Bit of a mutt in Sothebys nyc (“military” SM300)

Current bid at $18,000 for that mutt. Three hours remain and I expect the final price will go up.

$26,000 is why auctions can be a good place to sell, people often get whipped up with FOMO and bid more than they would if it was a straight sale. Paying the auction house 5% for handling the sale (shipping, cataloguing, insurance) is cheap, consignor is probably very happy. (Just noticed that Sotheby's raised the seller's fee to 10%, and the buyers premium is now 20%, this is a recent change. It used to be 27% for the buyer and 5% for the seller. But if you have a desirable watch to sell the seller's fee can be negotiated down).
Edited:

Like 2
That's why Sothebys gets the big bucks. I guarantee if I auctioned that same watch on eBay I would not do as well. Not even close.

Like 2
I’m wondering if we are going to see a new member in a few weeks asking us to verify that his MOD SM300 is all original.

IMG_2020.jpeg

Like 6
I’m wondering if we are going to see a new member in a few weeks asking us to verify that his MOD SM300 is all original.

IMG_2020.jpeg
:thumbsup:
.. even openly selling a watch that is essentially a Franken, must have some kind of impact on Sotheby's reputation, you'd think they'd run a million miles from something like that

.. even openly selling a watch that is essentially a Franken, must have some kind of impact on Sotheby's reputation, you'd think they'd run a million miles from something like that

Like 1
Wonderful tune, but permanently tainted by a certain orange man, who didn't see the fundraising irony 3 days ago, maybe it's a sponsorship thing? I don't know:

Like 1
I think the note about having a previous different dial was added later. Possibly they didn’t know and were advised about it after listing?

I think the note about having a previous different dial was added later. Possibly they didn’t know and were advised about it after listing?

I think you're probably right, but it's still surprising they didn't pull it, they do that in other markets often ..they must know that anything tainted like this, would get spoken about in the trade and places like this, especially given the Philips 57 (2915-1) Speedmaster debacle that's still being spoken about to this day, although it's not quite in the same league, and they were Frank about it ..pardon the pun.

Just for future reference then. To the left how it looked back in 2016 at Bonhams, and in 2021/22 at Watches of Knightsbridge. And to the right the current 'look'. The force is absolutly not strong with this one ::facepalm2::

upload_2024-6-12_20-3-5.png

Like 3
Quoted member kox
Just for future reference then. To the left how it looked back in 2016 at Bonhams, and in 2021/22 at Watches of Knightsbridge. And to the right the current 'look'. The force is absolutly not strong with this one ::facepalm2::

upload_2024-6-12_20-3-5.png

Oh wow.. What a difference! The Bezel looks the same, but the Case looks very different!
I wonder if they swapped the original movement out as well??

Oh wow.. What a difference! The Bezel looks the same, but the Case looks very different!
I wonder if they swapped the original movement out as well??
It's the same caseband as in the old auctions. Just dressed up 'a bit'. Movement is also the same, but again still so very wrong.

Like 1
... actually it could be the same case just very bad lighting in the second

Like 1
Here's another authentic military SM300 I just found on eBay:
whatsapp-image-2024-02-27-at-162440-2_600.jpeg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156085799562
gotta love that authentic stubbies dial with date:thumbsup:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.