Forums Latest Members
  1. Peppe Dec 30, 2014

Hi all,

At some point I will add a birth year watch to the collection. I have however found that 1979 was not the year of the sexiest watches!

What would you get from 1979? Max bugdet maybe EUR 1200 or so.

Interested in hearing your thoughts!

amiriqbal likes this.
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 30, 2014

Just bought this one from 1979. Not Omega but loving it! Valjoux cal 7731.
    Not too many around and slightly above your budget, but not too badly!
    image.jpg

3. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 30, 2014

4. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 30, 2014

Fritz and Alpha like this.
  5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 30, 2014

haha that's an excellent point!

6. Peppe Dec 30, 2014

Haha! Two completely new ways of seeing the issue! :)

Well jordn... they probably have a point. Finding a watch from that specific "era" might be fine as well. And I am not going to be anal about it. I really need to like the watch if I am to buy it as well. I will not buy just for the sake of it.

Really like your buy Nothernman... seen a few around and they are beautiful.

7. ulackfocus Dec 30, 2014

Buy a watch with a serial number that dates it to your birth year, or contact the manufacturer and find out when it was first sold and count that as a birth year. Screw what anyone in some magazine says because that's only their opinion - especially that particular magazine. If AskMen doesn't have all the facts, they'll apparently just write whatever they think will generate conversation.... after all, they're the ones with the Watch Snob asshat, right?

I know for a fact brands like Eterna, Audemars Piguet, JLC, Longines, and Omega can give you details like the EXACT date a watch was invoiced to one of their agents, and there are plenty of good references for serial numbers.

REckroat and Northernman like this.
  8. Peppe Dec 30, 2014

Haha... thanks... I will try my best. Many opinions on this one apparently. Did not see that coming!

Well... challenge is still to find one that I like. Not that much success with that so far.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 30, 2014

Just keep collecting and one day BANG you have two that you would never have guessed are birth year untill researched.

You can have some models made for a few years so the same watch could do 4-5 birth years. So anything in the seventies ;)

10. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 30, 2014

Haha I completely agree with you that Watch Snob is a huge asshat, but I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for. In defense of the article, I've met James and he is as knowledgeable and well-researched about vintage watches as anyone. I personally don't have any strong feelings about it either way. just thought it would be an interesting read.

11. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 3, 2015

I share your birth year! I was not looking for a birth year watch but a 5500 Air King. The seller said it was 1979 era and I thought well that is kinda cool. I had never contemplated a birth watch. When it arrived I looked up the date information and it turns out it dates from 1977. Oh well. So here is an option under your price cap that has a great history and was produced in the year 1979. Air King.JPG

12. Peppe Jan 3, 2015

Yea... love them... but they are only available up to 34mm diameter, right??? I have tiny wrists, but 34 would feel very small I think. Looks good on you though, so I am wrong somewhere :)

13. RCAFBuster Jan 3, 2015

As previously mentioned, I'd just keep your eyes open and one day, 'bang' you'll find the one that appeals. I got lucky with my birth year watch in that the vendor already had the Omega Extract, which dates it 3 weeks older than myself. It was a lucky hit that was meant to be.

14. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 3, 2015

Thanks! Yes, this is a 34mm watch. Good luck with your search!

15. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 5, 2015

Lol Dennis "leads" with a haymaker superman punch, FTW in the comments section of Men's Health.

Poor James; never had a chance. *whamo!*