Forums Latest Members

Biggin Hill Festival of Flight 2015 (Photo Heavy) Updated with News of an Upcoming Special Event

1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 13, 2015

OK, so just having got home from another great but in some ways frustrating day, here are some of the highlights.

Unfortunately, because of a band of bad weather across the midlands, several of the planes couldn't take off from their home bases and we didn't get the Breitling Wing Walkers, Blenheim, Swordfish, B17 or Chinook, but it is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. We got some fantastic tributes and saw the Red Arrows take off to deliver the fly-past for the Trouping of the Colour to mark Her Majesty's official birthday, then return before delivering their display.

Firstly, for the first time in the UK, a genuine German ME 109 (albeit a "G" rather than the "E" that took part in the Battle of Britain)
    ME 109 G.jpg

This one is owned by Airbus whereas the one we normally see is a post-war Spanish one, powered by a Rolls Royce engine. It has the genuine Daimler engine that sounds menacing.

Now for the Red Arrows and their new (for this season) formation, "The Spitfire":
    RA Spitfire 1.jpg RA Spitfire 2.jpg RA Spitfire 3_edited-1.jpg
    RA Spitfire 4_edited-1.jpg
    RA Spitfire 5_edited-1.jpg

Then the modern and the old - a Typhoon with a Spitfire:
    Broyters In Arms 3_edited-1.jpg

The Red Arrows with three Spitfires and two Hurricanes:
    Tribute 1_edited-1.jpg
    Tribute 2_edited-1.jpg
    Tribute 3_edited-1.jpg
    Tribute 4_edited-1.jpg
    ... and finally, a couple of Spitfires:
    Brothers in Arms 1.jpg
    Brothers in Arms 2.jpg
    Broyhers In Arms 3.jpg

Something else to be announced on Monday.......

Edited to remove the dust spot on the sensor and I'm not sure why the second copy of the Spit and Typhoon...

Broyhers In Arms 1.jpg
    Edited Jun 15, 2015
    Mad Dog, X350 XJR, ChrisN and 3 others like this.
  2. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jun 13, 2015

Fantastic. I love the Typhoon/Spitfire pic

3. CdnWatchDoc Jun 13, 2015

Great pics! Sounds like a good day, despite the weather issues!

4. ChrisN Jun 14, 2015

Looks a good day out. As we're on the subject of aircraft, I just saw this today via the BBC. A cold war icon.

I don't think any of these are still flying, unfortunately.
    Chris

Mad Dog and Stewart H like this.
  5. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jun 14, 2015

Really enjoyed that thanks.
    "I should say so" lol

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 15, 2015

Here is the update.

Sunday August 18 1940 has become to be known as "The Hardest Day" when the Luftwaffe made an attempt to destroy Biggin Hill and Kenley aerodromes completely - thankfully without success.

To mark the 75th anniversary of that day, a very special event is taking place and we are unlikely ever to see its like again.

A total of 26 Spitfires and Hurricanes are gathering at Biggin Hill and are going to fly three "patrols" over southern England, before returning to Biggin Hill and, no doubt, re-enact something over the airfield.

A total of 3,000 tickets went on sale at 09:00 BST this morning, so I wanted to ensure I had secured a couple before I posted this.

Details of "The Hardest Day" can be found here:
    http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/0028.html

And details for the anniversary event can be found here:
    http://biggin75.strikingly.com/

7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jun 15, 2015

Thanks for the photos Stewart and also for the heads up re the upcoming event.

I grew up and did all my schooling in Biggin Hill. I've got a small album of my first ever photographs somewhere from a Biggin Hill Air Show, probably 1973 or 1974, back when I was around five or six. Bet you can guess the quality of mine are nowhere near yours.

Hoping to get back (now settled in Australia) in August to see my Nan who's not been doing so well so this event could be on the cards. Not sure how long tickets will last though. Will have to call the family tonight.
    Thanks again. :thumbsup:

8. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jun 22, 2015

Outstanding Stuart. The Spitfire and Typhoonh are great. Old school and new school.