Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo Aug 21, 2015

Some of you might have come across this listing on ebay this week. It’s a 2852 black dial Constellation that appears good, too good. I kept coming back to the photos to find the evidence of a redial but I have to say the fonts are dead on. The minute indexes look good too. The only thing I could focus on with the dial is that the lettering should be silver. I asked the seller to describe the coloring since silver can be lost in photos and he said “white” which is a red flag. The hands are completely wrong which is a sign that the watch has been touched by someone in the past. The caseback is also worn which to me is inconsistent with the pristine condition of the dial. Too many question marks to make a serious run at it but I was still planning to enter a last minute bid. I’m sure my bid would have been inadequate anyway. Now that someone has made the seller an offer he can’t refuse, what do you guys think? Can anyone shoot holes in the dial? Anything else I missed? You think this is a service dial? I'm still curious.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

limo likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 21, 2015

Looks off to me, but these are not a focus of mine.
    redial.jpg

3. ConElPueblo Aug 21, 2015

That dial is too pristine to be true. I believe the 9 and 7 o'clock markers are a bit off position, looking at the minutes track.
    The observatory is nearly melted.

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Aug 21, 2015

Dial could be MiC

E looks wrong on raised Omega? I thought the middle should have a bit shorter line....

As said, looks a bit too good so there's likely a story we aren't privy to...I think. Dial just seems inconsistently perfect given scratched up case&sworn down conservatory....

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. wsfarrell Aug 21, 2015

If that's a redial it's the best I've ever seen. Here's a similar eBay watch offered by alex200373:

alex2.jpg

And here's the logo:

alex3.jpg

The connectors between O and M, G and A, look identical to me.

Not inconceivable that someone could wear the heck out of the case (which was then overpolished), without affecting the dial.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 21, 2015

Or a factory replacement. I just took another look at it.

I think the hands are a bit too long, so those are replacements too. Shouldn't be too difficult to find the correct hands for this model.

Someone will be bidding just for the dial.
    gatorcpa

7. Selbo Aug 21, 2015

Seller ended the auction early likely due to a high offer. I'm with wsfarrell, if this is the current quality of redials (and it very well may be a redial) then I'm out of the Constellation game.

8. JohnSteed Aug 21, 2015

Seller watches the forum like many others do ...

9. sliceoftime_ Aug 22, 2015

Yup, saw this one too, wasn't sure, but the watch is gone now anyways. We shall see if it pops up one of these days.