Forums Latest Members

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Wrist Shots and Do/Did you like owning it?

1. Lovemy8541 Feb 15, 2021

I believe I've decided the Fifty Fathoms is my next watch before getting a dedicated dress watch like a Reverso or Patek 5227R. I've always been more of a mid-fi watch guy in terms of price and brand (Omega, Longines, Tudor, Breitling), but It's time for me to move up. Just wondering how many happy owners there are. Who's purchased and liquidated and why. Any good wrist shots or lume shots. Just gathering as much data as I can at this point. Thickness doesn't bother me as I've owned a Breitling Steelfish X Plus. 45mm is large, in theory, for my wrist (Little over 6 1/2", oval), but everyone says it wears smaller than it is. I have no dealer close to me, but will eventually get a chance to try it on for size.

Just wanting more input than I've found to date.

Thanks!

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 15, 2021

Do it. I actually sold this 5+ years ago. It's one awesome watch. IMG_20150604_100637.jpg

Eve and Lovemy8541 like this.
  3. Lovemy8541 Feb 15, 2021

I do like the blue also. A friend of mine went to a boutique a few weeks ago and tried on the blue chronograph (Chronographe Flyback Quantième Complet) and said it was stunning in person.

4. stormshadow Feb 15, 2021

I love the 45mm FF. I had a 5015 (polished stainless, black dial) and I sold it only because I have a 5050 (Titanium Grande Date) and I prefer the matte look. The bigger date (dual disk functionality) looks nice as well. I like the sailcloth strap it comes with, but I also enjoy the rubber diver one as well.
    Great watch and it doesn't nearly wear as large as some people think a 45mm watch should. If I remember correctly, my 5015 was in the 15.5mm range for thickness, and my current Grande Date is less than a mm thicker (low 16mm range).
    The bezel, aesthetically and functionally are top notch, in my opinion.

This watch complements my BP Leman Flyback Split Second very well.

Edited Feb 15, 2021
    Lovemy8541 likes this.
  5. Flatfoot Feb 15, 2021

I've had mine for 2 1/2 years, purchased BNIB from Topper. It is a favorite in the rotation for me. I have a 7 1/2" wrist and never have had any sense of it being too big for me. I especially like the symmetry of the dial with its Hour numbers, provided by the floating date between the 4 and 5 hour indices.

That floating date window location apparently drives some potential buyers crazy- at least as evidenced by the number of rants that I've read. But I find it an unobtrusive and an elegant way to maintain the symmetry of the dial with those four large arabic numbers while keeping a date window. The black background of the date wheel further minimizes the distraction to my eye. But, "To each - his own" as they say.

Mine is still running very accurately, about +1 or +2 SPD. The sapphire bezel is just plain cool, and tough as nails. The sailcloth strap wears well. I have the deployant clasp instead of the buckle, and found that to be very robust and rather kind to the strap material itself. The absence of a strap length quick adjustment is noted, but has not cause me any issues. Mine isn't going anywhere but on my wrist... Highly recommended.

BP FF.jpg

Alfista88, Lovemy8541 and stormshadow like this.
  6. sleepyastronaut Feb 15, 2021

I don't yet own a Blancpain, but I'm a big fan of the FF Grande Date and the Bathyscaphe Hodinkee LE

5050-12b30-52_front_copie.png

5100-1130-hodinkee_0.png

Wetworks and Lovemy8541 like this.
  7. Lovemy8541 Feb 16, 2021

Thanks for the detail and image!

8. Lovemy8541 Feb 16, 2021

That Hodinkee Bathyscaphe looks much better than the standard version to me. I hadn't seen that one.

sleepyastronaut likes this.