Forums Latest Members
  1. Maximus84 Feb 23, 2017

So, I have a Black tie event this Friday. I'd normally wear my vintage Constellation on black alligator however it needs a service and is non-functional at this time. I'm down to a Polar Rolex 16570 or the Speedy Pro. The Speedy is currently on a tan Hirsch strap - I also have a black Di Modell Rallye and of course the bracelet. Which would you choose? I keep wavering between the clean dial of the Rolex with the classic elegance and black dial with the the Speedy (although with what strap? Not the brown and the black is too sporty?)

Edited Feb 23, 2017
  2. ptrkim23 Feb 23, 2017

The rolex 16570 but the polar dial might be a little overwhelming with your tux. However, that being said it would stand out more if that's what you're aiming for.

Why not just put the bracelet on the speedy? Not quite a speedy pro but you get the idea ;)
    [​IMG]

3. Maximus84 Feb 23, 2017

Ha, If only I had the class and gravitas of Daniel Craig! The 16570 would be great but I'm thinking the white dial is a little much. Putting the Speedy back on the bracelet is an option, though the dial is busy (if beautifully proportioned).

4. ptrkim23 Feb 23, 2017

You could always pick up a black leather strap for the speedy, it'll tone down the busy dial a bit. Three words. Amazon prime shipping.

5. SeanO Feb 23, 2017

you don't have a standard 3 hander to wear?

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 23, 2017

Cheap black alligator style 20mm from any cheap battery replacement watch store on the speedy?

White dial is wrong it's too sporty for a tux.

Or non functional Connie... no one will read it.assuming it's not an auto.

7. micampe Feb 23, 2017

I would wear the non working Connie and tell everyone “oh this? Oh no, I don't wear it to tell the time, I wear it because it's the one the people from the internet recommended”.

lando, Nitzbar, quito and 9 others like this.
  8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 23, 2017

Fix the Constellation so this need not happen.

oddboy and Maximus84 like this.
  9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 23, 2017

Why do you need to wear a watch? ::confused2::

But if you must.... no one else will care or notice anyway, so please youself with the selection.

Retsamaes, kov, alam and 6 others like this.
  10. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 23, 2017

This is a classic dilemma with only one logical solution. You need to go buy a new watch!

jimmyd13, RJwatches, repoman and 4 others like this.
  11. JeroenS Feb 23, 2017

Oh my god.... My first post on this forum and I'm profiling myself as a grumpy old man. Please forgive me. Just call me an old fashioned Omega lover :)

I think this is a matter of etiquette. I'm taught not to wear a watch with a dinner jacket since you have to enjoy the evening and have a good time. Time is no issue such parties. I bet you can find some more information about black tie-etiquettes.

If you really prefer to wear a watch I would skip the Rolex (too overwhelming) and the Speedy (too sporty, even on a black or brown strap). Go for the sophisticated (repaired) Connie or don't wear a watch.

neilfrancis, kkt, Maximus84 and 4 others like this.
  12. MaiLollo Feb 23, 2017

I personnally tend not to follow etiquette, I wear suits everyday and I wear a Pogue on a bracelet, divers on natos and all kinds of vintage chronos on straps. I bought a Nomos which was "perfect" for my outfit but I didn't enjoy it and kept it for 3 days.
    Wear xhat you enjoy and I would advise not to pay attention to etiquette and go with the speedy!

ewand and Maximus84 like this.
  13. KstateSkier Feb 23, 2017

I find a speedy on steel wears well with a tux. But then again so does my SMPO if Im feeling flashy.

Maximus84 likes this.
  14. tyrantlizardrex Feb 23, 2017

Casio fw91 - because it says "I'm too damned cool for this shit".

Nitzbar, Garv, Tubber and 4 others like this.
  15. Willem023 Feb 23, 2017

+1
    Love this first posting. Welcome to the OF (where you will loose your too stringent hairs a bit during the coming years...)
    :whistling: :thumbsup:

JeroenS likes this.
  16. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Feb 23, 2017

Speedmaster on a bracelet.

Maximus84 likes this.
  17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 23, 2017

Wear the Constellation, hopefully you'll be having fun and no need check the time

Jwit and JeroenS like this.
  18. Diverdown Feb 23, 2017

Speedy on its bracelet. No question

Maximus84 likes this.
  19. Maximus84 Feb 23, 2017

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I'm aware of the traditional etiquette of not wearing a watch with a tux however I'm someone who always has a watch on my wrist - not only would it feel odd, but if I wanted to see the time I'd end up looking at my phone - surely more 'rude'.

The event is tomorrow - not time to get the Connie fixed (needs to go to Omega) and the strap won't fit the Speedy.

If I have time I may look for a strap tomorrow before the event, if not I'm leaning towards Speedy on bracelet.

ahartfie, oddboy and Foo2rama like this.
  20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 23, 2017