Forums Latest Members
  1. IDXM May 29, 2017

New to this forum, so apologies if this has been overly discussed. Just browsing through eBay, it seems like most of the vintage Omega black dials have been redone. I must admit I'm torn. I understand it loses value, but the redials appear nicer to my untrained eye. At what point, i.e., price range, does the loss of value overcome possible aesthetic questions? I know this is subjective, but would love to here opinions as newcomer to vintage Omega collecting. Here is a redialed watch:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112346999497Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Here is one that appears untouched:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152556888158Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

IDXM

2. TexOmega May 29, 2017

One thing to understand from the beginning, this forum is composed of very hard core collectors(and a bunch of hanger-ons like me:D) where the very thought of buying a redial is frowned upon.

What really matters, how do you like the look?

Value drops VERY precipitously with a redial. Know that going into negotiations.

OMGRLX and IDXM like this.
  3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 29, 2017

The second one is also a redial.

IDXM likes this.
  4. IDXM May 29, 2017

Thanks, and still looks bad.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 29, 2017

First one is polished to death as well and never was a Seamaster, complete fantasy dial.

IDXM and yuralagun like this.
  6. ac106 May 29, 2017

I don't really have a problem with a redial if it's decent. And it's subjective I know. I sometimes see one posted here that looks great and other members are posting puke emojis about it. Remember no one will ever know but you. I mean unless you run into a WIS in real life and take it off for him to look at it. So for normal people, no one.

What gets me is the crazy prices asked for what amounts to a collection of parts. I think a lot of dodgy dealers get these watches redialed and find themselves under water and ask high prices hoping someone will bail (bale?) them out. So if I could get a nice (subjective I get it!) redial at like 20-50% of an all original piece I would think about. But there is no way in hell I am paying some sort of premium for it.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 29, 2017

For a hanger-on, you sure have a beautiful black dial Connie. You may now post the obligatory photo as proof.

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 29, 2017

Collectors will pay a premium for originality and integrity. That's their passion and I understand and applaud their enthusiasm. Their knowledge and insight largely contributes to the tremendous pool of knowledge on this forum.

There also exists a large pool of buyers/owners who are far less concerned with the originality and integrity and are perhaps driven more by aesthetics - they see a watch they like the look of and buy it to wear rather than to have it as part of a collection per se. Maybe they simply don't want a watch with signs of ageing.

I believe both types and the various shades of opinion across the spectrum can co-exist here (though not sometimes completely happily ;))

I respect both and hope they get pleasure from whatever they own.

9. IDXM May 29, 2017

Besides the Omega forum for sale and eBay, what are the best, most reputable sources for vintage watches? Is there a list in the forum I haven't seen?

10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 29, 2017

And just to make it absolutely clear, sellers who describe vintage watches as "authentic and original" when they are clearly not deserve condemnation from all sides.

For example, a dial with T Swiss Made T and no lume on the hands or the concavities in the hour markers????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEAUTIFUL...9fccf7d&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=152556888158Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

(If I'm wrong, I'll edit and remove)

Edited May 29, 2017
    Nathan1967, Foo2rama and IDXM like this.
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 29, 2017

12. TexOmega May 29, 2017

You mean this bauble?

Ref. 2852.JPG Perfect Black Dial.JPG Cal. 505 Y1958.JPG

Nathan1967, OMGRLX and IDXM like this.
  13. TexOmega May 29, 2017

DSC04209.JPG

Or this one?

Nathan1967, OMGRLX and IDXM like this.
  14. kreyke May 29, 2017

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 29, 2017