Forums Latest Members

BHI - Horological Journal - Article of the Month

1. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 6, 2016

I have been writing watchmaking articles for the British Horological Institute, HJ, for a number of years; in the January 2016 issue my recent article on a JLC has been selected as the Article of the Month, and is viewable by the general public on the BHI website.

If you are interested in having a look at it, you can download it as a PDF here:

http://bhi.co.uk/horological-journal/article-of-the-month/

It's gratifying to be recognized for your contributions every now and then...

Rob

homebrw, lando, nickw and 9 others like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2016

Excellent article! Especially since I own the exact same watch in 18K:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one has never been opened by me since purchase in 2005. Although I think the issues you found would be exactly the same. Even the pattern of spots on the dial are similar.

At least now I know where to go.

Thank you for that valuable information.
    gatorcpa

Horlogerie, JohnSteed and Hijak like this.
  3. Pvt-Public Jan 6, 2016

Good read, thank you.

4. LawBrk Jan 7, 2016

Great read, congratulations!

5. vincereynard Jan 7, 2016

Excellent article.
    Hopefully, one day, I shall actually understand it!

6. wsfarrell Jan 7, 2016

Nicely done, and good point on thin screw slots. Do you know of something better than the Bergeon 2461 for sharpening?

7. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Jan 7, 2016

Wish I can have JLC someday

8. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 8, 2016

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Actually, I don't own a sharpening tool other than an India stone and diamond files. I do all the screwdriver dressing freehand, the same can be said of graver sharpening for use on the lathe, all done freehand.

I can get the fit I need between the blade and screw slot without the use of a sharpening tool. I just never could justify the cost or reason for a scredriver sharpener tool, either Bergeon or Horotec.

Rob

9. ChrisN Jan 8, 2016

Very interesting Rob and nice to know that these articles are aimed at a level which is practical but not too detailed.

Those tension springs can be a bit of a pain, can’t they. On the Omega 550 series movements, when the auto bridge is mounted they are supported by that and the hand can then be pressed on so, I would say many people have done that and about 50% I’ve seen now have the “dimple”. These are 50 Euros from Cousins so that’s really annoying if they are badly marked. Setting the tension is a judgment call as you say but I suspect easier nowadays with the electronic timegraphers as you can tweak, check how the second hand looks and then check for any hit on the amplitude and keep repeating.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Regards, Chris