Forums Latest Members
  1. AnotherJones Jul 11, 2017

Hi All,

I wish to say a big overdue thank you to the entire forum, for being so welcoming and helpful in my quest for my first vintage Omega. I did not expect to find such a welcoming and friendly community!

I must especially say thanks to @ConElPueblo. Who was incredibly patient with my many Newb Questions and gave me much great advice. Following this, he offered me the opportunity to purchase his immaculate cal. 501 Seamaster ref. 2648. I obviously jumped at this chance, and it is now my pride and joy. I am most grateful. I have attached some of my images below, the movement one is from @ConElPueblo, as I don't have the correct opening tool, and do not wish to damage it!

After my new purchase, my parents realised my new found love of old Omega's, and it turns out my Dad owns a 1970's Geneve (which is in a state), and my great grandma had a very very old fob watch, which is stunning. I will post some photos of the Geneve once it has been serviced and repaired. The really old fob watch, will get its own thread soon, I know how much everyone loves a thread starting with "My grandma owned this..." !!! I can promise it won't appear on Fleabay though!

Cheers all!

IMG_0154[1].JPG IMG_0157[1].JPG IMG_0159[1].JPG IMG_0160[1].JPG WP_20170621_19_24_48_Pro.jpg

GregH, highbob, Andy K and 15 others like this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 11, 2017

what's a "fob" watch?
    Anyhow, congrats to both you and @ConElPueblo, who's a really nice guy indeed :thumbsup:
    Looking forward to seeing those other pics!

BrianMcKay likes this.
  3. TexOmega Jul 11, 2017

Small watch, sometimes round like a marble sometimes regular shaped, pinned to blouse/sweater on a ribbon or some such tether. I've seen some worn around neck as a necklace.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 11, 2017

Thank you dear @TexOmega :)

TexOmega likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jul 12, 2017

Cheers, Rich :thumbsup:

Happy to get you started!

As I also told Rich in our conversation, my first proper vintage watch was a cal. 501 Seamaster - a really nice, quality piece that always should be room for in a collection. I happened to be wearing the one above when writing to him and thought it could be a nice starting place for Rich, too.

Hope it will be a good experience!

propervinyl likes this.
  6. Edward53 Jul 12, 2017

Great post and what a superb first Omega!

AnotherJones likes this.
  7. AnotherJones Jul 12, 2017

I think it is the best starting place I could have hoped for. I will send you an update, once I have had it serviced and hopefully one day will visit Denmark to take you for a beer I definitely owe you!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 12, 2017

Nice and clean, its always a better option to go for a nice quality original example of a more accessible reference rather than settling for a poor example of something more expensive like a piepan. They're great daily wearers these and work with a wide variety of strap and bracelet options including both the BoR and flat-link. Welcome to OF and enjoy your Seamaster!

AnotherJones and propervinyl like this.
  9. perks713 Jul 12, 2017

That's a fine lookin watch, I'm definitely bookmarking this thread so I can use the images as a reference when looking for one myself!

AnotherJones and propervinyl like this.
  10. khanmu Jul 12, 2017

Very nice watch! Good luck with what will, going by the average OF member, become an enjoyable, all consuming and obsessive passion!

AnotherJones likes this.