Forums Latest Members
  1. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

After posting a thread to say I was interested in a Seamaster 2234.50, today I have been offered/found two 2254.50's... (not on this forum). It turns out that is the ref for the model with the bracelet I am looking for.

While that was a bit unexpected, I need a bit of advice please.

Here's the thing - I am happy with the condtion of both watches. But one has just a box & no warranty cards or papers (from the serial no, it dates to late 2000/early 2001). The other has all papers and cards & has a slightly later serial no, but not by much. Both are sold by dealers.

The one without the cards is £350 cheaper & is the lowest price I have seen for a decent example for a while. The shop has limited information due to the lack of cards but seems reputable & offers a returns policy and 12 month warranty. The one with papers is more expensive, sold by a dealer with what looks like a good track record and who is knowledgable about the watch and its value. The price he is now offering me is fair, but not amazing. The is one small ding on this watch.

So - is it really worth £350 to have one with the warranty card and original papers ? I heard somewhere that Omega can issue new ID cards when they service a watch - but I have no idea if that is true...

All opinions and guidance are welcome !

thanks

2. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2012

That's an aweful lot of extra money for the papers - and it has a ding. I'm interested in the watch, the rest is just gravy. I could see spending an extra hundred for the whole 9 yards but not that much!

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

IMHO the box and papers is more important when the watch still under warranty or when you are considering the provenance of the watch for added value, such as a vintage watch. Your intended purchase meets neither of these criteria. The extra expenditure gets you nothing here.

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

Thanks chaps, that's a help. I've got them to put it to one side for me & I'll buy it tomorrow.

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2012

The watch arrived this morning & I'm very pleased with it. The bracelet is super comfy, but showing signs of wear on the clasp. So I might put it on a NATO/RAF strap to save it from further damage. Very pleased I went for it & getting it at a good price only helps !

I'll try to post some pics soon :)

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2012

Was going to say, pics as always are mandatory

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2012

If you are interested there are various simple procedures to renew the appearance of your bracelet to original, such as directional brushing with a fine Scotchbrite cleaning pad. Not difficult at all to do, simply mask off the shinny areas with tape and then vigorously brush in one direction. The clasp is particularly easy to do.

HjBmAtOt.jpg

8. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2012

Green Scotch-Brites are a watch owner's friend. They're surprisingly good for restoring brushed surfaces providing there aren't deep dings. Desk diving scuffs and scrapes vanish. Your just need to swipe it in a straight line.

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2012

Thanks for the tips, I might give that a go. The main problem on this one is that the legs of the raised logo on the clasp are worn nearly flat.

Anyway, here are a couple of quick phone photos (thumbnails)...

IMG00132-20120705-1651.jpg IMG00133-20120705-1652.jpg

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2012

Looks like a very clean example!

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 5, 2012

The pictures aren't so good. It's clean, but nowhere near excellent condition. Quite a few little marks when you get really close - but I bought it to wear, not look at !

Might get a regimental sports strap for it as I'll be using it for travel ...