Forums Latest Members

Blessing or curse? - Sales restrictions

1. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 19, 2016

I can't decide if I should be upset that a certain watch I was ready to pull the trigger on won't be mine because the seller insists on EU only (I'm in the US), or if I should be grateful that the seller is saving me from spending even more $$ on this hobby? (or at least delaying me spending it on the inevitable next watch ::facepalm2::)

I can't be mad at the seller either as I'm as guilty as anyone - I usually put "USA only" in my FS listings, though I can usually be talked into it if the buyer asks nicely and is someone I trust. (I tried the ask nicely route in this case and was still told no.)

I've also encountered a similar situation as a buyer when certain sellers insist on wire transfer. A few years back I moved to an online bank that yields good interest rates for both checking and savings, but one of the trade-offs is the fact that my accounts simply don't allow outbound wires as a feature.

I'm bummed about the watch in question, but I try to think of it as money saved. I'm curious how others look at this? I suspect folks across the pond run into the USA-only restriction relatively often and have a less-optimistic view than I do. What other limiting factors have you run into?

2. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2016

Remember that there is always another watch of the exact same model, sometimes in better condition, coming along soon.

It took me years and hundreds of $$$ to learn this.

sarir97, dragoman, danomar and 5 others like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2016

As an Australian I get this a lot, you see a watch you want and its CONUS only, most of the time the seller has seen Crocodile Dundee and likes Australians but occasionally you get someone that probably thinks we were part of the Warsaw Pact or are located in the mountains between Switzerland and Germany and decline.

Most of the time its that the seller does not want to ship to certain countries that are known for scamming, or quite unfortunately for the locals, Italy due to its world famous postal service's reputation for thievery (I feel genuinely sorry for the huge number prolific watch collectors in Italy that both have to deal with that postal service, and the stigma its created for their country among international sellers).

So CONUS is sort of short hand for "I don't want to get ripped off, so I don't want to take chances with buyers from country X, Y, Z etc" without having to be so verbose about it.

4. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 19, 2016

True, but speaking for myself only there's also an element of pure laziness - a USA buyer requires less time/paperwork at the post office. So it's also shorthand for "there are so many potential buyers in the US I'll try to get one of those to save 10 minutes". I do feel some guilt about this so perhaps the next time I sell a watch I'll change the wording to "International sales considered on a case by case basis". That should leave me some wiggle room to avoid scam countries without putting together some exhaustive list of acceptable/ non-acceptable locations.

Lou P, wsfarrell and Impondering like this.
  5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 19, 2016

If it only cost you hundreds you're probably getting off cheap in this hobby!

Garv, Lou P and Impondering like this.
  6. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2016

I had VERY good mentors. One of them keeps a website on Constellations that's mandatory reading. ;)

ahartfie and Andy K like this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 19, 2016

True, but also please understand that a lot of times, the people at the post office have no clue on how to fill out the customs paperwork. You just have to hope you know what you're doing.
    gatorcpa

Andy K likes this.
  8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Feb 19, 2016

tell me about it ... living in south america ... I sometimes really wonder how I manage to sell watches internationally AT ALL :rolleyes: ... I think it helps to not have been born/raised there, and I still have my northern hemisphere ethics :coffee: - but its def. tough cookies (buying and selling)

I guess thats what you get for living ANUS ORBIS.

:whipped:

Syrte likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Feb 20, 2016

You could also try to message an European on here if he could do the transaction... I'd be more than happy to :)

Reg. sales limitations, I have more than a couple of times stumbled on listings where the seller refused to sell outside of the UK. Not even the European Union! Are Scandinavians that untrustworthy? ::confused2::

Andy K likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 20, 2016

Would you trust somebody who looks like this?

CEP.JPG

The truth now.......

:D

11. lillatroll Feb 20, 2016

Its because of all that rape and pilage you were doing back in the day, history is catching up with you.:cautious:

al128 likes this.
  12. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Feb 20, 2016

I think you'll be okay, just be patient! I'm new to this game and super itchy to buy a watch, but a good friend told me to do homework and NOT buy a watch for a few months. I'm glad I listened to him, because I've recently discovered other watches that I'm arguably more fond of. So now, it's time to do more research!

al128 likes this.
  13. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 20, 2016

I don't disagree at all, that is sound advice. But...I've been researching this particular watch/variant since 2014, and as far as I can tell it is the only third one in any condition to hit the market in over a year. The other two consisted of one parts watch and another that was priced $2000 higher than the one I'm interested in and in worse shape!

14. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 20, 2016

That is really kind of you to offer! I may take you up on that! :thumbsup: PM coming shortly with details. I honestly don't want to inconvenience you though so feel free to say no upon second thought.

15. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 20, 2016

I'm not one to judge based on outward appearances!

Andy K circa 4th grade:
    1218845764.jpg

Syrte, Garv, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 20, 2016

OMG, that tie is as big as you! :eek:

But you were definitely in with the fashion of the times...

...was that the late '20's? :D

Andy K likes this.
  17. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Feb 20, 2016

I'm really sorry - I just couldn't resist........::bleh::

dougiedude and Andy K like this.
  18. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 20, 2016

Haha! Not really me, nor am I a ginger, I just found that pic on http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/. Whoever that kid is though he's got style!

19. Hijak Feb 20, 2016

Nice Andy!!:thumbsup: Stylin":cool:

Andy K likes this.
  20. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 20, 2016

Future used car salesman.

Andy K likes this.