. And with the price difference you can get another watch!! Here are some of my pics:

IMG_4347.JPG IMG_4522.JPG IMG_4634.JPG

davidswiss likes this.
  4. Jking something intelligent and witty... Aug 28, 2017

A few more on the bracelet and brown leather strap:

IMG_2792.JPG CCE4AF52-70A2-4F1C-B8C1-00FD2ABBEB8C-36341-00001C87A71C6A45.jpeg IMG_4156.JPG

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 29, 2017

I have the dj41 white and the AT master c blue. Love them both.

Normally not a fan of fluted bezels but I do like the proportions of the new DJ

IMG_1460.JPG IMG_2290.JPG
  6. rgito Aug 30, 2017

Thanks everyone for your replies.

That .80 blue is stunning as well. From the pics it appears more towards the black-blue side of things rather than a true blue color. I did get a chance to try on a lst gen Skyfall and that blue is gorgeous as well. To me the Rolex has more "pop", perhaps due to the white gold bezel and the flash it creates. I am not really looking for flash, however. Hmm. I finally will have a chance to check out a 2503.33 (XL) here in a few weeks. Hopefully seeing it will help me make up my mind. Tough decision all around.

7. jfmiii Aug 31, 2017

The Rolex.

Nobody makes a sunburst blue dial like Rolex. If I could just get myself into wearing TT watches, Id have a 16613 in the stable.

Seems like a pretty decent deal taboot.

8. hchj Aug 31, 2017

I'd buy the DJ

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 31, 2017

I love both and have both.... but I can't quite commit to the fluted bezel yet, maybe I will one day.

Edited Sep 1, 2017
  10. rgito Sep 1, 2017

I tried on the new DJ41 that has the plain bezel and I was completely underwhelmed. The new larger diameter and the plain ring looked like (my opinion) a pie pan on my wrist. I agree the flutes make it more of an "old man" type of watch to many...I sort of feel that way too ( I am in my late 30s). Even so if one considers this piece to be more of a dress watch it really works. The incredible blue with the little "flash" that the flutes add is a very beautiful combination. I did not think so from pictures, but when I tried it on I was amazed.

I am hoping the 2503.33 I have a chance to view in a week or so is still available. A jewelers shop in the town I am visiting has one. I have always liked it from the photos I have seen.